Wife's college prepared what to do in case of shooting video.

This is a discussion on Wife's college prepared what to do in case of shooting video. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that we have learned that rocks and books are great defensive weapons, we must address the obvious danger of them being used as offensive ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wife's college prepared what to do in case of shooting video.

Now that we have learned that rocks and books are great defensive weapons, we must address the obvious danger of them being used as offensive weapons by people who had a sad childhood, feel discriminated against, or have a weird religious belief. All the rocks and books MUST be removed from the campus - it only makes sense.

But fists and feet can also be used as offensive weapons - if you must bring yours on campus, be sure to use handcuffs and leg irons. And since your brain is your most important weapon, leave it at home, as the makers of that video obviously have done.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    That if there is a shooting, they should run, hide, and if those options are not available pick up rocks and books to defend themselves.

Utterly ridiculous! I think this is one of those situations where "better to ask forgiveness later than permission now".

Of course if you defended your life and others against a gunman on campus then you wouldn't be asking for forgiveness.... you should be expecting THANKS

Never bring a book to a gunfight

You could ask if the graduating class of Physics majors has figured out how thick the book you need to carry needs to be to stop a .45?
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

If she's allowed to use rocks for self defense, then maybe she needs to rig up a shoulder holster for her slingshot. Dennis the Menace was apparently YEARS ahead of the rest of us in terms of armed self defense! Wonder who you apply to for a permit to carry a concealed slingshot?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    My wife is a CC permit holder. Due to the 1-2 combo of her job not allowing carry (not even in the car) and that she attends college two times a week, she really can't CC.

Her college prepared a video for every student to watch that let them know that CC was not legal on campus. That if there is a shooting, they should run, hide, and if those options are not available pick up rocks and books to defend themselves.

I was so dumbfounded (as was she) that we have to wonder if those who put together the video are pro-carry, and were doing some disguised message that CC should be legal.
    Wondering if the video shows the book after penetration from a high velocity handgund round? One can only imagine how effective a book would be at stopping any bullet? Maybe Police Depts. could save money and issue vests made of old college books, eh?

Did the video also show them bending over and kissing their butts goodbye like the '50's "Duck and Cover" films on nuclear explosions? About as useful as those.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    ...just the ones the students carry...
    Yes, this is what they were referring to, books and your book bag, the book bag, chairs, etc. All leading to overpowering with numbers. EVEN DRINKS TO THE FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...I applaud the school in taking on the shooting topic head on. Finally, schools are starting to realize that telling students to cower in a corner and wait their turn to be slaughtered isn't a very good idea.
    Ya, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by tom n8ies View Post
    ...I thought the state just passed something to do with carrying at colleges?...
    I thought it had not yet been voted on. You bring up a great point I had forgot about, and I wonder if that is why the video was shown, to give awareness of the issue.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Wondering if the video shows the book after penetration from a high velocity handgund round? One can only imagine how effective a book would be at stopping any bullet? Maybe Police Depts. could save money and issue vests made of old college books, eh?
    funny you should ask that... mythbusters to the rescue!
    YouTube - Mythbusters - What is Bullet Proof? In 720p HD

My wife is taking a few courses at O.C.C. to fill in a few classes she needs as prep for a masters degree she wants to get.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Setting the ccw option's aside, I applaud the school in taking on the shooting topic head on. Finally, schools are starting to realize that telling students to cower in a corner and wait their turn to be slaughtered isn't a very good idea.
    SIXTO is 100% correct. It focuses heavly on survival mindset. I watched it, and it is a good video, little things like spread out and don't group up so you can attack from many directions, don't think the police are going to have the time to walk you out, and may consider you a threat as they enter, keep your hands in view, etc. Here is the promo Shot's Fired When Lightning Strikes. However the school is providing a 20 minute version for those who go to the school. Shots Fired on Campus. You have to have a student password to get the 20 min version. So props to O.C.C. for at least addressing the issue.

I misunderstood my wife's confusion on the video. It was her frustration that she could not legaly CC.
    NRA Member

I hope these "IDIOTS" have shown this training video to their own children so they would know how to act during an active shooter incident. I mean they are good parents I hope!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I wonder if grabbing a school administrator and using him/her as a bulletproof vest would be acceptable??
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Rocks available at the bookstore

Assorted sized rocks available at the bookstore. They come plain or painted in the school colors. We also have used rocks for sale at deep discount.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Rocks might be OK for a rock fight. Are they going to allow 'shooters' to carry rocks? Now that would be fair.

Perhaps a question to ask after the video like, like:

When the police show up several minutes after the shooting starts, what is their tool of choice to stop the massacre? Police rocks?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It'd be one thing if they were just stupid enough to think a ban on guns would deter bad people, but they obviously recognize that their ban does nothing and still insist on disarming the good guys.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Rocks might be OK for a rock fight. Are they going to allow 'shooters' to carry rocks? Now that would be fair.

Perhaps a question to ask after the video like, like:

When the police show up several minutes after the shooting starts, what is their tool of choice to stop the massacre? Police rocks?
    The video is nothing like that, and while I started this thread off as negative, now that I have seen the video, I think the school is doing the right thing.

The video stresses the how having a survival mentality, and believing you can take action that can make a difference. At the same time it is realistic, letting you know LEO may take a while, and even then, might mistake you as a threat or not have the time to help you.

http://campus.shotsfireddvd.com/

The full version is better than the preview. The school paid to show it in classes, and also on-line if you have a student id and registration password. It is no better than some cable survivalist show, but for people that may have never viewed such a program, it is a solid.

I think that is something we call all respect. We all carry pistols, but there is a good chance you might be fighting for your life against a group with ARs or AKs. You are still on the raw end of the deal, but better to pull that pistol then to just roll over.
    Last edited by Thanis; May 14th, 2010 at 01:59 AM.
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links