Kroger now banning CCW !UPDATE SEE POST 113!

This is a discussion on Kroger now banning CCW !UPDATE SEE POST 113! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sigh, KEEP calling and emailing they still are not getting it. Sorry for the premature victory call....

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kroger now banning CCW !UPDATE SEE POST 113!

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Sigh,
    KEEP calling and emailing they still are not getting it. Sorry for the premature victory call.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Follow-up sent

My message:

As a 123 card customer and a senior I spend between $100 to $150 a week in Kroger (after discounts) and put $2000 - $3000 a month on the 123 card.

I will stop shopping at all your stores (except for items I cannot find locally elsewhere) and change my primary credit card, if the problem with you posting stores as "gun free" isn't reversed.

Even with the card & discount the savings is not much more than Wal-Mart and/or other stores that offer senior discounts.

I strongly suggest you allow local law to be followed as to carry of firearms.

I continue to be concerned as you have not replied to my earlier message.

Also, I understand that you are saying that there is a prohibition on carry in stores that have a D license to sell alcohol. As I understand it, that simply isn't true. The D6 and D8 which you have allows us to carry if we are not tasting wine.

See:

>>
    2923.121 Possession of firearm in liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions.

(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

(B)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and who possesses the firearm in a retail store with D-6 and D-8 permits issued for that store under sections 4303.182 and 4303.184 of the Revised Code or a D-8 permit issued for that store under section 4303.184 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.
    <<

Please explain!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Dear Mr Benson,
    Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. In regards to your concern, This change in policy is for the CINCINNATI division only. I have attached the policy below. I have also sent on your concerns for review. Thank you again and if I can be of further assistance please let me know.

The Cincinnati policy is as states:
    According to Loss Prevention, a concealed weapon cannot be carried into a store with a Class D Liquor license and a sign must be posted to that effect.

At stores that do not have a Class D Liquor license, concealed weapons may be carried. Signs are not posted in stores that do not have liquor licenses. If someone spots someone carrying a weapon into the store that is visible, however, that person can be asked to leave the premises.

This is what they sent back to me.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    What's Kroger?
    A chain, and parent company of other chains such as Fred Meyer.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    Sigh,

They are putting out that there is a prohibition on CC in stores that have a D license to sell alcohol and that simply isn't true. The D6 and D8 they have allows us to carry if we are not tasting wine. Keep calling them folks. Sorry for the premature celebration.

2923.121 Possession of firearm in liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions.

(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

>snip>
    (e) Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and who possesses the firearm in a retail store with D-6 and D-8 permits issued for that store under sections 4303.182 and 4303.184 of the Revised Code or a D-8 permit issued for that store under section 4303.184 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.
    Sounds like you can't open carry in a Krogers store if the manager is "taking a nip" from hs flask. Maybe they should be more worried about the managment than the licensed gun owners.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I just got my reply from Krogers and was informed that this policy applied to Cincinnati stores ONLY?
    For now. Who knows if this spreads. But I wouldn't say "it doesn't apply to me" and walk away from the issue. When or if something similar happens to your area, wouldn't you want your fellow pro-2A brethren to have your back?

Look at Same-Sex Marriage activists, Civil rights activists, Anti-2A activists, Environmental activists, etc etc. They don't stop supporting each other because something doesn't affect them.

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Sigh, here we go again

Dear Sir,

There is some clarification that we are trying to distribute concerning the Concealed Weapon policy. Concealed weapons are not allowed in establishments with Class D Liquor licenses that serve alcohol. Those store should have that posted. Other stores that do not serve alcohol will allow concealed weapons to be carried. Signs should not be posted at those establishments. Weapons that are not clearly concealed and are brought to a stores notice, the carrier of the firearm can be asked to leave the premises.

Timothy Titus
    Kroger Customer Relations

Dear Mr. Titus,

It seems there has been an error in interpretation by your compliance department of section 2923.121 of the ORC in regards to prohibition of licensed concealed carry in class D establishments .

The law reads as follows:

So as you can clearly see, someone in compliance has put you in an untenable position with regards to the actual law.

I am certain this misunderstanding and unfortunate protest resulting from a flawed interpretation of the law by Kroger can be worked out.

Until this issue is resolved Im sure the protest will continue.

I am available to discuss it further at any time. Please feel free to call me and Im sure we can get past this unfortunate trouble....

Sincerely
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Update : Response To E-mail

For what it's worth, they did indeed answer my e-mail. We will see what will happen.

Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us regarding your concern of the conceal and carry policy. I have forwarded your concern to our Division for review.

