Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today

This is a discussion on Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wouldn't it be nice if politicians treated each other with the same respect displayed here by Concealed Carry personnel?...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today

Respect

Wouldn't it be nice if politicians treated each other with the same respect displayed here by Concealed Carry personnel?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Mutual respect, what a concept.

I'm glad everything went well. Most Troopers are decent to deal with.

I'm luck in that I have a Delaware State Police registration plate on my truck. That sort of gives them a clue before they even speak to me! I usually drive at the speed limit and behave myself. I do get a lot of waves, lights and siren as they go by me though.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

good for you.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Every time this comes up I post this response because I absolutely believe it

I really believe that some of the "always inform" crowd truly believe in their deepest,fevered, fantasies that their permit makes them an adjunct LEO and they can't wait to show that card to the cop.
    Of all the states that allow CC only 10 require you to notify the officer during a police interaction. I think that's significant, we're at, what 45- 47 states that allow ccw? And only 10 feel that Officer Safety is enhanced by requiring notification. In many states (Colorado included) no permit is required to carry a concealed weapon in your vehicle, how would a law requiring notification by permit holders affect them? More significantly, how would such a law affect the thousands of criminal who ignore every other gun law on the books on a daily basis?

I can't see how informing a police officer you're armed can do anything but escalate tensions, especially if you win the lottery and inform an officer who thinks anyone with a CCW is a wannabe cop.

there’s no benefit to me if I voluntarily inform so I don't. I'm required to produce my permit and a valid I.D if I'm asked that would be the only time I would do so.

I also think threads like this don't change people's minds at all, sheep are sheep it's in their nature it's who they are.

OK...I am about as "radical" a CCW rights advocate as there is and think anyone that wants to carry should be able to.

I also rode on patrol with a full time deputy sheriff buddy for almost 9 years; I KNOW what it is like to suddenly have a handgun come into sight during the first contact phase of a traffic stop, I've drawn and kept it out of sight but ready a couple of times. I inform just so everyone is on the same sheet of music and there are no surprises.

Well Treo maybe one day you will be thanked multiple times by a State Trooper for informing him right away even when you are not required to by law. I stated before. He truly did appreciate that I informed him right away. His tone and facial expressions said a lot.

As soon as he ran me he would have found out I have a valid CFP and I would rather inform than act like a complete jerk because the law states I do not have to inform. If you want to believe that some have this deep fevered fantasy about being an adjunct LEO that is fine. I know my CFP is not a badge and gives me no special rights. I'm cool with that.

I will inform right away. My right to do so and it is the method I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Well Treo maybe one day you will be thanked multiple times by a State Trooper for informing him right away even when you are not required to by law.
    I promise you that will never happen

As soon as he ran me he would have found out I have a valid CFP and I would rather inform than act like a complete jerk because the law states I do not have to inform.
    How is simply remaining silent "acting like a complete jerk"?

I will inform right away. My right to do so and it is the method I prefer.
    I never will for the same reason

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I can't see how informing a police officer you're armed can do anything but escalate tensions, especially if you win the lottery and inform an officer who thinks anyone with a CCW is a wannabe cop.

there’s no benefit to me if I voluntarily inform so I don't. I'm required to produce my permit and a valid I.D if I'm asked that would be the only time I would do so.
    While I applaud the OP's excellent day and right decision for him, I agree with Treo. In my neck of the woods informing being armed -- not required -- would just escalate the situation.

They pull me over for speeding or whatever excuse, DL, insurance and registration they'll get in addition to good morning/evening whatever.

Treo I personally would feel like a complete jerk for not informing. That is just me. We both have strong opinions on the subject and we are not going to agree with each other.

I'm cool with that as well.

When I use the term jerk I am using it as slang. As in fatuous, that is how I would feel if I did not inform.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    While I applaud the OP's excellent day and right decision for him, I agree with Treo. In my neck of the woods informing being armed -- not required -- would just escalate the situation.
    Just saw your post. Thank you but because I did inform it relaxed the situation.

Treo I personally would feel like a complete jerk for not informing. That is just me.
    But, why? You aren't a danger to the cop. Your gun isn't going to miraculously jump out of its holster and open fire
    So how are you a jerk for keeping your mouth shut?

But, why? You aren't a danger to the cop. Your gun isn't going to miraculously jump out of its holster and open fire
    So how are you a jerk for keeping your mouth shut?
    I cannot give you an answer that will satisfy you. You are set in your ways and I am set in mine. I'm cool with that.

I cannot give you an answer that will satisfy you. You are set in your ways and I am set in mine. I'm cool with that.
    OMG I have to put in 3 characteres to say OK?

But, why? you aren't a danger to the cop.
    you know that, but he doesn't. All he'll know is you're an armed individual (if he checked the system) after you got pulled over or if you accidentally print or flash while reaching for your paperwork.
    it takes 5 seconds to say "before we start officer, I have a permit and i'm currently armed". what do you have to lose by informing?
    what if you carry at 4 o'clock and your wallet is also in your right back pocket? you don't think he'll look while you're trying to reach for your wallet? he might see a slight bulge and draw...now the adrenaline starts pumping and you're looking at the other end of a gun. Because of pride, ego, or principle, you just turned a simple routine stop into a very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy3rd View Post
    Because of pride, ego, or principle, you just turned a simple routine stop into a very bad situation.
    Yeah, I know I'm not Treo, but let me ask this: who initiates the stop, and is there really a germane / an emergency reason to pull people over? (In this particular situation the OP was obviously speeding.)

Instead of letting citizens to go about their daily business, the eager coppers are looking for an excuse to stop Americans and find something they'd use against them. You condone that?

Now, I fail to see how a law-abiding citizen should play with the LEO who chose is his/her profession and now is somehow the lord of the universe because his/her life is more important? Excuse me, but her/his is not.

S/he pulls me over and he has to deal with the consequences.

S/he decides the outcome of the stop. You wanna see the DL, registration and proof of insurance? Go for it, nobody is challenging you for that.

He is in a wrong profession if knowing his current prey is legally carrying a firearm and "now the adrenaline starts pumping and you're looking at the other end of a gun."

Most definitely!

Yes, it's known to happen that the protect-and-serve LEO is all too happy to escalate a 'routine' traffic stop to something else when a legal firearm comes to play. When exactly did legal become illegal?

BTW, I'd never say, "I have a permit and i'm currently armed." I'd be 'carrying' or 'exercising that right.'

It's free country - mostly, feel to open up: I'm armed!

My 2 cents.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links