Teaching an Aussie

Teaching an Aussie

This is a discussion on Teaching an Aussie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend went to Australia to work for Google for a year. His friend is coming stateside to visit. Neither of them have ever shot ...

Teaching an Aussie

My friend went to Australia to work for Google for a year. His friend is coming stateside to visit. Neither of them have ever shot before, and the Aussie likely never will again, so I've been asked
    to teach them this weekend. This will be interesting.

I was listing the guns I have to give them a choice to shoot, and mentioned one as my "jogging fun", to which the Aussie was shocked I would need a gun while running.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I will presume that you have not needed it while jogging. You probaly have other saftey devices that you have not needed (fire extinguishers, ? seatbelts, smoke alarms). A lady in my office OCs while jogging, not for fear of people butof dogs in the area.

Have fun. I have always found it fun to show new people the fun of plinking.

Trinidad friends

My company has an office in Trinidad, a place where applying for a PELLET gun has a waiting period of YEARS. Ironically, the government has a "different" way of dealing with crime. They give housing and monthly stipends to the scum of society with the reasoning, if you give them everything for free, then they will have no reason to brutalize and victimize the remainder of society.....

but I digress...
    when some of the workers from Trinidad came to visit, I took a couple of them to the range to fire off my handguns. I'll never forget the expression on one of the men as he took his first shot ever (he is in his forties!!!) and felt the recoil, "Wow! The power!!".

Then, after we shot a couple thousand rounds, actually, THEY shot a couple thousand rounds while I took pictures of them shooting with their cameras, we all went to my buddy's house and they got to handle and get their pictures taken with some things that have yet to be added to my collection. It was so funny watching them strike their toughest pose as they hoisted my friend's Barrett 338 Lapua rifle, Mac-10, and customized Saiga 12 shotgun up in front of the camera.

They left Texas with a bounty of pictures and stories for their friends and families back home.

KTCameraman

Guess I am lucky, my friends are Swiss! They need no training.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    I will presume that you have not needed it while jogging. You probaly have other saftey devices that you have not needed (fire extinguishers, ? seatbelts, smoke alarms). A lady in my office OCs while jogging, not for fear of people butof dogs in the area.

Have fun. I have always found it fun to show new people the fun of plinking.
    I've had more problems with people than dogs. The dogs are great, they run with me. The people look sketchy though (this is the case all over town, maybe I'm just paranoid). But it's there in case I need it (and it's an LCR and a pain to shoot, so I hope I never do).

I think it'll be interesting to teach them. I haven't taught anyone since my exgirlfriend. Her biggest fear was killing herself or anyone else (that's easy to get over).

At least they won't have any bad habits to deal with. I have found that many new shooters are easy to teach and want to learn. I have helped many women learn to shoot and they were so delightful to help because they took direction and were willing to listen.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Guess I am lucky, my friends are Swiss! They need no training.
    I totally agree with you! I know people from Switzerland and I can tell – although it feels hard - that they are better than what I am with guns. However, if they were Australian I should start with a BB gun
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That's not a bad idea, I have a CO2 airsoft M9 replica I can bring to get them familiar (same weight as an M9, gas blowback, working slide, hammer, safety, etc). And then move them up to the real M11 (easiest real gun I have to shoot, I think).

You have fun! There's nothing like watching someone 'new' to all this learn and enjoy shooting!

Post what happens and how it goes!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

i ran a range at my college for a while. we had a lot of foreign students come in that have never seen a real gun before in their lives.
    START SLOW. these people done realize the VERY BASICS of gun safety or how to handle a gun, so spend a lot of time with inloaded guns practicing how to hold them, practicing the safety rules, lots of dry firing, etc before you even think about getting out some ammo. Then have fun! im sure they will love it.
    As far as chit chat, dont go too 'gun crazy' on them, as they really im sure are new to even the concept of owning and firing guns. Make sure they understand that you have guns for self defence b/c you can, and b/c you are trained, and not that b/c ur some crazy guy or b/c america is such a dangerous place. You dont expect to need it, but crap can happen anywhere, and you know how to properly use a gun, so why not have it avaliable just in case?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

oh, and reading the thread title i thought you were going to be talking about your dog. iv got plenty of tips for them too :) I love my aussie
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Good for you to help our Aussie brothers re-learn the joys of firearms use. Be safe.

We don't want to hear about the "Hey, Mate, hold my Foster's and watch this" moment!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Excellent advice, well said!

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i ran a range at my college for a while. we had a lot of foreign students come in that have never seen a real gun before in their lives.
    START SLOW. these people done realize the VERY BASICS of gun safety or how to handle a gun, so spend a lot of time with inloaded guns practicing how to hold them, practicing the safety rules, lots of dry firing, etc before you even think about getting out some ammo. Then have fun! im sure they will love it.
    As far as chit chat, dont go too 'gun crazy' on them, as they really im sure are new to even the concept of owning and firing guns. Make sure they understand that you have guns for self defence b/c you can, and b/c you are trained, and not that b/c ur some crazy guy or b/c america is such a dangerous place. You dont expect to need it, but crap can happen anywhere, and you know how to properly use a gun, so why not have it avaliable just in case?

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I was so excited when I read the title. I thought someone was talking about teaching ther Aussie dog. LOL. I was bit suprised when I started reading though. Glad you get the opportunity to teach others. Be Safe.

Links