Moving, need help

Moving, need help

This is a discussion on Moving, need help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving in the coming weeks. My question is directed at MN members or members who have knowledge of Mn laws on my question. ...

Moving, need help

I am moving in the coming weeks. My question is directed at MN members or members who have knowledge of Mn laws on my question. I know that I have 30 day from moving to change my DL and CWP. My question is once I change my license and go to the sheriffs office to change my CWP, do they change it on the spot and issue a new license. I don't want to be without a permit while they fart around with changing things. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 12th, 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: fixed language word around
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

From MN BCA

19. Do I need to notify the Sheriff’s Office when I move?
    Yes, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor.

20. Do the address and/or my new driver’s license number on my permit to carry need to match the address and/or drivers license number on my driver’s license?
    No. A permit holder, however, is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may, however, obtain an updated permit at a cost of $ 10.00. There is a statutory requirement to change the address on your driver’s license within 30 days after changing your residence (171.11).

The way I read it, you only have to give the issuing sheriff your new address. You do not need to get an updated permit. Your permit is still good until it expires. Then renew with your then-sheriff.

So is a certified letter sufficent in notifying the issuing sheriff ? Or do I need to go there in person to do so. I am staying in the state of Mn
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

The statute MN 624.714

doesn't specify "How" to notify:

Subd. 7a. Change of address; loss or destruction of permit.

(a) Within 30 days after
    changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card,
    the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to
    provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first
    offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation
    of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement
    permit card by paying $10 to the sheriff. The request for a replacement permit card must be made
    on an official, standardized application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and,
    except in the case of an address change, must include a notarized statement that the permit card
    has been lost or destroyed.
    I would call the issuing sheriff and ask...that call may be all that is required...some sheriffs may require it in writing.

Links