Pulled Over While carrying By J. Peters

This is a discussion on Pulled Over While carrying By J. Peters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not getting in the debate this time. I really liked point 6 because I think it's 100% true never tell a cop "I have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulled Over While carrying By J. Peters

I'm not getting in the debate this time.

I really liked point 6 because I think it's 100% true never tell a cop "I have a gun"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    As a LEO and a concealed weapons permit holder and Florida resident I feel that the information and advice given by Officer Peters is excellent. Thanks Treo for taking the time to post it. Notification in Florida is not required but from my viewpoint very appreciated. It is not on the Florida Drivers License so if there is no reason to search the driver, his passengers or the vehicle I would never know if there was a weapon in the car or on the person. That said if I run your DL and it comes back that you have a minor warrant for traffic and I must place you under arrest and now find out that you have a weapon in your vehicle or on your person I would look at you in a different light. No violation of the law in Florida was committed by you for not telling me. That is just me. If I am stopped by law-enforcement in a DUI Checkpoint ,ect.or by Florida Wildlife on the water when I am fishing to check my catch the first thing I let them know is there is a firearm in the vehicle or on the boat and I am a law enforcement officer. I do this out of respect and courtesy. I appreciate it and so do other officers. This is just my personal feelings.
    Old School, you have already answered on my behalf, thank you!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    I'm not getting in the debate this time.

You scared or what?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Wow Treo, I am surprised you posted this with how strongly you dislike informing. It is a well written article for sure.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

You scared or what?

No, but (IMO) for me to post this article and then argue against one of his points would be stirring the pot

Originally posted by MinistrMalic Wow Treo, I am surprised you posted this with how strongly you dislike informing. It is a well written article for sure.
    It's a well written article that I have one disagreement W/ it would be intelectually dishonest of me not to post it.

Good post, I personally have no problem with informing a officer that I'm carrying. They have hard job to do, I try to make it as easy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I got this in an email, and I don't see anywhere where it's copyrighted so I think it's OK to post ( If not, Mods feel free to delete)

Obvioulsy I don't agree W/ his stand on informing but the article is (IMO) very well written and has some good, usefull information in it
    You may not agree, but being in Michigan, I am required to inform, and found the article very informative. I HOPE I do remember to say "I have a PERMIT for a concealed pistol" if I ever do get stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    You may not agree, but being in Michigan, I am required to inform, and found the article very informative. I HOPE I do remember to say "I have a PERMIT for a concealed pistol" if I ever do get stopped.
    The only time I've ever informed (after being asked "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?".) I didn't say anything. I simply handed the Officer my permit he figured it out pretty quick. He was pretty jumpy anyway and the last thing I wanted him to hear was the word "gun" in anyform coming from me

VIP Member
    Good common sense advice as I have stated before why make a molehill into a mountain. We are not commiting any crime by carrying legally concealed and Treo good post thanks for sharing.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Nice right up, thanks for sharing.

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing. As a former LEO I have mixed views on disclosure so for me, it would depend on the condition or reason I was contacted. It doesn’t take but a few seconds to determine if the LEO is a decent person, or just another jerk with a chip on his/her shoulder.
    Last edited by Saber; May 17th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Officer Peters needs to be teaching classes to other officers, and his advice to licensees is virtually identical to what I tell my cHL students. Here in TX, we recently did away with the penalty for not showing a CHL during a traffic stop, since it was silly, in light of having legalized vehicular carry for non-licensees. However, there is still an "unpenalized mandate" to display the permit in the CHL statute. Since I don't speed much anymore, I don't get stopped much.

The few times I have been stopped since I got a CHL have been utterly uneventful. One DPS Trooper asked me if I was actually carrying, and where, and that was it. Two troopers didn't even ask, and only smiled. A Lubbock city cop asked where I was carrying, then proceeded to brag endlessly about his cool, new laser radar and how well it works. I had to explain that while his laer was all quite interesting, I needed to get to work, which was why I was speeding anyway! A small-town cop was the last to stop me, when I was on the way to a hearing, and said, "You don't actually have any weapons in your vehicle, do you?" (Range session the day before-I think I had 15-17 guns in the pickup.) I said, "Yes, right here on my hip, but I promise not to carry it into the courthouse." He let me off with a warning, as have most of the others. However, I do hear the occasional, unfortunate story about anal orifice officers who unnecessarily harass CHL-holders.

What Officer Peters did not mention was that good officers who live through long careers should, and usually do, assume that everyone they stop is armed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links