Defensive Carry banner

Confused

2K views 22 replies 23 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 ·
I am currently in the military. I am originally from KY, but am currently sitting over in Iraq. I would like to get my concealed carry permit for when I get back, but not really sure how to go about getting it. I have read on the internet that some states don't require the course if you are law enforcement/military, but don't know how true that is. If anyone is from KY and has any input on this matter I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

Chris

#2 ·
The best thing to do is just check out the website

http://kentucky.gov/ By the way thanks for your service:congrats:

#4 ·
Chris,
Thanks for your service, and Congrats on getting Zarqawi for us!

My understanding is that your Police/Military firearms training meets the requirement for the "class" we non-LE/MILL schleps take.

#6 ·
Chris I can not comment with authority on your question. However, as a vet, I want to thank you for what you are doing.:medievalsmile:

#7 ·
+1

Thanks for your service, and Godspeed!

#8 ·
I can't help you with you specific problem but, I can say "Thank You" for sweating it out in The Sandbox for all of us here at home.
We all really appreciate your service to our country. :usflag:

#10 ·
Hey Chris, stay cool and don't let the camel spiders get too close!

Just an FYI for Minnesotans serving in the Military, if you take the pistol marksmanship training you can use that to apply for your carry permit.

However, I would actually recommend taking a carry course to become familiar with proper uses of deadly force in the civilian world.

#11 ·
Chris said:
I am currently in the military. I am originally from KY, but am currently sitting over in Iraq. I would like to get my concealed carry permit for when I get back, but not really sure how to go about getting it. I have read on the internet that some states don't require the course if you are law enforcement/military, but don't know how true that is. If anyone is from KY and has any input on this matter I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

Chris
Chris, thanks for your service to our country... :congrats:

Best regards...

#19 ·
Here is some info:

Must be 21 to apply for a CCDW License.

From Kentucky State Police

* Applicant must be a resident of Kentucky for at least six months prior to filing of the application.
* An applicant for a CCDW license may obtain an application from the sheriff's office in their county of residence.
* The completed application along with $60.00 is to be returned to the sheriff's office. (Retired police officers are exempt from the payment for the CCDW license).
* The application will be sent to the Kentucky State Police within five working days.
* The application form, completed under oath, will include:
Name,
Address,
Place and date of birth,
Gender and Social Security number.
* Statement of compliance with required qualifications.
* Statement of receipt and understanding of the statute concerning the use of force and self-defense in Kentucky.
* Recent color photograph: full head shot no smaller than 3x4 nor larger than 4x5 inches.
* A photocopy of a certificate or an affidavit or document certifying completion of a certified firearms training course.

below are 2 links, the 1st is the list of topics dealing with getting a permit. The 2nd is specific to the training requirement.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/CHAPTER.HTM
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/110.PDF

It appears that only retired LEOs are allowed to bypass the training requirement.

-By the way where in Iraq are you? (if you can say) My daughter is in Baggy-Daddy & her husband is up near the Syrian border.

Stay Safe- our prayers are with you & your's...........:wave:

#23 ·
I can't help you either, but state's website should be the best bet for up to date info

Welcome to the forum
and a heartfelt thanks for your service to our great country
please pass along all of our best wished to any and all other service members there with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.