What would you have done?

This is a discussion on What would you have done? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Best Buy with my wife to buy a movie yesterday. While browsing a child saw my cell phone hanging from under my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you have done?

I was in Best Buy with my wife to buy a movie yesterday. While browsing a child saw my cell phone hanging from under my shirt and proceeded to walk up and try to lift my shirt to see it better. In plain view of his Father I told the child no and removed his hand from my person. Less than a minute later he tried it again. This time I yelled STOP, DON'T DO IT AGAIN! and gently pushed him away. I looked at the father and we stared at each other for a few seconds and only then did he discipline his child. I did not speak to the father, because I was raised not to say anything to someone unless it was something nice, and of course I had a few choice words ready had he said anything (beside the point). Anyway, this kid could have exposed my carry piece to the entire store and we do have brandishing laws in Florida. I know how I would have handled an adult trying to do this, (elbow to the head) but it just never occured to me that people are not teaching kids not to touch people. So, did I handle this ok, what would you have done differently? I don't have or want kids, so I am a little cynical when it comes to dealing with them, but this really bothered me and made me re-think my procedures when carrying.

Lead Moderator
    seems odd, someone would allow their child to approach and touch a stranger. especially twice. Sounds as if you handled it well. I think asking the parent to control their kid would not be out of line either. How old was the kid?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a 4 yr old. he is still pretty young but would have been retrieved prior to the whole incident if possible by me.
    if i could not or did not in time i believe you handled it appropriately.
    also i would not have taken offense to a nicely stated comment to the effect either as i would have been sternly scolding him for his actions anyway.
    it does make ya think though but i would not alter my method of carrying over it.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I probably would have said something to the dad out of earshot of the kid, without choice words.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Not sure

I would guess that maybe he was in the 7-10 age. I thought it was odd too, but I see a lot of parent lately that do nothing when kids act out of line in public.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    after the first time i would have smacked the little monster's hand , and dad's too if he had any comment
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Believe me

I wanted to put a belt on that little... like my dad would have given me, but did not want to get arrested yeterday for beating someone elses child and his daddy.

Even in Florida, Brandishing requires "Intent". The child's actions, although clearly inappropriate, would not have resulted in a brandishing charge. If you, however, raised your shirt, displaying the weapon, looked at the dad, and said, "Want me to part that kid's beak?"....THAT would have been brandishing! (humor......Hello....)
    God Bless the USA

Lead Moderator
    I think you showed restraint. I might have walked the kid over to his parent(s) after the first time and mentioned the inappropriate behavior.

I know what I'd have done if one of my kids had ever done something like that.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

7 to 10 years old???
    I might understand a 3 - 5 year old being like that, but I wonder if at 7 - 10 years of age, this could possibly be one of those pick pocket teams I have heard of.
    Might be the father, might be the "employer."
    Know what I mean?
    It just seams out of place for a child that age being so with strangers unless we are talking about a child with a mental handycap.

I might have yelled "Get away from me!"
    If it was a pick pocket team, they'd have left for sure.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

VIP Member
    I think it was handled fine, but I probably would've walked away instead of pushed the kid, even though you pushed him gently and he deserved it. It seems like the laws are designed in such a way that even the gentlest of pushes turns into assaulting a minor, and handling anyone else's kid can be very tricky. The dad and the kid could've cooked up any story they wanted about the mean man who shoved an innocent kid who bumped into him.

The pathetic part is the parent neglected to stop the kid and then seemed to try to stare you down as if to say, "don't tell my kid what to do." I think your return gaze made him have second thoughts on that.

I really despise parents who let their rugrats run amok and then get upset at you for correcting them.

There's been plenty of kids (and parents) I've encountered I wanted to spank the snot out of.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Taser.

Just kidding.

Matt

Thanks

I really did need a little reassurance because I do not know how to handle childeren that well. I did think about the pick pocket thing after the fact and that is a very valid theory.

VIP Member
    I don't want to insult anyone's upbringing, but after I became an adult I realized that my mother and teachers had been wrong when they taught me not to say anything unless it was nice. There are many times the nicest thing you can say to someone is a correction, but because we were taught to only say nice things we fail to recognize this. When teaching us to only say nice things they defined nice things as nice words which gave us the impression that words of chastening or correction are not nice things. As an adult I learned that the truth sometimes hurts and doesn't sound nice, never the less it is the truth. I also learned that if I listened to this truth spoken to me and applied it to myself then though it may have hurt at the time it was a very nice thing someone had said to me. Do not shy away from speaking to someone just because the words may not be nice. Say them in a manner that is not demeaning and leave the results up to the person spoken to. Some people will take offense at a compliment. That is their problem not yours.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Your actions were appropriate under the circumstances. Many parents are under the impression that it is their duty to let their little monsters do and act as the child pleases. Its a sad comment on parenting when the child is in charge of the parent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links