What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict?

This is a discussion on What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by aedinius Vermont is incredibly restrictive: you can't carry outside the state. Which is why you can get a permit from another state ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict?

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    Vermont is incredibly restrictive: you can't carry outside the state.
    Which is why you can get a permit from another state that has reciprocity with numerous others, one such as FL.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    Sorry. I'm very, very suspicious of the story about not notifying a LEO when merely saying Hi or needing to. Official contact, yes.

I rarely see gun-buster signs except in medical facilities and BassPro Shops. And of course government facilities.
    I went to Discover Mills Mall here in Georgia on Thursday and could not find a single sign prohibiting firearms in the Bass Pro Shop that's integrated into the mall. In fact the only sign I saw was information regarding some classes dealing with concealed carry and general gun safety. Discover Mills is a do not patronize while armed, but state laws preempt them and thus they have no legal ramifications other than you having to leave when asked to leave.

Hopefully SB 308 will finally stop this nonsense of "public gathering grey areas" with the clear and defined public gathering clauses included therein as I did not feel like violating the law when I went to Regal Cinemas yesterday and had to leave the 1911 at home.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Based on my own personal experience (i.e., places outside of Maryland I have traveled where my FL license is valid), I would say N.C. There are so many no-carry places there that I could hardly ever carry outside my dad's condo.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Michigan is a lot better than FL or TX are.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Based on my own personal experience (i.e., places outside of Maryland I have traveled where my FL license is valid), I would say N.C. there are so many no-carry places there that I could hardly ever carry outside my dad's condo.
    Yes, and it it became such a pain for me even in '96 in Raleigh, that I simply stopped carrying altogether. The CCW meant nothing with all the 'No Gun' posted areas around -- useless.

Strange though that hdawson has never noticed this. He may be new to NC, or live in a very rural farm area, or ???.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Michigan is a lot better than FL or TX are.
    How so? Just for OC? Trust me I am very comfortable having tactical advantage of nobody knowing what I got.

Unless you can backup your statement then you should take it back.

Just for the record to those of you bashing states for no open carry let me remind you that this thread is regarding "shall issue" wich is the process for obtaining a concealed weapon's or firearm permit in said state. Open carry doesn't apply to this in almost all instances.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    NC has been mentioned by some as being most restrictive. I have looked at all states that are shall issue. I next looked at two states that can't really decide if they are shall issue or not. These are Alabama and Connecticut. I would next look at all states that require registration of handguns. That to me is just annoying. Assigning an order of magnitude to each restriction on the list that has been started may be possible. Open carry can be deleted from the list since it has no bearing on "shall issue" for purposes of concealed carry.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

How can anyone say Texas?

It may not be the best, but simply hearing some of the stories on these boards and you can quickly discover that Texas is one of the more gun friendly states in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    In your opinion which state that is "Shall Issue" is also the most restrictive in terms of where you may or may not carry?

Here lately I've been thinking that North Carolina may take the cake, and Michigan is up there.
    What is wrong with Michigan's shall issue?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    NC has been mentioned by some as being most restrictive. I have looked at all states that are shall issue. I next looked at two states that can't really decide if they are shall issue or not. These are Alabama and Connecticut. I would next look at all states that require registration of handguns. That to me is just annoying. Assigning an order of magnitude to each restriction on the list that has been started may be possible. Open carry can be deleted from the list since it has no bearing on "shall issue" for purposes of concealed carry.
    Oddly, it can be the little things in the gun laws that can really kill you, as well as the regional political mood of the people themselves: For instance, as I stated above, I had to stop carrying in NC after only a few months of receiving my CCW permit, because it started to become absurd that almost everywhere I went I had to dis-arm due to the liberal citizen's themselves using the power of their "No Guns" signs.

Then their was the weirdness of even buying a gun in NC: If you were new to the state, as I and my wife both were, and you did not have a friend who could legally vouch for you at the gunshop (and sign a legal document), then you could not purchase a handgun. (And I was not about to ask my new work associates to help me on this -- it wouldn't have been a popular thing to do...)

But by that little "common sense" gun-buying law, which was probably passed because the state felt that every good and sane man MUST have at least one friend or he MUST not be either good or sane, completely prevented me from purchasing any new pistols for CCW whatsoever.

So, it's those little things that can get ya...

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    How so? Just for OC? Trust me I am very comfortable having tactical advantage of nobody knowing what I got.

Unless you can backup your statement then you should take it back.

Just for the record to those of you bashing states for no open carry let me remind you that this thread is regarding "shall issue" wich is the process for obtaining a concealed weapon's or firearm permit in said state. Open carry doesn't apply to this in almost all instances.
    Wow you're panties are in a wad, aren't they?

