Ridiculous Wait Times for Carry Permits

This is a discussion on Ridiculous Wait Times for Carry Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, first post here but I have been a long time lurker and fan of this site and its membership. I wanted to touch upon ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Wait Times for Carry Permits

Ridiculous Wait Times for Carry Permits

Hello, first post here but I have been a long time lurker and fan of this site and its membership.

I wanted to touch upon wait times for CC permits and I wanted to ask the membership if they know why these wait times are often ridiculously long.

A little background; I worked for seven years for a police department in the communications division. One of my duties was to perform background checks for many different things...including those applying for concealed carry permits.

To do a statewide and National Triple I background check takes about 3 minutes. Most of that 3 minutes is spent keying in the data. The results are almost instantaneous. FBI fingerprints; once submitted they usually take an hour or so but I have seen some take 24 hours.

So I ask....why the 30, 45, 60 or 90+ days wait? I know N.C. checks your status within the states mental health system. While I have never utilized that system I can only imagine that it too is computerized.

Is there something I am not aware of that I am not considering? I realize that the Sheriff's get dozens of these a week but often they have a person assigned strictly to gun permits. I see no real reason why these permits cant be turned around in a week or two except for deliberate delays by the Sheriffs to pospone the inevitable.

Again, if I am missing something please post a reply. I'm at 44 days and waiting here in North Carolina and would be interested in hearing some other residents stories on wait times.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Dont know what to tell you. Mine took only 8 days, in a county known to drag their feet on permits. Maybe being military helped my case. Good luck, yours will come soon, and when it does you will feel like a 5 year old on christmass morning.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

In my county in Pennsylvania, it took 15 minutes. I just had to go to the sheriff's office, fill out the paper work, wait for my background check to go through and pay $25. Walk in.. walk out with your PA license to carry firearms.

Now, my brother-in-law had to wait about 30 days, and my one buddy about two weeks before receiving theirs. Depends on your sheriff here in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    In my county in Pennsylvania, it took 15 minutes. I just had to go to the sheriff's office, fill out the paper work, wait for my background check to go through and pay $25. Walk in.. walk out with your PA license to carry firearms.

Now, my brother-in-law had to wait about 30 days, and my one buddy about two weeks before receiving theirs. Depends on your sheriff here in PA.
    Wow, 15 minutes is quite efficient. Isnt that pretty rare?

Just goes to show that if an agency can do it in 15 minutes then the two month wait times many face are even more unjustified.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Welcome from South Carolina!!!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Welcome from South Carolina!!!
    Thank you Revman. :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mine took 90 days here in Fl. last Aug. I hear it's faster now. The Dept. doing them got swamped and had to hire more people. More of Obama's job inititive!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Mine took about 3 months after the interview was conducted. Add 2 weeks to schedule the interview and about 2-4 weeks to fill out the application, acquire the written and signed reference letters and acquire the other references...and this is considered fast as this county generally takes 5-6 months to review and approve/deny the permits.

The SD not only pulls the DOJ and FBI info but does a thorough background investigation including all of the people on the reference list and who wrote personal letters, some of the employers, most of the neighbors and anyone else I have forgotten to mention...

I am grateful to have mine.

Took eight days for me in Georgia. Well nine days if you count the fact that I had Jury Duty the day that I went over to fill out the paperwork but missed the hours of operation for the fingerprinting/background check division so I had to do that the next day. But from actually doing the background and fingerprinting only eight days. One of the fastest counties in my state actually.

A little off topic, but funny. The morning I went to get the background check and fingerprinting there was an a woman getting fingerprinted for a GFL that was about 70 years old or so. Gotta love Georgia. :P

Quote Originally Posted by quikduk View Post
    Mine took about 3 months after the interview was conducted.....acquire the written and signed reference letters and acquire the other references...generally takes 5-6 months to review and approve/deny the permits.....The SD not only pulls the DOJ and FBI info but does a thorough background investigation including all of the people on the reference list and who wrote personal letters, some of the employers, most of the neighbors and anyone else I have forgotten to mention...
    WOW!! It's easier to adopt a child.
    Sounds like the law operates in reverse in CA. They should have to justify NOT giving you a carry permit. Maybe the 2nd amendment doesn't apply in CA???

I know that around my area it all depends on the county involved. A friend of mine got his in just 8 weeks. Me, I submitted my paperwork and fee on March 8 and I am still waiting. They told me it would be 15 to 17 weeks. Tic-toc-tic-toc any day now.

I forgot how long it took to get mine here in FL. Been a while now. We go through the state, not the sheriff's department. This leads to a little longer wait times than might be the case for someone who goes to the local sheriff to apply in person in another state. The good thing is all the money goes to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

It took me three months in KY. Of course I had a "youthful indiscretion" to explain in writing.

One week later, I was approved.

I guess the average wait is the bureaucratic red tape that needs cutting (tying, braiding, macrame, or whatever it is they do in the Statehouse...).

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Years ago 20 dollars and 20 min's is all it took for mine. Hot laminated ready to go.
    For God, Family and Country!

Here in TX, it goes through the state. Back in 2005 when I first applied, it took about a month to get the license.

I think I heard something at that time that there was only one person doing the permits for the entire state.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links