Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today - Page 4

Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today

This is a discussion on Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tommy3rd you know that, but he doesn't. All he'll know is you're an armed individual (if he checked the system) after you ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by a Maine State Trooper today

Quote Originally Posted by tommy3rd View Post
    you know that, but he doesn't. All he'll know is you're an armed individual (if he checked the system) after you got pulled over or if you accidentally print or flash while reaching for your paperwork.
    Which is why I have my wallet in my hand before the cop ever gets to my car. Also in Colorado (El Paso County) there's no "system" for him to check. Are you really that much of a failure at concealment that you can't get to your wallet W/out flashing your gun?

What I'm reading in your post is that if a cop sees an armed citizen it's completely OK for the cop to throw down on him/her based strictly on that fact. Do you really believe that?

I ask this question again because it seems to get ignored; How would you deal W/ a person legally carrying a weapon in their vehicle W/out a permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I also think threads like this don't change people's minds at all, sheep are sheep it's in their nature it's who they are.
    Threads are supposed to change peoples minds?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Threads are supposed to change peoples minds?

Changing My Stance On Open Carry - TheHighRoad.US

Is a well reasoned argument less effective because it's on the internet?

Changing My Stance On Open Carry - TheHighRoad.US

Is a well reasoned argument less effective because it's on the internet?
    No. I'm not questioning the forum or manner in which an opinion is expressed. I'm questioning your expectation that threads are supposed to change people's minds.

One person's well reasoned argument is another persons farce. A "well reasoned argument" is the domain of the person holding that same opinion.

I'm pretty confident when I say my most people on this forum are not out to change minds. Rather, they are hear to listen to and evaluate other opinions.

Just because your had an epiphany on a message boards does not mean every one else has or will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm glad everything went well. Most Troopers are decent to deal with.

I'm luck in that I have a Delaware State Police registration plate on my truck. That sort of gives them a clue before they even speak to me! I usually drive at the speed limit and behave myself. I do get a lot of waves, lights and siren as they go by me though.

Hey Hiram do you trade patches?
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Yeah, I know I'm not Treo, but let me ask this: who initiates the stop, and is there really a germane / an emergency reason to pull people over? (In this particular situation the OP was obviously speeding.)

Instead of letting citizens to go about their daily business, the eager coppers are looking for an excuse to stop Americans and find something they'd use against them. You condone that?

Now, I fail to see how a law-abiding citizen should play with the LEO who chose is his/her profession and now is somehow the lord of the universe because his/her life is more important? Excuse me, but her/his is not.

S/he pulls me over and he has to deal with the consequences.

S/he decides the outcome of the stop. You wanna see the DL, registration and proof of insurance? Go for it, nobody is challenging you for that.

He is in a wrong profession if knowing his current prey is legally carrying a firearm and "now the adrenaline starts pumping and you're looking at the other end of a gun."

Most definitely!

Yes, it's known to happen that the protect-and-serve LEO is all too happy to escalate a 'routine' traffic stop to something else when a legal firearm comes to play. When exactly did legal become illegal?

BTW, I'd never say, "I have a permit and i'm currently armed." I'd be 'carrying' or 'exercising that right.'

It's free country - mostly, feel to open up: I'm armed!

My 2 cents.
    MN2go:

It would be so much easier to read your fine post if you use the masculine gender to refer to either male or female officers. PC is nice but totally unnecessary.

Don't be offended, I am not trying to offend you.

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Yeah, I know I'm not Treo, but let me ask this: who initiates the stop

S/he pulls me over and he has to deal with the consequences.

S/he decides the outcome of the stop.

You seems to think that cops have nothing better to do than sneak around making up reasons to stick it to law abiding citizens. Get real. Traffic stops are a PITA and unless traffic is their assignment you generally have to be doing something that can't be ignored to get pulled over.

