uncomfortable when not armed

This is a discussion on uncomfortable when not armed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Mesa, AZ and I got my ccw permit about 3 weeks ago. I have been carrying all day on my days off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uncomfortable when not armed

uncomfortable when not armed

I live in Mesa, AZ and I got my ccw permit about 3 weeks ago. I have been carrying all day on my days off of work, too and from work and everywhere I am allowed, I am so used to having it strapped on it gets to be very uncomfortable when I can't wear it at work. I work for a pool supply chain, so for the most part I am in a warehouse with occasional weekends spent in retail stores. I went to Diamondbacks game last night and let it locked up in my truck and walking back to the parking lot at 10 at night in downtown Phoenix was extremely uncomfortable. I know now that I will have that uncomfortable feeling if I am unable to carry, but I was wondering if anyone else has these feelings as well? Thanks in advance

Spencer

2. Remove Ads

well i do nto live AZ but i have had similar feeling when i felt uncomfortable becuase i had to lock up my firearm becuase i was at a place that does not allow carry. now i just dont go to places where i cant carry because that is a "please come rob me zone".

I think most of us that cc feel the same way when we are deprived of our weapons. It becomes a way of life, and it's like leaving home without your wallet, just feels bad! Plus the way things work, there is a chance that when you need it you will not have it with you do to trying to be legal and do what's right.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I carry 24/7 and feel naked without my gun. Like leaving the house without the cell...

Absolutely! I feel naked when not armed. I truly hate the feeling. I've been carrying legally since Jan.1, 1996, all day, every day, wherever it is legal to do so. I HATE being unarmed.

VIP Member
    I feel naked without one also, which isn't very often.

VIP Member
    I hate not carrying. I clipped on a G30 just to take the garbage to the curb last night. It's a habit that I never want to break.

Yeah, most folks I talk to get that. What I did was find things I could take into the areas I am not allowed to carry a firearm in. Knife, pepper spray, flashlight, etc. At least you have something you can use. Gun-less should not mean defenseless!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

See my post about being Naked.

I have dealt with being unarmed at work. I can't carry in the building, but I'd just lock it in my desk if I could. It waits in the car outside and it's there when I leave.

When I travel though, I have no safe place to put it, so I don't bring it. Someday that may change, and I look forward to it.

Until then, carry when you can, be smart when you can't.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I have the same uncomfortable feeling all the time. I work at a jail and obviously cannot carry inside, so I must disarm and lock the firearm in my vehicle everyday at work.

Also, the days I need to run to Base I cant carry, so I must leave my gun at home. However, I try and let my wife do all the business that needs to be done there so I dont have to deal with it. I still end up going to base 2 - 3 times a month unarmed.

I feel extremely comfortable while on base unarmed but when my wife occasionally throws me for a loop and has somewhere else to go downtown after we're done, I get real antsy and my mood definetly changes. At this point, it's not practical to drive all the way back home to re-arm and drive back into town, nor get into an argument. We live 35 minutes outside of the city limits so its a PITA to go back. However, my wife knows my feelings about being unarmed while anywhere, so she tries not to drop any sudden after base trips on me by suprise.

Most of us feel uncomfortable when not carrying.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I went to Diamondbacks game last night and let it locked up in my truck and walking back to the parking lot at 10 at night in downtown Phoenix was extremely uncomfortable. I know now that I will have that uncomfortable feeling if I am unable to carry, but I was wondering if anyone else has these feelings as well? Thanks in advance

Spencer
    Sure do - you are far from alone.

Last year I took in a D-backs game and, like you, disarmed before going in. However, at the gate they only looked at my lady's bag (for contraband?) and I wasn't poked, prodded or wanded. I suppose one could carry discreetly and risk the consequences if found out - balance that against the risks involved in walking back to your car after the game.
    Last edited by gasmitty; May 13th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yes as all the others have said, once you are in that zone it is very uncomfortable to be without it. I only disarm when I have no choice, but I can still get to it if need be. Again follow the law and your particular work place policies and you can only do your best..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Sure do ! Being a state LEO allows me a lot of latitude but I am real uncomfortable everytime I have to take a commercial flight that is not work related and my Glock is in the cargo hold.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I do not like the times I am unarmed (I work in a school)...I wish I could at least have it in the car at school for travel to and from, but that's a big no-no.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links