Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today

This is a discussion on Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mrjam2jab Ok...I'll say it. That's because it's not required. But when he went to run me he would have found out. I ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Ok...I'll say it. That's because it's not required.
    But when he went to run me he would have found out. I have made sure that it shows up that I do have a valid CFP when my DL is run. By law I was not required to inform him but I'm going to inform every single time. I proved my respect for him by informing and from his verbal response he truly did appreciate that I did inform. Did it help? I have no clue.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Common sense and mutual respect...gotta love it.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member
    With most of the States being broke $$$ I am shocked he didn't pinch you.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    A little mutual respect always goes a long way.
    Ditto!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

you got L-U-C-K-Y on that ticket (17 over ) Good the rest went well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    you got L-U-C-K-Y on that ticket (17 over ) Good the rest went well too.
    I thought a ticket was coming. I would have paid it as I was speeding but I'm happy I was only given a verbal and I will not speed on that road anymore. I might do 5 over but that is it. I made a promise to that trooper and I will keep that promise.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Is it just me or does it sort of imply a psychological 'guilt' when you feel like you must notify an LEO in a non-required state that you are armed? OK maybe not guilt but some sort of reservation or second guessing of the appropriateness of being armed near an LEO. An attentive LEO would surely pick up on this sense of having to 'tattle' on yourself.

**NOTE I am not accusing the OP or anyone else of this, just making an observation and hypothesis based on many episodes that have been related around these parts.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Is it just me or does it sort of imply a psychological 'guilt' when you feel like you must notify an LEO in a non-required state that you are armed? OK maybe not guilt but some sort of reservation or second guessing of the appropriateness of being armed near an LEO. An attentive LEO would surely pick up on this sense of having to 'tattle' on yourself.
    No quilt or reservation at all on my part. This was a traffic stop. I wanted him to know right away I was armed. I had no problem telling the trooper I was armed and I wanted him to know that I was. I wanted his comfort level as low as it could be. I have been stopped many times while not armed and this stop was one of the most relaxing of them all.

I cannot stress how much he thanked me for informing him. He seemed truly surprised that I offered that information right from the start of our conversation.

Is it just me or does it sort of imply a psychological 'guilt' when you feel like you must notify an LEO in a non-required state that you are armed?
    speaking for myself, I'd rather inform them up front even if I'm not required to rather than them finding out unexpectedly and all hell breaks loose.

VIP Member
    Required or not, give the man the respect to tell him you are armed. He will run your DL and it will probably, depending on the state, come up that you have a permit. Why make a molehill into a mountain, you are not committing a crime by legally carrying concealed.
    Glad it went well on both ends and all this occured without you having the benifit of legal counsel at the stop or you envoking your right to remain silent.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

When I get stopped I usually tell the officer before we begin "I am reaching for my shield and id" they usually can figure out what that means. If not I explain to them that I have my weapon on, and that I don't want any surprises on either end.
    One more step and it's on!

No guilt for me, but if I am ever stopped I WILL always inform: we live in the computer age, and in many states (such as my own) your CCW comes up during a DL check, so the LEO is going to find out anyway...

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I proved my respect for him by informing
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Required or not, give the man the respect to tell him you are armed. He will run your DL and it will probably, depending on the state, come up that you have a permit. Why make a molehill into a mountain, you are not committing a crime by legally carrying concealed.
    It seems that whenever this "inform argument" comes up...no, I'm not trying to cause the argument....it seems that RESPECT always comes up. Can somebody explain to me why NOT INFORMING is a sign of DISRESPECT...??? Even if he "finds out" when he runs your info...just because you don't inform doesn't mean you're hiding anything.

I keep my DL and permit together in a small two window ID carrier,
    as soon as I open it to show the DL the permit is right next to it in plain view.
    I have never been asked if I was carrying,I guess when they see the permit they just assume I am.
    Never been a problem.

My first , and so far only, stop while armed went as well as yours did. When I received my CHL I made the decision to always tell the officer that I had the license and that I was armed. I would want to know in his shoes so that is what I have decided to do. I have no remorse or guilt but I do not want there to be any surprises either.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links