Thank you again for contacting us. Please let me know If I could be of further assistance.
    Sincerely,

Tanika Lewis
    Consumer Affairs

Reference: 8979226

CUSTOMER COMMENTS:
    It has come to my attention via other sources that Kroger corporate policy restricts law abiding citizens who have a permit from carrying a concealed handgun when shopping in your stores. With respect to the wishes of corporate, me and many of my carrying collegues may not frequent your stores and purchace goods with our money. We feel that it is our right to carry a handgun for personal protection anyhwere it is legal to do so with our permit. However, your policy tends to place us in the category of criminals and we most certainly are not. All persons who have a Concealed Permit have taken time, money and endured the background checks from Law Enforcement to get such a permit. We doubt the criminal element would go through what we have and walk into your stores in blantant disreguard to your policy. It seems you want their business more than ours. It is my sincere hope that Kroger changes their policy on folks like us and allow those who can lawfully do so, carry their weapons and permit when buying products and services at your stores
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Same answer for my email as well. I have replied with the correct statute listed and stated that their policy is based on false interpretation. Shall post answer if it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroger
    Dear Mr. Walden:

Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. In regards to your concern, This change in policy is for the CINCINNATI division only. I have attached the policy below. I have also sent on your concerns for review. Thank you again and if I can be of further assistance please let me know.

According to Loss Prevention, a concealed weapon cannot be carried into a store with a Class D Liquor license and a sign must be posted to that effect.

At stores that do not have a Class D Liquor license, concealed weapons may be carried. Signs are not posted in stores that do not have liquor licenses. If someone spots someone carrying a weapon into the store that is visible, however, that person can be asked to leave the premises.

Sincerely,

Amber Sublett
    Consumer Affairs

Reference: 8978667
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    wait where are the krogers with a bar? My local kroger doesn't have a bar.... salad bar maybe...

[/sarcasm]
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    For now. Who knows if this spreads. But I wouldn't say "it doesn't apply to me" and walk away from the issue. When or if something similar happens to your area, wouldn't you want your fellow pro-2A brethren to have your back?

Look at Same-Sex Marriage activists, Civil rights activists, Anti-2A activists, Environmental activists, etc etc. They don't stop supporting each other because something doesn't affect them.
    I didn't say that it doesn't affect me. I also didn't say I was walking away from the issue.

I live about 25 miles away from Krogers H.Q. so I'm pretty damn concerned about this.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I didn't say that it doesn't affect me. I also didn't say I was walking away from the issue.

I live about 25 miles away from Krogers H.Q. so I'm pretty damn concerned about this.
    Ahh, my apologies. I didn't mean to infer that you thought that. The first two sentences was directed at your question. The rest of it was more of a general statement to those who might be thinking along those lines. Again, I apologize.

Got my reply this morning. Goes as follows:

Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. In regards to your concern, This change
    in policy is for the CINCINNATI division only. I have attached the policy below.
    I have also sent on your concerns for review. Thank you again and if I can be
    of further assistance please let me know.

According to Loss Prevention, a concealed weapon cannot be carried into a store
    with a Class D Liquor license and a sign must be posted to that effect.

At stores that do not have a Class D Liquor license, concealed weapons may be
    carried. Signs are not posted in stores that do not have liquor licenses. If
    someone spots someone carrying a weapon into the store that is visible, however,
    that person can be asked to leave the premises.

Sincerely,

Amber
    Consumer Affairs

Should I respond with something to the effect of " If kroger doesnt want me in CINCINNATI, then they dont want me in Florida"? Looks like the same response Scubaduba got.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

email sent

Thanks for letting us know what's going on there. United we stand, divided we fall. Stay safe.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Mine sent:

To Whom It May Concern:

It has been brought to my attention that the Kroger Company does not have a "friendly" policy when it comes to customers who possess a Concealed Carry permit, covering the carry of a weapon for personal defense, in the state of Ohio, specifically the Cincinnatti area. Based on the information I've been given, it has been somewhat resolved so that customers with a Concealed Weapons permit can lawfully carry in stores that do not have a D License (specifically a D6 and D8 license which some stores have), but CANNOT carry in stores with a D6 and D8 license. I believe you are in grave error when making this determination. Please see the following:

>snip>

Based on your flawed interpretation of the law, it appears I shall have to cease doing business with Kroger stores in South Carolina and/or anywhere I might travel. I will be liquidating any and all investments I have in the Kroger Company and their affiliates/associates. I shall be passing the information along to all my friends and family as well as business associates as to your policies concerning concealed carry by law abiding citizens. If one is denied in Ohio, then other locations are sure to follow if this is allowed to become policy nationwide.

If and when your policy is corrected and Concealed Weapons permit holders are recognized as law abiding citizens with a right to carry within your stores, I will reevaluate my position and once again patronize Kroger stores.

Regards,

Pat N
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links