Canada

Canada

This is a discussion on Canada within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to Canada. I know I can't carry there. I've read threads mentioning that there are local LGS'S that will store your weapons in their ...

Thread: Canada

Canada

Going to Canada. I know I can't carry there. I've read threads mentioning that there are local LGS'S that will store your weapons in their safe for a nominal fee. We'll be crossing the border @ Vancouver or nearabouts.(word?) Can any of you in the NW help me out?

Don't know how current the info is but check out the bottom of page 3, "Gun Storage Locations".

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by NCW Ray View Post
    Don't know how current the info is but check out the bottom of page 3, "Gun Storage Locations".
    Can't get thru there. Any other sites or addresses?

Don't take ANY guns near the border!
    Find a gun shop in a nearby town and have your firearm inspected and cleaned......pick it up upon your return.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Kesselrings gun shop near Bellingham!!

Kesselring Gun Shop Home Page
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by chad2000 View Post
    Can't get thru there. Any other sites or addresses?
    Contact Blaine PD (360) 332-6769 and see if they can give you some locations. Blaine PD is about a mile from the border so they've probably had many such info requests.

Canada

I have a friend who went up there with family fishing. She is also an NRA instructor but had no firearms of any type on her at the time. She was however forgetfully wearing here NRA instructor jacket. When the "Red Coats" saw the jacket they asked her three times if she had a gun, hassled a bit more and then finally let her cross. Hell who wants to go there anyway. We have fish and game where they will let you carry.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If you leave it in a gun shop, you have to fill out a 4473 to get it back. And you have to be a resident of said border state to get your handgun there.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    If you leave it in a gun shop, you have to fill out a 4473 to get it back. And you have to be a resident of said border state to get your handgun there.

Who...Whaaaa...

Only if they change the serial number. Unless this is some funky state law where you live.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Canada

Thanks to all of you. Members are always helpful on this site. Now I can legally carry while traveling in my RV and still be legal in Canada.

VIP Member
    Thanks to all of you. Members are always helpful on this site. Now I can legally carry while traveling in my RV and still be legal in Canada.
    You are most welcome here.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

whm
    Would like some more information... My wife and I take a long motorcycle trip every summer and I prefer to carry my CCW gun with me. We would like to go to Canada starting at Niagara Fall and ride up on the other side of the lake to Vermont...I know about which states to avoid but wander I can carry on a motorcycle if it's legal in an RV ?

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    I have a friend who went up there with family fishing. She is also an NRA instructor but had no firearms of any type on her at the time. She was however forgetfully wearing here NRA instructor jacket. When the "Red Coats" saw the jacket they asked her three times if she had a gun, hassled a bit more and then finally let her cross. Hell who wants to go there anyway. We have fish and game where they will let you carry.
    Please note very carefully: Canadian law does not permit concealed carry unless you are one of the privileged few; however, if you have a permit and the necessary papers you are able to bring handguns with you for competition. The key is that you need the paperwork before you arrive, thank you very much.

Please note VERY carefully: It is the U.S. authorities that require export documentation if you are exporting firearms from the USA and it gets complex from there.

I have both U.S. carry permits and Canadian license, registration of firearms and an ATT (Authorization to Transport) from border points to my place of residence in Canada and have crossed MANY times without trouble.

It is all in the paperwork and if you are uncertain you want to make absolutely positively SURE that your paperwork is in order as it is the U.S. Border Agency that has the bigger teeth when you depart. When you reach the Canadian side of the border and declare your firearms you will likely just be sent back across to the US side, where you will languish in the local jail until your mess is cleared up.

Short story?..... If you are not sure of what you are doing.... leave your guns at home or at least on the US side of the border. And if you don't have a cousin at or near the border crossing point why not unload and ship your gun to yourself at either a freight forwarder, mail box, or whatever, keeping it away from the border.

At most border crossings in Ontario, departing from the USA into Canada, there is random inspection on the US side for firearms, etc. Export of firearms or ammo illegally is a felony, just to be sure.

Attempting to carry concealed into Canada is the equivilant.

Attempting to carry into Canada and declaring generally results in "turn around and head back" unless your paperwork is in order.

All the information for bringing your firearms into Canada is posted online and it is not a ragged ordeal (concealed carry IS though).

Ditto in the opposite direction unless you are an American and have a CC permit.

About as clear as mud; just like travelling from state to state as we wont to do every year.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    You can give these guys a call

Gun Exporters - Dave's Sports Shop - Lynden, WA

Are you staying in Vancouver? if so PM me and tell me when.

If you are going North, you can take a pump shotgun with barrel longer than 18.5" (go with 20" to be safe) Fill out the paperwork.

The borderguards were often summer students with a "save the world from the US" mentality. Now we are arming our guards and making them get a civilain gun licence, the attitudes will be changing. If you think ours are bad just try entering the US as a noin-citizen. I swear countries around the world hire socially incompetent people to guard their borders.

Links