Whats the wait time for a MA and RI Non-Resident Permit?

This is a discussion on Whats the wait time for a MA and RI Non-Resident Permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience in the time it took to apply for a Non Resident MA or RI permit. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience in the time it took to apply for a Non Resident MA or RI permit. Thanks for any word and advice anyone could give!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience in the time it took to apply for a Non Resident MA or RI permit. Thanks for any word and advice anyone could give!
    I don't have experience with these two but from what I can gather: MA could take months, I thought I've heard up to 6.
    RI-don't know, AFAIK they're restrictive and you'll have to have a special "need" to get the permit. Probably would take a while if you do manage to get it!
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Best check on your own. IF I recall correctly, MA non-res permits are only good for one year and RI permits require a notarized and backed up statement of need if applying for self defense. But again, best to check their sites for the latest information. AFAIK, MA and RI require that you have THEIR permit as they do not recognize those of other states. Try handgunlaw.us and look up both the state site and the list of non-res permit states in the sidebar.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good luck
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

How long will it take for hell to freeze over???

I think you will be more likely to get a non-res permit from RI than MA, but no idea how long it will take to get an answer. Good lucj in both pursuits, and please post your results when you learn something.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

MaineGlock I'm originally from RI I was born in providence and raised there but also lived in MA for while before moving to Florida. I can tell you in my experience that the MA resident CCW was hard to get at that time. While I've never held an RI CCW they are no to bad to get once you fill out the paper work correctly and show need.

For the record I don't agree with having to show "a need' to exercise a right,but that another topic for another thread. The thing is when applying in RI be completely honest when answering the questions on the application,no matter how small something may seem to you. This is were a lot of people who get denied an RI CCW go wrong they fail to disclose something or they lie outright on the forms,then the process get blackballed as being tough.

The issuance of a CCW in RI for non residents is up to the state A.G. now in the past it been really tough to relatively easy depending on the A.G. in office at the time. The current on and his BCI chief are supposed to be reasonable with permit issuance.

The link below is a forum specific to RI carry permits and gun laws in general,and a lot of people there have had success getting their carry permits. Also there is a man named Jim on there he is very knowledgeable and friendly,register there and drop him a PM he know a lot about the permit application process in RI,I'm sure he can help you. I hope this helps you out and keep us posted on the outcome.
    CRALRI.COM • View forum - Carry Permits
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

ma Non-Res Class A or B permits take up to 6 months to get, then you'll start the re-newal process in about 3 months after you recieve your first LTC ....100.00 per year........
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    From other reports on Northeastshooters.com, the MA process changed sometime last year. They require a FTF interview in Chelsea MA. MANY are being issued as a restricted (NO Carry allowed) LTC, which IMNSHO makes them a waste of money and useless for most folks. After the interview I am reading that it is taking ~1 month to get the permit.

RI (unless something changed in past couple of months) is still routinely denying for "insufficient need". They require that you do a FTF to pick it up if they decide to issue you one.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    From other reports on Northeastshooters.com, the MA process changed sometime last year. They require a FTF interview in Chelsea MA. MANY are being issued as a restricted (NO Carry allowed) LTC, which IMNSHO makes them a waste of money and useless for most folks. After the interview I am reading that it is taking ~1 month to get the permit.

RI (unless something changed in past couple of months) is still routinely denying for "insufficient need". They require that you do a FTF to pick it up if they decide to issue you one.
    len knows what he's talking about
    Thanks Len for sharing that info, hope to see you soon
    BTW I'm keeping my eyes open for any goodies you might be looking for

Thanks for the good words Bob.

I hope to get up your way this Fall. I'll give you a shout if I'll be there.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I don't have experience with these two but from what I can gather: MA could take months, I thought I've heard up to 6.
    RI-don't know, AFAIK they're restrictive and you'll have to have a special "need" to get the permit. Probably would take a while if you do manage to get it!
    I have talked to the folks doing my training, and some of the resident permit holders. My "need" is based on the fact that my wife is from RI and we will be visiting more frequently when baby comes. She is a Psychiatrist that has turned away many drug seekers and treats violent patients. This would be a proactive measure in the event someone decides to stalk/harm her since her patients hail from all over New England. She cant tell me more than that due to HIPPA. So the folks doing the training and other permit holders have said that my request is very reasonable. I hope that MA accepts this as my "need".

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    ma Non-Res Class A or B permits take up to 6 months to get, then you'll start the re-newal process in about 3 months after you recieve your first LTC ....100.00 per year........
    So, your first year that you could have a permit breaks down to this. You are approved but cant carry for six months because you don't have the permit in hand. Then the second six months you can, in that time, you have to apply for your new permit three months later. So the $100 covers the first 6 months you can carry, then you pay $100 again. Yea, that would be why they are called "Mass-holes".

I have a friend that has to start to process about 90 day before his permit runs out.
    The process is lengthly to say the least. You must do a initial FTF interview (first issue of LTC) with the Ma State Police in Chelsea Ma,,,(they don't make it easy for you) It may be true however, that if you have documented proof that you'r LTC is in process, you may be able to carry after your current LTC has expired, but I'm not willing to bet my money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    It may be true however, that if you have documented proof that you'r LTC is in process, you may be able to carry after your current LTC has expired, but I'm not willing to bet my money on it.
    No you can't. The section of law that allows for a grace period is only in the section under Resident permits. They either forgot or intended to treat NRs differently. We don't know why, but we do know that legally you can't carry or possess unless your LTC is active in MA as a NR.

BTW: Same situation in NH . . . one of my renewals took more than 1 month and I called NH SP and was told "no current permit means no CCW!!"

I submitted application in mid November, got my interview on Feb. 2 and finally got my permit on April 29. Did not get the permit I was looking for, but got a Sporting restrictions permit. There is absolutely nothing in my background that warranted any extra wait time or restrictions, so I don't know what the deal was.

I read on Northeast Shooters forum where plenty of people got their permits before I did, even though they didn't put in the application until after the first of the year.

Good luck with your application!
    3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links