Louisiana-Bill allowing guns in church is approved by House

This is a discussion on Louisiana-Bill allowing guns in church is approved by House within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopefully this will make it through the senate next week. I am glad to this bill as it allows us better protection in our churches. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana-Bill allowing guns in church is approved by House

Louisiana-Bill allowing guns in church is approved by House

Hopefully this will make it through the senate next week. I am glad to this bill as it allows us better protection in our churches. Presently concealed carry is not allowed in churches in Louisiana.

Bill allowing guns in church is approved by House | NOLA.com

2. Remove Ads

Schools need to be next. EVERYWHERE! And all "No Carry" signs rendered useless.

I beg to differ with Rep. Norton. Her remarks show her to be Biblicly illiterate.

Matthew 10:22 "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."
    How do you stand firm against armed attackers if you are totally unarmed?

Matthew 10: 16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."
    As shrewd as snakes, snakes have fangs.

Nehemiah 4:9 "But we prayed to our God and posted a guard day and night to meet this threat."
    D

Btw, there are guns in my home church whether there's supposed to be or not.

I don't know who's got them...but I know they're somewhere.

Which I'm perfectly fine with btw. With all the blatant hostility towards Christianity that is festering in this country, it's probably a smart thing to be armed when attending religious services.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yikes, this is a horrible bill. It requires armed security to have 8-hours of "tactical" training, requires notification in the bulletin that there is armed security....

...What if the bill just simply removes restrictions on church carry? That would be a worthy bill.

Here's the article:
    Bill allowing guns in church is approved by House
    By Ed Anderson, The Times-Picayune
    May 12, 2010, 9:26PM
    Guns should be allowed in houses of worship as a way to protect congregants from attacks, if the pastor or head of the religious body approves, lawmakers said Wednesday.

The House voted 74-18 for House Bill 68 by Rep. Henry Burns, R-Haughton, sending it to the Senate for debate.

The bill was heard last week and received a 45-39 vote, eight votes short of the 53 needed to pass in the lower chamber.

Burns said the bill is "a matter of choice" and leaves it up to each synagogue, mosque or church to decide whether to implement it.

"Every church in Louisiana will (still) be gun-free" as state law now dictates, unless a house of worship decides to allow certain members qualified to carry concealed weapons to bring them to church as part of its security plan, Burns said.

'I want to see in the Bible where it says you can't bring a gun to church,' Rep. Ernest Wooten, R-Belle Chasse, said.The bill was amended last week to mandate that members tapped for security duty have eight hours of tactical training. It also was amended to ban houses of worship on school campuses from allowing armed parishioners.

The bill would require church leaders to tell worshippers verbally or in bulletins or newsletters that it will have armed security in the congregation.

"If God is looking down on us today I don't think he is happy with us discussing how we can carry our guns to church," Rep. Barbara Norton, D-Shreveport, a major opponent of the bill, said. "The church is a place of peace. I don't think God said it was OK to carry a gun in the house of the Lord.

"Nowhere does it say (in Scripture) the Lord said you have to have a gun in church. If you need to have a gun in church, you need to go to another church."

"This bill is very permissive," said Rep. Ernest Wooton, R-Belle Chasse, a backer of the bill. "I want to see in the Bible where it says you can't bring a gun to church."
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

A church is not going to have an armed security group within the church, way too much liability. If they would just allow cc in churches, the regular members could take care of any problems and leave the church out of it as they could claim that they had no knowledge of the weapons. They were only going by the laws in force at the time.

If they were going to have an armed security detail, they would probably hire them and let the security company worry about any liability issues.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Yikes, this is a horrible bill. It requires armed security to have 8-hours of "tactical" training, requires notification in the bulletin that there is armed security....

...What if the bill just simply removes restrictions on church carry? That would be a worthy bill.

