OWB vs. IWB for carry

This is a discussion on OWB vs. IWB for carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always considered OWB to be the most comfortable convenient way to carry, either open or concealed. I have a blackhawk serpa i absolutely love ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB vs. IWB for carry

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

OWB vs. IWB for carry

I always considered OWB to be the most comfortable convenient way to carry, either open or concealed. I have a blackhawk serpa i absolutely love to carry in because it is secure, comfortable, and somewhat concealable and a FOBUS because I needed something to get me through untill i got my SERPA. However, there are situations where I needed a deeper concealment level. Considering I am to the point where I do not feel comfortable, or safe when I am unarmed, and I even have my gun next to me on the computer desk while I type this, leaving my firearm at home or locked in my vehicle was not an option so i tucked it behind my back without a holster I know it is not safe, but at the time I had no better method. The day after I did this the second time, I purchased a inexpensive IWB holster for my XDM. The difference of confidence in my concealed carry with an IWB vs. OWB was drastically upped and I felt more confident that I was not printing, showing, or in anyway displaying my firearm unintentionally, not to mention reducing the chance of an ND into my buttocks. I could carry safely around liberals, friends who are uncomfortable, or just out in sheep territory without fear of an unintentional display. I now carry IWB ONLY, whenever i am CC'ing, I still prefer my SERPA for open carry and my duty SERPA for work, but off-duty, IWB does it for me comfortably and I can go about life in safety. I was wondering, is there a gun shop in Indianapolis that sells IWB magazine pouches and where they are located, as well as what your thoughts are as far as OWB vs IWB is concerned
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I bought a Blackhawk serpa for OWB and Cozy Partner for IWB

VIP Member
    Well, it’s a roundabout way of looking for a magazine in a specific locale, although I agree an IWB is the preferred choice for conceal carry. I personally like a clip style appendix carry that allows me to insert/remove the holstered gun as one unit. It’s much safer and convenient in my view.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Here's a link for a kydex IWB pouch:

IWB Magazine Pouch » Alabama Holster Company - Concealment Products That "Just Plian Work"

And one for their IBW appendix carry (it's tuckable, so that'll aid in concealment), appendix is the only comfortable IWB for me:

Alabama Appendix Holster » Alabama Holster Company - Concealment Products That "Just Plian Work"

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar
    FWIW, my IWB of choice is the SuperTuck Deluxe from Crossbreed Holsters. Makes my XD Service 4" all but disappear at 3:00, and comfortably so...
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

Since I never wear untucked shiirts or additional cover garments, I never carry OWB except in the winter, when I will occasionally wear my M1911 in a Fobus paddle holster or my Glock 19 in a belt slide, under a heavy sweater.

The vast majority of my carry is either of a full sized auto or revolver in a Don Hume 715M IWB or of an S&W Model 36 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

+1 on the Crossbreed. I carry a P95 at 4:00 and it disappears under the tucked polos and buttondowns I wear to work or the untucked T-shirts and polos I wear outside of work. Very comfortable too. I will more than likely carry OWB in colder months when additional clothing would hamper access to an IWB gun.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I am to the point where I do not feel comfortable, or safe when I am unarmed...
    I understand the feeling (boy howdy do I understand), but I highly recommend you work on this for the sake of your own sanity. Being unarmed does not remove your ability to maintain situational awareness or your ability to defuse a situation that can't be avoided or abandoned. True, being armed is better than not, but don't let your confidence level be determined by either one; it's a valuable supplement to all the other skills that help you avoid violent confrontation.

As for IWB, I'm definitely a fan of Crossbreed's Supertuck.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I thought I would always CC in an IWB holster until I tried the Fist #12 Basic. It is an OWB holster that holds my firearm as close to the body as my IWB's. I use the same cover shirt and the OWB is a bit more comfortable.

FIST, INC. The picture of the Glock is about how my holster rides...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

owb vs iwb

this is my first reply.. be kind
    I use a Fist #2 with the iwb adapters, can be used either iwb or owb, very comfortable. I carry at 3:30 very little print with either pistol, sigma 40 or kimber 45

I love my countrybut I fear my government

I've done both quite a bit. In fact, my initial preference was for OWB. Then i got my Minotaur IWB for the S&W M&P .45.

What a difference! This is like anything else though, as it is all about what you feel comfortable with. IWB in my opinion prints much, much less while carry a weighty weapon - and therefore is more easily concealed.

Go with what feels good to YOU! Stay vigilant!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Fist looks nice.

Steve J welcome to the forum.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

My experience has been just the opposite,I first started out carrying IWB as I was very paranoid of someone spotting me CCing.
    It didn't take me long to figure out the fast majority of the populace are oblivious to anyone carrying. Only those who carry usually can tell others that do,Due to our acute sense of awareness.
    I found there were more pluses to OWB then IWB for me personally,more comfortable,I didn't have to buy new wardrobe of pants and extra waist size bigger,much faster draw,I have been wearing concealed down in Fl.now for 3 yrs,now if any place is hard to conceal it's down here in the heat and no one has said a word to me,I always wear OWB with a light shirt over my rig,no problems,and much more comfortable then if I were IWB carrying not to mention cooler and faster. To each there own!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I only carry OWB if I'm carrying on my hip. If I need any type of deep concealment, I will pocket carry my 85 or my M&P9c.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I go both ways

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I could carry safely around liberals,........

Oh Chris, that's FUNNY right there!

I like carrying either way. My OWB custom K&D holster is very comfortable. My Comp-Tac paddle is just as comfortable and very convenient.

For deeper concelment needs, or when the weather really heats up, my IWB CTAC or MTAC do the job wonderfully. Invisiable and comfortable, simple as that and nobody's the wiser, liberal or otherwise.

It takes a while, but when you find the right holster to fill a specific need/purpose AND it works, IWB and/or OWB, your comfort and confidence go up.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links