What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict?

This is a discussion on What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy But by that little "common sense" gun-buying law, which was probably passed because the state felt that every good ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict?

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    But by that little "common sense" gun-buying law, which was probably passed because the state felt that every good and sane man MUST have at least one friend or he MUST not be either good or sane, completely prevented me from purchasing any new pistols for CCW whatsoever.

So, it's those little things that can get ya...

-Bill
    Im a little confused. If you have a CCW permit in NC you can buy guns. I'm new to the state so was there a time when your CCW didnt allow you to purchase as well as carry?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    In a slightly different vein, I say VA is restrictive because even though we are shall issue, the Sheriff or Chief of Police can veto your application based on 'personal knowledge' that you might use the weapon unlawfully.

How ambiguous is that? Sounds like PreCrime to me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Cool

If you don't have your CCW you can apply for a purchase permit at your local Sheriff's office. $5 and 7 days up to five handguns. With CCW no purchase permit required.

CCW applications do NOT ask for personal references. Only medical/psychological references.

I live in The Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro and High Point.

Never spent time in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Repeat: I rarely see gun buster signs.

Did not own guns back in the 1990s nor have knowlege of any early CCW issues.

VIP Member
    I chose to include OC as an "issue" because of laws including brandishing charges if your concealed gun becomes visible. Also, a CFP here (in Utah), also changes your options for OC; without any permit, you can OC without a chambered round. With a CFP you may carry with a round chambered.

Also, there are many here who choose to OC, so to many it is a big issue.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Rhode Island. Technically a Shall issue state but you have to give reason as to why you should have a carry permit. Stating that it is your constitutional right wont cut it.

They have reciprocity with ZERO states and no OC. While some of their carry restrictions are less stringent than other states, the ability to override the issuance of a permit based on a Chief or the AG thinking that your reason just isn't good enough makes RI a disaster.

They may be listed as Shall but they are definitely a May issue state.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwatMedic338 View Post
    Rhode Island. Technically a Shall issue state but you have to give reason as to why you should have a carry permit. Stating that it is your constitutional right wont cut it.

They have reciprocity with ZERO states and no OC. While some of their carry restrictions are less stringent than other states, the ability to override the issuance of a permit based on a Chief or the AG thinking that your reason just isn't good enough makes RI a disaster.

They may be listed as Shall but they are definitely a May issue state.
    Although there is no "official" reciprocity between RI and Utah, we recognize their permit and allow anyone with a permit FROM ANY STATE (res or non-res), to carry in Utah.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 16th, 2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarity
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Wow you're panties are in a wad, aren't they?

You should reread the question:

Looks to me like it says "carry" not "concealed carry only".

FL's no concealed carry places 14 total. TX no concealed carry places 13 total. MI no concealed carry places 10.

Michigan also has open carry. Now before you start whining again about "oh that isn't fair this is about concealed" here is one thing that having a MI CPL will allow. See those "no concealed carry places" in the MI section of the law (google it)? Well, if you have a CPL you can open carry in every single venue listed, legally. Yes, that's right, if you have a CPL in MI, you can carry anywhere you want so long as you conceal or open carry as the law pertains. So as you see, with a Michigan CPL, there are essentially no places you can't carry a firearm. You just have to open carry in some. Also with the open carry being legal, printing or unintentional showing of a pistol is not against the law, since open carry is legal. In TX or FL, depending on officer discretion, you might be arrested for open carry.

Your rebuttal, sir....
    Yawn...you sound like a politician. What I was saying, or asking is to clarify what the you meant with your terse reply. It read as if you were playing the "my state is better than your state, NAH NAH NAH". There's been a few posts like that. Offering no real statement of facts to backup their comment of "state x sucks".
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I chose to include OC as an "issue" because of laws including brandishing charges if your concealed gun becomes visible. Also, a CFP here (in Utah), also changes your options for OC; without any permit, you can OC without a chambered round. With a CFP you may carry with a round chambered.

Also, there are many here who choose to OC, so to many it is a big issue.
    Certain states have a different interpretation of brandishing for just this type of thing. I can see what you're saying though, but many times it's no big deal.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by SwatMedic338 View Post

I'm a little confused. If you have a CCW permit in NC you can buy guns. I'm new to the state so was there a time when your CCW didnt allow you to purchase as well as carry?

Yes, that was not always the case, as dumb as that may sound. In fact, that is a relatively new change to the law:

"The 2003-2004 Session of the NC General Assembly rewrote NC General Statute 14-402 (Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden). It was rewritten to allow citizens who have been issued a North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit to lawfully obtain a handgun WITHOUT having to purchase an additional permit from the Sheriff."

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post

If you don't have your CCW you can apply for a purchase permit at your local Sheriff's office. With CCW no purchase permit required.
    Please see Post #39

CCW applications do NOT ask for personal references. Only medical/psychological references.
    Please see Post #29

Never spent time in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.
    Repeat: I rarely see gun buster signs.
    Your area is (apparently) not the same in reference to "No Gun" signs as was the Raleigh area in 1996.

Did not own guns back in the 1990s nor have knowlege of any early CCW issues.
    This further explains it, as my NC CCW experiences were in 1996 when the law was spankin' fresh new, as I stated.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Yawn...you sound like a politician.
    Translation: I came back with a better rebuttal than you thought I would have.

What I was saying, or asking is to clarify what the you meant with your terse reply. It read as if you were playing the "my state is better than your state, NAH NAH NAH". There's been a few posts like that. Offering no real statement of facts to backup their comment of "state x sucks".
    The OP stated Michigan was "up there" as being high on the list as being one of the most restrictive when in fact it is one of the freest with their carry laws, both open and concealed. Even the MI concealed carry laws, open carry aside, are freer than other states which are always praised for their libertarian outlook on carry laws. Trouble is these same states have more no CCW places than MI does and MI allows the option for open carry, furthermore open carry with a CPL on those listed premises is completely 100% legal and the state also has full pre-emption with all gun laws. That, IMO, is a lot better than many other states in reality. All it takes is a quick look at the laws. Michigan isn't perfect, none are, but it's better than most.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Cool

Why refer back fourteen years when the laws were inacted to answer the OPs question refering to current issues?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    What is wrong with Michigan's shall issue?
    I'm looking at it in regards to what is off limits. You guys have quite the laundry list. As does NC and OH.

In PA, I can think of only 5 places that are off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm looking at it in regards to what is off limits. You guys have quite the laundry list. As does NC and OH.

In PA, I can think of only 5 places that are off limits.
    Of course I can sell to any non-prohibited person without intermediaries and there's no "registry that's not a registry".

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    That has nothing to do with carry though. The idea behind this thread was about where you can and can't carry in a shall issue state.

Not gun laws in general.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links