You should reread the question:
    which state that is "Shall Issue" is also the most restrictive in terms of where you may or may not carry?
    Looks to me like it says "carry" not "concealed carry only".

FL's no concealed carry places 14 total. TX no concealed carry places 13 total. MI no concealed carry places 10.

Michigan also has open carry. Now before you start whining again about "oh that isn't fair this is about concealed" here is one thing that having a MI CPL will allow. See those "no concealed carry places" in the MI section of the law (google it)? Well, if you have a CPL you can open carry in every single venue listed, legally. Yes, that's right, if you have a CPL in MI, you can carry anywhere you want so long as you conceal or open carry as the law pertains. So as you see, with a Michigan CPL, there are essentially no places you can't carry a firearm. You just have to open carry in some. Also with the open carry being legal, printing or unintentional showing of a pistol is not against the law, since open carry is legal. In TX or FL, depending on officer discretion, you might be arrested for open carry.

Your rebuttal, sir....
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I'll admit that the gun laws here are restrictive, but they certainly don't keep me from carrying on a daily basis. I just plan accordingly and make choices. I don't drink, so I give my business to restaurants that don't serve alcohol. I don't spend money at places with signs (I haven't seen that many in my neck of the woods). If you have lived in the County for 30 days, you may aquire a gun purchase permit for $5 at the local Sheriff's office ( you don't need to know anyone or have anyone vouch for you to buy. Gotta admit I've never heard that one.). I carry whenever and wherever I can legally, even if it takes a little effort. It's worth it to me. Do I wish it were better? Yes.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    Duty to inform LEO and promptly. No legal definition of prompt. 50 seconds was to long and went to court in one case.
    It's actually MUCH worse than you portray it, since the person in question was ORDERED TO REMAIN SILENT, then prosecuted for OBEYING THE LEOs' ORDERS. He managed to OBEY THE LAW after ***51 seconds*** DESPITE the LEOs' best efforts. He was of course acquitted. If it were me, I'd be out for blood, both from the city and the individual officers in civil court. Specifically because of this case, I advise people to shout over the cop to notify if you have to. If he wants to tase me or commit some other kind of criminal assault against me because I obeyed black letter law, he can go for it and pay the consequences. The incident was recorded and lots of us here carry voice recorders. When you act in an untrustworthy fashion, people stop trusting you and adapt accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    Eating at Mcd's and a school bus rolls in your screwed.
    That's a new one to me. Where can I find that in the ORC? If a judge is standing behind me in line at Burger King, does that mean I'm carrying in a court house? The ORC's provisions on CCW are often ambiguous, but it usually takes malicious simpletons like those cops and the prosecutor in Beachwood to take things to such extremes. Fortunately, such things appear (to me) to be comparatively rare.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    If you have lived in the County for 30 days, you may aquire a gun purchase permit for $5 at the local Sheriff's office
    (you don't need to know anyone or have anyone vouch for you to buy. Gotta admit I've never heard that one.)
    In NC the pistol purchase permit requirements vary from county to county. In my case (City of Raleigh, Wake County) they required a friend to sign a legal document. That was in 1996. It is not so now (I just researched it):

Character witness requirement shelved for Wake gun permit

The Associated Press
    Feb 7, 2002 : 10:38 am ET

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Wake County Sheriff's Office has discarded a long-standing policy requiring a person who wants a handgun permit to bring in a character witness when applying.

The tradition, which dates back more than 30 years, has been eliminated as the permit process was delayed and more people sought permits following Sept. 11.

"We were one of the last departments in the state that still required the character reference," Bissette said.

Bissette also said the character witness wasn't such a good character, with criminal flaws showing up during a background check.

"The person applying would check out OK, but the character witness would have problems," he said. "We'd have to tell the applicants, `I'm sorry, but you need another character witness.'"

The new policy, which took effect Feb. 1, still requires the state-required background check, as well as a $5 application fee.

-Bill

Where I live, I see relatively few "no guns" signs. None of the grocery stores or banks (not even PNC, I believe) here posts. Neither does the mall. None of the fast food restaurants is posted. At least a couple of the malls are posted, but leaving a gun in your car at them is only civil trespass, and then only if they see it. I don't generally wave my firearm around in parking lots.

Ohio's about in the middle. It could be better, but it could be much worse. In fact, it's gotten steadily better since CCW was legalized. There are bills pending to remove method restrictions in automobiles and the Class D liquor establishment ban for people not drinking.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links