reciprocity

This is a discussion on reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am 19 and in Indiana I am old enough that I have my LTCH. I was wondering if i travel into a state that ...

Thread: reciprocity

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

reciprocity

I am 19 and in Indiana I am old enough that I have my LTCH. I was wondering if i travel into a state that recognizes my permit, will they recognize it even if their laws say 21 to have a permit, but i have a carry permit from my home state?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I don't know for sure but I'd say "you must follow all the applicable laws in the state you visit."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I'd say no, but a number of states do allow OC at age 18. Remember a lot of states also require a valid permit for vehicle travel as well, which you would not have in most other states.

handgunlaw.us has all that info.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I don't know for sure but I'd say "you must follow all the applicable laws in the state you visit."
    Ergo if you must be 21 to possess/carry said handgun outside of a shooting range or competition...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Ergo if you must be 21 to possess/carry said handgun outside of a shooting range or competition...
    Right, but again I don't know whether or not reciprocity applies to the age limit as well. I'd wager on the no side of things due to caution.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Must obey the laws & regs of the state in which you are visiting.

I'd say reciprocity only extends as far as the law of the host state allows. READ - We will honor your states CC permit and allow you to carry in our state, but only within the confines of the laws we have.

If in doubt, contact a sheriffs office of a neighboring / reciprocity state and ask.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I am 19 and in Indiana I am old enough that I have my LTCH. I was wondering if i travel into a state that recognizes my permit, will they recognize it even if their laws say 21 to have a permit, but i have a carry permit from my home state?
    You should verify the Law in any state you intend to carry or posess your handgun. Here is one good source.....

Handgunlaw.us

In my state ( PA ) 18 is legal age to posess.
    PA and Indiana also have Reciprocity.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

You'd have to check the reciprocity agreements of each state you plan to visit. There are some states that full reciprocity...which means the age of the permit holder does not matter. There are a few states that have conditional reciprocity meaning they'll honor a permit from State X if holder is over Y years of age.

For example...PA there is full reciprocity with IN ...there are no restrictions listed on the PA AG website. But in PA you must be 21 to apply for LTCF.

Keep in mind a common course of action here in Missouri is getting a non-resident FLA permit at 21 and using the reciprocity to carry in Missouri, which has an age limit of 23... But I am not sure if that is the reciprocity speaking or the state.

Links