Here's how it works:
    It's your behavior that attracts their attention and gets you pulled over.
    It's your behavior that determines the outcome of the stop.
    And, it's you that has to deal with the consequences of your behavior.

Once the stop is over and you're on your way, I'm moving on to something else.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Way to go!! You did well! and so did the LEO! I wish ALL stops could go that way, for BOTH Parties!
    You showed him total respect, and he responded with same
    You went home with a verbal, and he (the LEO) went home safe that night. I'm sure he was grateful for you responding to him in such a professonal manner.
    Mutal respect goes a LONG WAY! NOW.......Slow down "leadfoot" LOL (aka MAINE-EE-AK)
    BTW, I'm sure you people "down there" have a few good phrases for us in NH
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

GM
    Very professional!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    NOW.......Slow down "leadfoot" LOL (aka MAINE-EE-AK)

BTW, I'm sure you people "down there" have a few good phrases for us in NH
    I have to travel on the same road on Thursday. I made him a promise and I will keep it. I won't do over 65 anymore on that road.

We have a few words for the folks from Mass but I've yet to hear anything negative for folks from NH.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    He did not light me up right away. He slowly turned around and didn't race to catch up with me with his blues on. I knew I was busted and I slowed down and waited for the blues to come on. I even placed my turn signal on when pulling onto the shoulder.
    Ha that happened to me about a month ago. I was on a highway that was wide open in this spot, and it was a nice day out and I was just cruising. Was going almost 70 in the 55 when I saw a cop and then looked at my speedometer. He just turned around and slowly caught up to me. I slowed down to a crawl until he did. He asked me what I did wrong and I told him I was going a little fast, just hard to go 55 on that part of the road. Ended up getting a written warning, took less than 5 minutes for the whole thing. Thankfully, I have veteran license plates so I think that helps me out :)

Anyway good stop, glad he saved you $178 and was nice about it.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

I have only had one or two BAD LEO encounters in the past 10 or more years; I was stopped 150 feet from an intersection that I had just made a left turn into and advised that I was doing about 70 mph.

Took it to court. Asked how long I had been followed as that's how he 'clocked me'. Asked how many vehicles he knew, in particular family vans, that could do zero to 70 in 150 feet out of a left hand turn. And did he note that I was carrying computers and test equipment in the back of my van?

Case dismissed.

Guess he just had a bad morning and the wife beat him up before he left for work or something. We are all human - LEO's are expected to hold themselves above the general public in that regard but sometimes it's just not possible.

Oh. Also got a seat belt infraction ticket about 15 years ago when I was wearing a shirt same color as seat belt. He noted that I was not wearing a seat belt from a significant distance and through tinted side windows with the sun reflecting off them. Go figure. "No evidence to present. Sorry your honor". Case dismissed.

It all depends on attitude, both yours and the LEO's. And on the 'reasonable doubt' factor.

Just remember that LEO's are human and will respond to human interaction the same as you and I generally.

And then be prepared to go to court to defend your position politely (never call a LEO a liar.... mistaken identity.... 'thought' he saw... etc.)

Which is why I have my wallet in my hand before the cop ever gets to my car.
    This is why I purchased a money clip with pockets that hold my DL and CPL, plus a few credit cards. I carry it weak side front pocket so I don't have to reach past my EDC to get my wallet out.
    Luckily I haven't had to show it yet. I have actually been a little more carefull to watch my speed and not "push the envelope" since I got my CPL.

Sounds like you lucked out big time. Reasonable cop, and just a warning. Nice.

What I think:

He should have asked you where on your person the pistol was hung, lodged, holstered, etc, etc. He should (at the very least) have checked that you had a valid permit, by visually inspecting it. You opened the door (by telling him), so he has a right to request that document especially after your admittance to being armed.

Honestly, keeping your mouth shut about being armed, unless or until the stop is going to escalate into an exit of you from your vehicle or there is a danger that the officer may see the weapon is probably a better idea. Just sayin'

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links