Interesting LEO Encounter at the Gun Show Today

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO Encounter at the Gun Show Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize for the long post in advance: While out on my Harley this morning, I see a sign "Gun Show Today". I'm thinking, "great, ...

Thread: Interesting LEO Encounter at the Gun Show Today

I apologize for the long post in advance:

While out on my Harley this morning, I see a sign "Gun Show Today". I'm thinking, "great, but I'm carrying and there is no way I'm going to leave my gun in my saddlebags". I decided to just check my weapon at the entrance, as In Georgia, there is always a LEO working the door and checking weapons.

I knew I would have to separate the mag from the pistol prior to checking the gun but was a little leery of pulling my gun out of my holster in the parking lot. There were people walking around everywhere as there was some kind of "Art Festival" at the park across the street. I had no choice. While timing the deed for when the foot traffic was down, I removed the gun, released the mag, emptied the chamber and put the mag in the saddlebag. No reaction, no interest, no notice from the people traffic. I return the gun to my IWB holster.

I walk up to the entrance table where the officer is sitting, I tell him I want to check my gun. I reach for my holster, remove the gun, open the slide and hand it to the LEO. He takes the gun and asks, "where's the magazine"? I tell him it's on the bike, he slides a plastic tie through the barrel and hands it back to me. I re-holster and walked away thinking "wow - he didn't even ask if I had a CCW", (GFL in Georgia).

I paid my entrance fee, found about 15 different firearms that I added to my wish list and headed for the exit.

I'm thinking - "man, I need to get this plastic tie off my weapon and I don't have my pocket knife with me"! I turn around and make for the entrance. The original LEO is sitting in the same spot I left him, but now there are two more cops standing to his rear shooting the breeze.

So now I'm thinking - 1) when I un-holster this weapon, these two officers standing here are going to freak or 2) one of the three are at least going to ask to see my GFL; which wouldn't be a problem, but I expected it!

I pulled the gun, laid it on the table, asked that the tie be removed, he obliged and I re-holster the gun and walked out!

Nothing, no questions, no reaction! I walked away very impressed that concealed carry, at least in these officer's jurisdiction, is a citizen's right and not a cause for great concern! I was also kind of surprised at the lack of reaction from the passersby's seeing (assuming anyone noticed) some dude on a motorcycle brandishing a weapon in public.

Question: Are we seeing a shift in public perception about concealed carry?

I realize that an officer working a gun show is going to be in a different mind set than while on patrol, but I thought for certain they would want to know if I were legally carrying or not!

Is there a general change in the LEO community regarding citizens gun rights?
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

I am betting on 2 things here. 1) the situation being at a gunshow etc had the LEO in a different mindset. 2) If you were carrying illegaly I doubt you would walk straight to an officer and hand him your gun and ask to check it. I am sure the Officer assumed the same.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Sometimes, if we don't live in the country or the hills or the mountains, we just wonder where common sense went, before so many of our fellow and female citizens became so civilized and wussyfied, and started throwing sensitive hissy fits because of what they heard from Doctor Phil or Oprah. In general, cops and soldiers have more common sense than most folks, especially those who can't handle or tolerate guns or take a joke.

You were at a gun show,people expect to see guns there that won't go off half cocked,I always walk up unholster my gun with barrel pointed down,hand it to the officer he takes it unloads it zip tie thru trigger guard across hammer(1911)he then keeps mag and bullet til I leave,I still have 2 spare mags on my belt and a knife just in case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by CenterOfMass View Post
    Question: Are we seeing a shift in public perception about concealed carry?

Is there a general change in the LEO community regarding citizens gun rights?
    Public perception...perhaps; LEO perseption...not as far as I am concerned. Any place other than that gun show & my money is on you having some "splainin to do"!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Last time at the gun show, I and 3 officers were talking about the best places on a motorcycle to conceal a gun. LOL.

They don't get alert around here at a gun show if you are open about the gun and handling it safely.

I think that we can have of this type of reaction if we remove ALL of the anti-gun politicians in November and replace ALL of them with Pro-Gun new representatives.

Do not let this opportunity to get rid of all of the career politicians with one fell swoop.

VOTE IN NOVEMBER!!

VIP Member
    I think it depends on where your located. Virginia has been a Shall Issue state since 1995, and was a May Issue state for many years prior to that, along with being an OC state. I think the majority of LEO and people in general accept the fact and don't freak out. Remember, for every MWAG call, there were probably 2 dozen who saw it and said nothing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    The culture is definitely changing, and like others have said being at the gun show probably made a significant difference.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Probably after a thousand people entered before you, he was out of questions and surprise.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Probably after a thousand people entered before you, he was out of questions and surprise.
    OldVet, you said it before I could!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Sponsored Links