Anyone know the laws concerning carrying pistols in a private plane?

This is a discussion on Anyone know the laws concerning carrying pistols in a private plane? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob P. One other "gun trap" is a shoreline. I don't remember what shoreline exactly but the gist of it is that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know the laws concerning carrying pistols in a private plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    One other "gun trap" is a shoreline. I don't remember what shoreline exactly but the gist of it is that the shoreline and some few ft back from it in a particular Va park is actually in DC. Something to do with the flood stage high water mark being the boundary and nothing to do with actual location being across the dividing river.
    That is Columbia Island. The DC/VA border is the high water mark of the Potomac on the VA side. If you go to Google maps and Google Columbia Island and then zoom it in, you can see the DC/VA demarc running from the inlet just south of Roosevelt Island around the Pentagon Lagoon This puts the entire Island in DC as outlined.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Here is a map I made showing he exact borders of Columbia Island north of National Airport. The GW Parkway is NPS property and as such the law of the jurisdiction the property is in applies. Columbia Island IS IN DC !!!. The distance that the PW covers is about 1 mile in length. If you are caught in DC transporting a weapon in any manner other than that allowed by FOPA, you've committed a felony. It is not worth it IMO to gamble with even a mile of DC property.

Heck, DC would probably arrest you even if you comply with FOPA carry.

if you guys think a new thread is a good ida, let me know

map below:
    DaveH: Is this something that VCDL would have an interest in pursuing legislation to 'fix'. I guess it needs to be done in the US Congress, not the VA State Legislature (Or maybe both), so maybe it's an issue for the NRA to pick up on. I think maybe even Senator Jim Webb, our gun-toting Democrat senator, might support it.

Ideally the fix would be a federally mandated exception to the DC gun laws, which would allow VA gun laws to extend to Columbia island. The alternative would be "Welcome to DC" and "Welcome back to Virginia" sinage in both directions of the GW Parkway covering that 1-mile stretch. Maybe with fine print saying that DC Gun Laws apply.

Also, do you know, has any Virginian ever been charged with a felony under DC Gun Laws for carrying or transporting a firearm on Columbia Island? Hopefully commonsense would prevail in this case and the charges would be dropped or reduced.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    DaveH: Is this something that VCDL would have an interest in pursuing legislation to 'fix'. I guess it needs to be done in the US Congress, not the VA State Legislature (Or maybe both), so maybe it's an issue for the NRA to pick up on. I think maybe even Senator Jim Webb, our gun-toting Democrat senator, might support it.

Ideally the fix would be a federally mandated exception to the DC gun laws, which would allow VA gun laws to extend to Columbia island. The alternative would be "Welcome to DC" and "Welcome back to Virginia" sinage in both directions of the GW Parkway covering that 1-mile stretch. Maybe with fine print saying that DC Gun Laws apply.

Also, do you know, has any Virginian ever been charged with a felony under DC Gun Laws for carrying or transporting a firearm on Columbia Island? Hopefully commonsense would prevail in this case and the charges would be dropped or reduced.
    Using common sense is not DC's strong suit. Remember Marion Barry? Cocaine addict reelected to Mayor and currently on the DC City Council representing Ward 8. Good thing is if you are arrested you will be taken in front of a Federal magistrate instead of a DC Superior Court judge because NPS property is Federal jurisdiction but DC law applies.. that's certainly in your favor in the case of an arrest.

I worked for the DC Govt for 16 years. A more dysfunctional group of people you will not find. I don't think VCDL wants to waste their time on this except signage is an excellent idea. The signs could be placed in VA so DC would have nothing to say about it. DC will never cede one inch of land to VA. Plus there are also too many Congressional and Pentagon VIP's who keep their boats at the Columbia Island Marina who like things just as they are without pulling VA into it. Congress still controls DC and that's just the way they like it. National Airport only was built and exists today because the Congressman didn't want to drive to Baltimore to fly home.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Plus there are also too many Congressional and Pentagon VIP's who keep their boats at the Columbia.
    Bingo!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links