What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict?

This is a discussion on What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In your opinion which state that is "Shall Issue" is also the most restrictive in terms of where you may or may not carry? Here ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What "Shall Issue" state is the most strict?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

In your opinion which state that is "Shall Issue" is also the most restrictive in terms of where you may or may not carry?

Here lately I've been thinking that North Carolina may take the cake, and Michigan is up there.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't know which states fit this, but I'd have to say the most restrictive shall issue states would be ones that have these things on their books.

No OC
    Gun buster signs that you have to obey
    Can't keep a gun in your car at work
    Duty to retreat
    Only carry the gun(s) listed on permit
    No carry in school zones
    No carry on college campus
    No carry in parks
    No carry in city bldg.
    No carry in bars/restaurants that serve alcohol

EDIT: ADDITIONS

No or restricted Castle Doctrine
    Restrictions on other weapons; Knives, impact weapons, tasers etc.
    No State preemption
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 15th, 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    In your opinion which state that is "Shall Issue" is also the most restrictive in terms of where you may or may not carry?

Here lately I've been thinking that North Carolina may take the cake, and Michigan is up there.

I had a CCW from North Carolina in '96, and I have to agree that it was a rather painful permit, at least back then: Gun Buster signs everywhere (in Raleigh), and you must inform a LEO even when he was not officially dealing with you (a guy was arrested when I lived there because he did not inform a female LEO who he had said "Hi!" to on the street. Don't know the outcome).

-Bill

Me thinks : Arizona is will be one of the 3 least restrictive states, along with their Alaska and Vermont club members.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Cool

Sorry. I'm very, very suspicious of the story about not notifying a LEO when merely saying Hi or needing to. Official contact, yes.

I rarely see gun-buster signs except in medical facilities and BassPro Shops. And of course government facilities.

I'd agree if there's no OC, that's a big minus. Other than that, I think Ohio may be up there as far as having a number of off-limits place.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

Go find the Brady Bunch state scores, and go from there. Highest BB score "wins."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

hands down it is georgia till the governor signs the 2 waiting gun bills...

(b) For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises and which derive less than 50 percent of their total annual gross food and beverage sales from the sale of prepared meals or food. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.

so this is anything a cop wants it to be...mainly if your a black man you could be arrested(the intent of the law) this is why GeorgiaCarry.org has worked so hard to get rid of this institutional form of racism
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Texas.
    Glock "Perfection" is not just a slogan; it is truth in advertising.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post

Sorry. I'm very, very suspicious of the story about not notifying a LEO when merely saying Hi or needing to. Official contact, yes.

I rarely see gun-buster signs except in medical facilities and BassPro Shops. And of course government facilities.

Wow hdawson, you may really want to polish-up on your own CCW laws up there in North Carolina before you get yourself arrested.

QUOTE:

"Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    The permit holder must carry the permit, together with valid identification, whenever carrying a concealed handgun, and is required to disclose to any law enforcement officer who addresses or approaches the permit holder that he or she is a permit holder and is carrying a concealed handgun".

And as to you not seeing the Raleigh No-Carry signs in 1996: were you actually living in Raleigh in 1996 when the NC CCW law there was brand new, as I was? If you were, and you missed all the "No Guns" signs posted, then I can't help you there...

-Bill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I don't know which states fit this, but I'd have to say the most restrictive shall issue states would be ones that have these things on their books.

No OC
    Gun buster signs that you have to obey
    Can't keep a gun in your car at work
    Duty to retreat
    Only carry the gun(s) listed on permit
    No carry in school zones
    No carry on college campus
    No carry in parks
    No carry in city bldg.
    No carry in bars/restaurants that serve alcohol
    I think this is a pretty good list but I would add any state that does not have state wide preemption, a Castle Doctrine or any state with a Castle Doctrine with restrictions. I would also look at restrictions of other weapons such as knives, crossbows, etc.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I think this is a pretty good list but I would add any state that does not have state wide preemption, a Castle Doctrine or any state with a Castle Doctrine with restrictions. I would also look at restrictions of other weapons such as knives, crossbows, etc.
    Great additions, I'll add them to the list.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746
    Me thinks : Arizona is will be one of the 3 least restrictive states, along with their Alaska and Vermont club members.
    Vermont is incredibly restrictive: you can't carry outside the state.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Ohio

Duty to retreat if not in home or car.
    Restrictions on how (method) you carry your handgun(s) in your car.
    No restaurant or bar carry.
    Duty to inform LEO and promptly. No legal definition of prompt. 50 seconds was to long and went to court in one case.
    No public building carry where employees of state or local jurisdictional entities work.
    No campus carry.
    No school carry including off campus activities. Eating at Mcd's and a school bus rolls in your screwed.
    No mental facility carry.
    Posted businesses carry a felony charge if you ignore a sign.
    No coverage by CHL on long guns, knives or other defensive weapons.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post

I'd like to know more about this as well. How would the LEO know that they were armed. They aren't legally allowed to just walk up and hassle you. That leads to large sums of money being given out by the city, county, or state.

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    Wow hdawson, you may really want to polish-up on your own CCW laws up there in North Carolina before you get yourself arrested.

QUOTE:

"Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    The permit holder must carry the permit, together with valid identification, whenever carrying a concealed handgun, and is required to disclose to any law enforcement officer who addresses or approaches the permit holder that he or she is a permit holder and is carrying a concealed handgun".

And as to you not seeing the Raleigh No-Carry signs in 1996: were you actually living in Raleigh in 1996 when the NC CCW law there was brand new, as I was? If you were, and you missed all the "No Guns" signs posted, then I can't help you there...

-Bill
    Addresses and Approaches sounds like legal speak for "lawful contact" meaning if they are questioning you about an event, stopped you for a traffic violation, or DUI checkpoint etc.

What you're saying is the same thing people are saying about the AZ immigration law. That is to say "they will just hassle people who fit one description or another". That's untrue, and a good lawyer would hit payday on it were this to happen.

Again I ask, if you're concealed how do they know? Also if they're just passing by are you going to flag them down to show them your permit? I'm thinking no...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links