GW Parkway gun trap

This is a discussion on GW Parkway gun trap within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As folk seemed to have missed the earlier discussions as part of larger threads and asked for a separate thread, I've copied a couple post ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GW Parkway gun trap

VIP Member

GW Parkway gun trap

As folk seemed to have missed the earlier discussions as part of larger threads and asked for a separate thread, I've copied a couple post here. There are quite a few more, but these capture the essence of the issue.

Post from: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ate-plane.html

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Here is a map I made showing he exact borders of Columbia Island north of National Airport. The GW Parkway is NPS property and as such the law of the jurisdiction the property is in applies. Columbia Island IS IN DC !!!. The distance that the PW covers is about 1 mile in length. If you are caught in DC transporting a weapon in any manner other than that allowed by FOPA, you've committed a felony. It is not worth it IMO to gamble with even a mile of DC property.

Heck, DC would probably arrest you even if you comply with FOPA carry.

if you guys think a new thread is a good ida, let me know

map below:
    DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

And the following which was talking about walking as well as driving on NPS property.

Post from http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ry-merged.html
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    No carry unless local law allows it.

Many Parks and reserves cross boundaries and some are NOT marked.

For example --

1) A small part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway pavement is actually in DC, not Virginia. The last time I was up that way there was no sign and even if there was what are you going to do when you get to it on a limited access highway. See: columbia island washington dc - Google Maps

2) Also, check Roosevelt Island that is part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. It is in DC, while most of the GW Parkway is on Virginia. The Island is accessible only from the northbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. The entrance to the parking lot is located just north of the Roosevelt Bridge -- but it is still in DC and the last time I check there was no sign that you were entering DC.

Also for moe and discussion of high v low water mark see: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-virginia.html
    Last edited by DaveH; May 14th, 2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: fixed link & added earlier thread.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

This is why we need national reciprocity. Course it won't happen. Too many idiots listening to the idiot next to them.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

It amazes me that the same people whio scream for Federal intervention for National Reciprocity are the same people that scream bloody murder about Federal intervention in Gun Control. They want the feds to intervene to give them what they want and not to intervene in things they don't want. Federal intervention is Federal intervention, once it is authorized you can't stop it!

Which state rules for licensing do you really believe will prevail, Vermont or Illinois? Take a look at Chicago and you will see the newer, friendlier National Reciprocity laws. No gun carrying at all!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    It amazes me that the same people whio scream for Federal intervention for National Reciprocity are the same people that scream bloody murder about Federal intervention in Gun Control. They want the feds to intervene to give them what they want and not to intervene in things they don't want. Federal intervention is Federal intervention, once it is authorized you can't stop it!

Which state rules for licensing do you really believe will prevail, Vermont or Illinois? Take a look at Chicago and you will see the newer, friendlier National Reciprocity laws. No gun carrying at all!
    agreed. keep it state level. If they don't listen to the people of the state... vote them out

Once the feds get involved it kind of defeats the purpose of having the 2A
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

That area is crazy. It has something to do with that land being swamp land many years ago, and how the Potomac River was filled in at certain points to create DC land on the Va side of the River.
    DC has the River, and any land that was created or filled in the River is DC.

Some of Reagan Nat. Airport is in DC, but not policed by Metro Cops. Instead, the Airport Police Dept. has jurisdiction there.

I'm not sure about the Parkway. I thought that the US Park Police had jurisdiction?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    That area is crazy. It has something to do with that land being swamp land many years ago, and how the Potomac River was filled in at certain points to create DC land on the Va side of the River.
    DC has the River, and any land that was created or filled in the River is DC.

Some of Reagan Nat. Airport is in DC, but not policed by Metro Cops. Instead, the Airport Police Dept. has jurisdiction there.

I'm not sure about the Parkway. I thought that the US Park Police had jurisdiction?
    US Park Police do have jurisdiction. The problem is Columbia Island is in DC. Therefore since it's NPS property, DC law applies. The only way to be legal is to disarm, unload, place in locked trunk if in a car or in a lockbox if no trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    US Park Police do have jurisdiction. The problem is Columbia Island is in DC. Therefore since it's NPS property, DC law applies. The only way to be legal is to disarm, unload, place in locked trunk if in a car or in a lockbox if no trunk.
    I understand this, I was just giving an example of how DC owns property in Va. And how one can be charged with DC crimes in the state of Va.

I carried around that area for years. And the last place I wanted to end up, was in DC Circuit Court on a gun charge. And then serve time in Lorton Va. at the DC Detention Facility.

I was so concerned about it, that I consulted with an attorney who explained to me how DC could own property in Arlington Co. Va. and how the laws where administered, so, as not to violate them.

FWIW: This was about 15 years ago. But, I don't think anything has changed much.
    -Tony Soprano

DaveH: thanks for making this a separate thread.

I emailed Virginia Senator Jim Webb's office (since he is a gun owner) and asked if he would consider pushing a legislative fix. I doubt it but no harm in asking.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

That's ok, guys. We don't have to worry. I was just listening to the
    NRA on the radio this morning, and the UN is trying to enact WORLDWIDE gun control legislation. Last time they tried it, only the USA vetoed it. This time...

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    I emailed Virginia Senator Jim Webb's office (since he is a gun owner) and asked if he would consider pushing a legislative fix. I doubt it but no harm in asking.
    I wonder if there is any case law on this?
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I understand this, I was just giving an example of how DC owns property in Va. And how one can be charged with DC crimes in the state of Va.

I carried around that area for years. And the last place I wanted to end up, was in DC Circuit Court on a gun charge. And then serve time in Lorton Va. at the DC Detention Facility.
    Well, in the case of Columbia island, it's not a matter of DC property being in VA. it's Federal NPS property in DC.

Because US Park Police have jurisdiction and are Federal LEO, if you are arrested, you will be presented to a Federal magistrate in Alexandria, not DC Superior Court. Not a very appetizing scenario either way. if you are planning on driving across Columbia island, i strongly recommend stopping in VA, disarming and continue as per FOPA regs across the island. As I stated, I measured it again yesterday and it's about 1 mile or so.

I believe Federal control of gun rights is the only way to level the playing field. Ask someone in California if they appreciate what their state is doing for their gun privilages???? One law, one set of rules, and yes i do hope that our 2nd ammendment rights would be upheld at the federal level. Any guarantees??? Nope, but in my mind worth the risk. Bunker

geez...looks like i wont be driving on that parkway....

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    geez...looks like i wont be driving on that parkway....
    Actually its a beautiful drive, you just have to stay south of Alexandria.
    -Tony Soprano

For those of us living in very restrictive states and locales... federal/national reciprocity looks/sounds good...certainly better than our current/hopeless situations.
    To those of you living under good gun laws... you have much to lose and little to gain.
    It just seems to me the 2nd Ammendment should be treated like the rest of the Bill of Rights...and apply to people wherever they live in this great country.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links