Wife's college prepared what to do in case of shooting video.

This is a discussion on Wife's college prepared what to do in case of shooting video. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say what you will about rocks vs. guns etc, but if a rock or text book is all I have to defend myself with, I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wife's college prepared what to do in case of shooting video.

Administrator
    Say what you will about rocks vs. guns etc, but if a rock or text book is all I have to defend myself with, I guess it might be nice to have some ideas how to do so effectively.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I thought the saying was, "Don't bring a knife to gunfight." Where did they mention anything about rocks!?

I wouldn't even trust myself to hit a gunman with a rock, and I was until recently, thanks too a couple of surgeries, a college pitcher. And where are these "rocks" going to be found anyways? I don't remember my high school or my current college stocking up on self defense rocks!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    We all carry pistols, but there is a good chance you might be fighting for your life against a group with ARs or AKs. You are still on the raw end of the deal, but better to pull that pistol then to just roll over.
    For this reason I kinda want to transfer to the U of Colorado since as of recently they are allowing CC on campus.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    And where are these "rocks" going to be found anyways? I don't remember my high school or my current college stocking up on self defense rocks!
    They will need to pre-position a Box of Rocks in each classroom, right next to the fire extinguisher.

At least they are saying to evade and if you can't, fight for your life with what is available.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post
    They will need to pre-position a Box of Rocks in each classroom, right next to the fire extinguisher.

At least they are saying to evade and if you can't, fight for your life with what is available.
    I would actually bring a box of rocks, appropriately labeled, and leave it in a handy place. When they tried to suspend me for doing so (which they would no doubt do), I'd rub their noses in their own video.

Grab a hold of the teacher's desk, scoot it in front of the door, and then lift it up to block it, holding it in place and reenforcing it, of course. It could and should take ten seconds or so. Yes, a big lecture hall would be harder to secure with several open entrances and unlocked doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Grab a hold of the teacher's desk, scoot it in front of the door, and then lift it up to block it, holding it in place and reenforcing it, of course. It could and should take ten seconds or so. Yes, a big lecture hall would be harder to secure with several open entrances and unlocked doors.
    And then hope that the door is thick enough to stop bullets? I can guarantee you that I'm taking a fire extinguisher or a desk (just something heavy and dense) and chucking it threw the window and getting everyone the heck outta there. If necessary I'll throw myself through the window. I trust myself in all situations, and I train hard enough that when that "storm" blows in, I will be ready. I don't do it because I have a hero complex or some overdeveloped sense of pride, I do it because someone has to do it. Why not have it be me?

Short story for background: I was in Atlanta for the '96 Olympic games, and at the time I was only 8 years old. My family and I were in Centennial Olympic Park when the Mr. Rudolph detonated the bomb he had set up earlier. I can't exactly remember how far away from the bomb we were, but I remember the sudden loud noise and the brisk wind from the shockwave. Everything was real quiet for a bit (minus the ringing in my ears and the eventual screaming) and it seemed everyone around me was frozen in place. It was odd because all I could think about was how to leave, while everyone else seemed to have stopped thinking at all. I started yelling at people to get moving, and I grabbed my little brother and my mom and we started running away. When I looked back to make sure my dad was following me, I realized there was a crowd following us... (Luckily no one in my family was hurt).

It doesn't take much to get people to act in an emergency, all you need is one person to step up. It isn't heroic, it's just something someone has to do, no matter who they are. It is of the utmost importance that someone does something, with no fear of making a mistake. The only wrong decision indecision.

"The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile." -- Plato

Long post. I hope some of you find some use in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post

I think I'll just bring a box of baseballs. I've got a few hundred still lying around my place. I'm sure a 90 mph fastball to the head will get their attention. Although, I hope I've got back up because a miss would be absolutely devastating, and a shot to anywhere but the head wouldn't do nearly enough damage to take someone down, and even then, a "headshot" may not even do the trick.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Don't forget the bat.

Oh and my 'survival mentality' includes a firearm FWIW.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Don't forget the bat.

Oh and my 'survival mentality' includes a firearm FWIW.
    Ah thanks, I'll be sure pack a bat into my bag.

My 'survival mentality' also includes a firearm or two, but in college that equals a felony... If only...

I think I have a solution to the no carry on campus. Everyone should carry a potato cannon. In Florida, a potato cannon is considered a recreational device, like a Frisbee, and not a weapon, well, unless used as a weapon.

I'm kidding of course.

Interesting thought, exactly what is the states definition of a firearm. A "hot" air rifle or pistol may carry the day. Better than a rock at any rate.

Yes, the door and the desk ought to be thick enough to stop most 9mm bullets, at least, with desks and chairs piled up behind it. Don't overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    And then hope that the door is thick enough to stop bullets? I can guarantee you that I'm taking a fire extinguisher or a desk (just something heavy and dense) and chucking it threw the window and getting everyone the heck outta there. If necessary I'll throw myself through the window. I trust myself in all situations, and I train hard enough that when that "storm" blows in, I will be ready. I don't do it because I have a hero complex or some overdeveloped sense of pride, I do it because someone has to do it. Why not have it be me?

Short story for background: I was in Atlanta for the '96 Olympic games, and at the time I was only 8 years old. My family and I were in Centennial Olympic Park when the Mr. Rudolph detonated the bomb he had set up earlier. I can't exactly remember how far away from the bomb we were, but I remember the sudden loud noise and the brisk wind from the shockwave. Everything was real quiet for a bit (minus the ringing in my ears and the eventual screaming) and it seemed everyone around me was frozen in place. It was odd because all I could think about was how to leave, while everyone else seemed to have stopped thinking at all. I started yelling at people to get moving, and I grabbed my little brother and my mom and we started running away. When I looked back to make sure my dad was following me, I realized there was a crowd following us... (Luckily no one in my family was hurt).

It doesn't take much to get people to act in an emergency, all you need is one person to step up. It isn't heroic, it's just something someone has to do, no matter who they are. It is of the utmost importance that someone does something, with no fear of making a mistake. The only wrong decision indecision.

"The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile." -- Plato

Long post. I hope some of you find some use in it.
    Hawk:

That was really good for an 8 year old. You must be somethin' special now.

It is really too bad that we don't have more people like you, because when the shot hits the fan, we need leaders not followers.

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Yes, the door and the desk ought to be thick enough to stop most 9mm bullets, at least, with desks and chairs piled up behind it. Don't overthink it.
    Point taken. I guess it all depends on the amount of time you have.

I still think putting a chair on the door as a barrier and breaking out the windows is the way to go though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links