What would you have done?

This is a discussion on What would you have done? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; kseo7s, Don't want to be the bad guy here, but it's like Betty said..... only more: Any 'hands on' contact with another person's child could ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you have done?

kseo7s,

Don't want to be the bad guy here, but it's like Betty said..... only more:

Any 'hands on' contact with another person's child could land you in pretty hot water. While you were entirely correct in trying to keep your weapon concealed, if the parent saw you touch their child and they were the type to take offense real easily, the law could have been involved real quick. Depending on what kind of crap the parent told the law, you're carrying a weapon while that parent is claiming that you 'assaulted' their child, could actually heighten the charges filed against you.

It's a tricky situation at best, multiplied because of the weird people out there who like confrontation, who know how to work the system, and might look upon your touching their child as a 'meal ticket', ie: civil law suit, etc. Remember that people can claim all they want, it is up to you to prove your own innocence and intent.

Best thing might have been to immediately turn and walk away. Kinda like the same thing we as concealed handgun carriers are supposed to do in a real situation, try every other means available to us first.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I think that if the parental unit in question claimed you assaulted (legal term battered) their child, the proper response legally would be that the child was reaching for your loaded gun, and had not responded to verbal commands to stop. Cops, DA's and judges all have better things to do with their time.

Matt..... TASER????? Heck, here in Las Vegas last week, Metro used 3 Tasers on a guy all at once!!! Letsee.... 50,000 volts X 3= 150,000 volts... Hmmmm, no wonder the guy died!!

Back to the subject. Yep, you gotta be soft handed working in and around kids. Dunno how the teachers these days do it, as no Corporal Punishment, like when I was getting wailed on with a 1x6 board, or by a Peach Switch by my Granny!!! No, nowadays, it is "TIMEOUTS".. What a farce..

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Count your blessings

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    I think you showed restraint. I might have walked the kid over to his parent(s) after the first time and mentioned the inappropriate behavior.

I know what I'd have done if one of my kids had ever done something like that.
    Count your blessings. In England, if you grabbed the kid and marched him over to his parent, you could have been sued for using disproportionate force against a minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief
    Your actions were appropriate under the circumstances. Many parents are under the impression that it is their duty to let their little monsters do and act as the child pleases. Its a sad comment on parenting when the child is in charge of the parent.
    Annecdote #1.

In 1956 I was walking with my Grandfather in Berlin and he got momentarily lost. He asked two 15-year old kids--street toughs by the looks of their dress--where to go. They made a smart-ass remark. My grandfather grabbed one of them by the shirt collar and smacked his face twice. The kid winced, dropped his head, apologized profusely, and meekly gave the correct directions.

Annecdote #2.

In 1978 in Cambrdige (MA), on a Bring-the-kiddies-in day, my boss brought in his little monster and introduced me to him. When the little buggar started to rampage through my files, I said: "Hey, caught that out."

"Oh, no Tom, we never say no to him," this paragon of mangement told me, only partly apologetically, and dragged the brat out.

An hour or so later, I was walking by my bosses' office and spotted the little ghoul sitting pretty in his dad's office chair.

"NO!" I shouted at him and fled the scene to instant crying and wailing.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I think I'd have said in a loud voice, " Hey, stop trying to grab my cell phone." I also would have removed his hand.

VIP Member

did the kid know english?

are you sure the kid understood what you said?
    On two separate occasions I had hispanic kids come up to me and my wife/son in wally world and literally: A) grab my son's leg while he was in the shopping cart; and B) grab/touch something in our shopping cart. Both times I said something to them (was more harsh when he grabbed my sons leg ) and both times they babbled something in spanish and I told them again to go away. One of the times the mom came around the corner, said something in spanish to them and they left. Kid or no kid, if he wouldn't have let go of my son when I stepped toward him/said something I would have physically removed his had from my child.
    WAY too many kids out of control in stores and resturaunts
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator

Thumbs up

Probably that kids first taste of parental control.
    Hey the problem is w/ the parents who should not be...parents.
    You did just fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I agree with the other posts and think it sucks we have to sit around second guessing ourselves about doing the right thing.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by NevJohn
    Matt..... TASER????? Heck, here in Las Vegas last week, Metro used 3 Tasers on a guy all at once!!! Letsee.... 50,000 volts X 3= 150,000 volts... Hmmmm, no wonder the guy died!!

Back to the subject. Yep, you gotta be soft handed working in and around kids. Dunno how the teachers these days do it, as no Corporal Punishment, like when I was getting wailed on with a 1x6 board, or by a Peach Switch by my Granny!!! No, nowadays, it is "TIMEOUTS".. What a farce..

John
    It truly is a farce. I'm actually still fairly young, but still remember as corporal punishment was being pushed out.

As to the taser incident, 150,000 volts is not bad (at that low amperage). There had to be other factors involved in that person dying from being tasered. I've been hit and know others who have been hit by 300,000 volt stun guns (the principle is the same) and we're all still alive and kicking. When someone dies from a taser or stun gun, there's usually other factors like underlying medical conditions. I'd be interested to see what they say about that guy. But that's way outside the scope of this one. I've already rabbit-trailed too far.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I have kids, sometimes I don’t want them ether LOL but I think you handled the situation correctly. I think the dad has a screw loose to let his kid a 10 year old no less! Behave that way.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by chris s
    I agree with the other posts and think it sucks we have to sit around second guessing ourselves about doing the right thing.
    Absolutely true. Monster children can run all over us and we have to worry about doing what's right, because the parents of these creatures do not do what's right. Makes me mad.

I have six kids, the oldest 33, the youngest being 7. Believe me when I say that almost NO child by the age of 7 (or much younger, probably) would walk up to a stranger and start looking under their clothes even once, much less twice, unless he/she either, 1). Has a developmental problem of some sort, or 2). Is up to something. Either way, if your weapon had been exposed, you shouldn't need to worry unless you were carrying in a place that has a no guns policy. Besides, someone would have had to see the gun before even the question of brandishing was raised, then reported it to someone at the store. Also, if anyone did see something to report, they'd have seen the kid cause the incident by pulling at your shirt.

There is also the idea of reasonable presumption to consider. You took reasonable precautions and care to conceal your weapon and couldn't reasonably be expected to think a child (or anyone else) would attempt to uncover your gun not just once, but twice! Even then, unless there is a no guns policy in effect where you were at (like it or not, they can say no if you're on private property) and after they discovered you were armed, asked you to leave or remove the gun and you refused, you'd be okay.

Don't be too quick in thinking kids these days don't have discipline, most still do. Something like you described is still the rare exception rather than the rule. Also, with the paranoia over children being abducted or molested these days, most kids are too scared of strangers (or too afraid of their parents) to come up to strangers even when there IS something wrong.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I think you handled yourself very well. I wish I could say that I would have handled myself so reserved. I tend to call it the way I see it. I have never been in an afray or altercation over it either.

Drives my wife nuts.

way weird...I know I get nervous if anyone else is around my kid...I definately don't let him wander up and touch strangers. Sounds to me like you handled it well though. I don't think I have the restraint to not have said something to the father though
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links