Here's the article:
    I'm not particularly happy with it either, many are questioning should any state be regulating this for churches? It looks like what we have is better than nothing though.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    I beg to differ with Rep. Norton. Her remarks show her to be Biblicly illiterate.
    I've been watching/listening to Norton on much of this, I get the feeling she's unknowledgeable and uninformed on the subject matter and not open to understanding anything at all. She has a pre-conceived agenda and is desperate to stick to it.

PPKheat - no fan of Norton
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    A church is not going to have an armed security group within the church, way too much liability. If they would just allow cc in churches, the regular members could take care of any problems and leave the church out of it as they could claim that they had no knowledge of the weapons. They were only going by the laws in force at the time.

If they were going to have an armed security detail, they would probably hire them and let the security company worry about any liability issues.
    How about the member of the church security team that stopped that nutjib in Colorado a few years ago?

But I agree with your sentiment...everyone should be allowed to carry.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by FroMan View Post
    Btw, there are guns in my home church whether there's supposed to be or not.

I don't know who's got them...but I know they're somewhere.

Which I'm perfectly fine with btw. With all the blatant hostility towards Christianity that is festering in this country, it's probably a smart thing to be armed when attending religious services.

same here....... but i do know of 3 and i think there is 4 more..
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'm not particularly happy with it either, many are questioning should any state be regulating this for churches? It looks like what we have is better than nothing though.
    Same here. I pushed my rep to vote for it, even with that horrendous "8 hour tactical training" amendment. Maybe we can fix it in the senate.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
    Hopefully this will make it through the senate next week. I am glad to this bill as it allows us better protection in our churches. Presently concealed carry is not allowed in churches in Louisiana.

Bill allowing guns in church is approved by House | NOLA.com
    When I read the title of this thread I thought “That was good news!”, but after reading the article I changed my mind.

I might be missing something and in that case I apologize for it, but saying "…unless a house of worship decides to allow certain members qualified to carry concealed weapons to bring them to church as part of its security plan...", and "…mandate that members tapped for security duty have eight hours of tactical training." is a little too unrealistic. I am sorry, but I do not think this is a good bill
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    When I read the title of this thread I thought “That was good news!”, but after reading the article I changed my mind.

I might be missing something and in that case I apologize for it, but saying "…unless a house of worship decides to allow certain members qualified to carry concealed weapons to bring them to church as part of its security plan...", and "…mandate that members tapped for security duty have eight hours of tactical training." is a little too unrealistic. I am sorry, but I do not think this is a good bill
    I look at it kind of like a no-carry state going to may-issue. Yeah, it's not ideal, and jumping through all the hoops sucks, but it beats a blanket ban, which is what we currently have in the case of church carry. It's a baby step in the right direction, and hopefully the first of many.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Church carry

Here in Ohio we have had CC in church since 2004 (the beginning) allowed IF the Pastor/Mimister gives the OK in writing (posted sign or signed note). However, in all that time, searching Statewide, talking personally to Church leaders, I have been unable to find a single one that will (officially) allow CC in their church. Many have said, "It's fine, Go ahead. No problem. Many of our parishoners do. Etc." However, when presed to put it into writing, all refuse. They are afraid of liability. In reality, under Ohio law, they are absolved of liability if they allow BUT they HAVE LIABILITY if they deny! They have it backwards but will not listen. How does one overcome this hurdle?

Any of the anti-gunners considering the risks of such a thing need only consider this: criminals are unaffected by anything legislators do, as they'll keep carrying weapons anywhere they choose. The only effect of decriminalizing the carry of firearms by upstanding citizens in church will be to help even the odds a bit.

Imagine, all this time it has been upstanding citizens who have been criminalized by legislators for daring believe their own lives are worth defending. Now, by removing the yoke from their necks, upstanding citizens will no longer have to feel threatened by state legislators or law enforcement people when taking steps to defend themselves and their loved ones. Imagine a world in which legislators stop waggling their finger in disapproval at upstanding citizens. Imagine that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links