GW Parkway gun trap - Page 2

GW Parkway gun trap

This is a discussion on GW Parkway gun trap within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by varob Actually its a beautiful drive, you just have to stay south of Alexandria. The following is from a friend of mine: ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GW Parkway gun trap

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Actually its a beautiful drive, you just have to stay south of Alexandria.
    The following is from a friend of mine:

Heading northbound out of Alexandria, if you intend on not leaving the George Washington Parkway, you will need to stop, unload & case your firearms before entering DC. The National Park Service has many small parks & pull offs where you may do this. The most convenient location for stopping, unloading & casing your firearms is north of Washington / Reagan National Airport at Gravelly Point.

This is the last convenient place to pull over and unload your firearms for transiting DC north bound. It's just after Washington Reagan airport exit.

If you want to divert around the Columbia Island section of the GWP, proceed north on the GWP to the intersection with I-395. Take the I395 SOUTH exit, and get off on the exit for 110 / US 1 (north). Follow this to the intersection US 50, then take the exit to Wilson Blvd. Turn right on North Kent street, then right again on North Lynn street. Follow this to the exit for the GWP North and you will be safely in VA the whole time.

Southbound, from I495 on the GWP, much less of the Parkway transits DC. Travel south and take the exit to Arlington National Cemetary / Tomb of the Unknowns. That is also how it is referred to in the Garmin map software. Here, you can do one of 2 things. Either turn LEFT and go all the way to the right where the cabs pull off, unload & case your firearm. OR, you can detour by getting on the route 110 south exit. Follow 110 south until the I395 interchange. Take the I395 North JUST until you get on the GWP. If you have transited through DC and need to stop and reload your firearm, right across from Gravelly Point on the North bound side, is Roaches Run on the south bound side. This is a convenient place to pull off and safely reload your firearm. If it's backed up, you can divert to route 233 further south. That will take you to Reagan airport, with access back to the GWP SOUTH.
    Good luck!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Southbound, from I495 on the GWP, much less of the Parkway transits DC. Travel south and take the exit to Arlington National Cemetary / Tomb of the Unknowns. That is also how it is referred to in the Garmin map software. Here, you can do one of 2 things. Either turn LEFT and go all the way to the right where the cabs pull off, unload & case your firearm. OR, you can detour by getting on the route 110 south exit. Follow 110 south until the I395 interchange. Take the I395 North JUST until you get on the GWP. If you have transited through DC and need to stop and reload your firearm, right across from Gravelly Point on the North bound side, is Roaches Run on the south bound side. This is a convenient place to pull off and safely reload your firearm. If it's backed up, you can divert to route 233 further south. That will take you to Reagan airport, with access back to the GWP SOUTH.[\quote]

Good luck!
    Be very careful not to turn right at the top of this exit. if you do and go about 500 feet, unbeknown to 99.9% of drivers you have again crossed back into DC ! The small inlet that separates Columbia Island/DC from VA is almost unnoticeable as you drive onto the circle at the entrance to The Memorial Bridge. You think you're in VA but you are in DC !!! be careful

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Be very careful not to turn right at the top of this exit. if you do and go about 500 feet, unbeknown to 99.9% of drivers you have again crossed back into DC ! The small inlet that separates Columbia Island/DC from VA is almost unnoticeable as you drive onto the circle at the entrance to The Memorial Bridge. You think you're in VA but you are in DC !!! be careful
    Good point!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Sounds like ‘Mother May I’ or ‘Symon Says’. I guess I'll just stay in Arizona...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Sounds like ‘Mother May I’ or ‘Symon Says’. I guess I'll just stay in Arizona...
    Boy you said a mouthful there Saber. driving around here is like a game of musical chairs. When the music stops, who gets arrested?

New England and NY and MD and NJ are pathetic. i know because i live here. Gun laws only start to make sense in the east after you go south of MD or stay in PA or DE

You're right. stay in AZ.

Wow. Just learned a few new things from this thread, and realized I dodged a bullet last weekend.

Drove thru the middle of DC on my way to Philly on Thursday night with a loaded & chambered CW9 in the glovebox. <facepalm>
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    It amazes me that the same people whio scream for Federal intervention for National Reciprocity are the same people that scream bloody murder about Federal intervention in Gun Control. They want the feds to intervene to give them what they want and not to intervene in things they don't want. Federal intervention is Federal intervention, once it is authorized you can't stop it!

Which state rules for licensing do you really believe will prevail, Vermont or Illinois? Take a look at Chicago and you will see the newer, friendlier National Reciprocity laws. No gun carrying at all!
    I agree; just keep it state level. Do not forget that what the government gives the government can take.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Guvn3r View Post
    Wow. Just learned a few new things from this thread, and realized I dodged a bullet last weekend.

Drove thru the middle of DC on my way to Philly on Thursday night with a loaded & chambered CW9 in the glovebox. <facepalm>
    Glad you made it. good idea to check gun laws prior to travel DC and MD big NO NO

Handgunlaw.us
    or Concealed Carry Info, Maps, Firearm Forums & Community for Permit Holders and state AG sites.

You're very lucky
    Last edited by swinokur; May 14th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Actually its a beautiful drive, you just have to stay south of Alexandria.
    *sigh* havent been there in a long time, i guess i should see it again

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvn3r View Post

FWIIW -- you also had MD to worry about, unless you something that I don't.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Anyone have issues flying out of Reagan National with a handgun in their checked baggage? I sometimes go there from Fairfax, VA for a flight. I've had no issues to/from or at Dulles.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Anyone have issues flying out of Reagan National with a handgun in their checked baggage? I sometimes go there from Fairfax, VA for a flight. I've had no issues to/from or at Dulles.
    I have had no issues. Just make sure if you come down the GW PW to have your weapon secured as per FOPA !!!

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I have had no issues. Just make sure if you come down the GW PW to have your weapon secured as per FOPA !!!

Many thanks!

Glad we have the Second Admendment to protect us.

Could you imagine having this conversation about the First Admendment? Hey, when you cross this bridge, watch what you say. However, once you get on the south side of Commie Island your free to express your views.

VIP Member

Map & instructions...

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links