Notes on air travel and travel to different states

This is a discussion on Notes on air travel and travel to different states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently carried my pistol by air and in a state with reciprocity to one of my permits (Minnesota). The air travel for the pistol ...

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Notes on air travel and travel to different states

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member
    Array cammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273

    Notes on air travel and travel to different states

    I recently carried my pistol by air and in a state with reciprocity to one of my permits (Minnesota).

    The air travel for the pistol went fine, no issues. I elected to not carry ammo, just to simplify things (or so I thought). When I went to buy ammo, I learned that hollow points are not available - or easy to get anyways. So, I had to use FMJ.

    I was going to just buy ammo there and leave it for my next trip, as I travel there frequently. Next time I will BYOA, in exactly the kind I like. As it turned out, carrying the ammo in a factory box would have been super easy.

    Hope this helps somebody else.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211
    I fly southwest and keep my loaded magazines in the same locked pistol case as my G19 with no problems at all. Just fill out the card that the ticket agent tapes to the pistol case and I am good to go.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  4. #3
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I fly southwest and keep my loaded magazines in the same locked pistol case as my G19 with no problems at all. Just fill out the card that the ticket agent tapes to the pistol case and I am good to go.
    Some airlines (can't recall exactly, but I think Delta is one) won't allow loaded magazines, even thought the TSA language allows it.

    Southwest is one of the gun-friendliest air carriers in business.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,074
    Good stuff to consider. I'm moving to MD in a couple weeks and transporting a revolver with me. Definitely going to pack some ammo in the suitcase with it.

  6. #5
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,018
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Good stuff to consider. I'm moving to MD in a couple weeks and transporting a revolver with me. Definitely going to pack some ammo in the suitcase with it.
    Read what the TSA says about transporting firearms and ammo, and also what your particular carrier's rules are. If you're taking a wheelgun, my strong suggestion is to bring your ammo in a factory box.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Some airlines (can't recall exactly, but I think Delta is one) won't allow loaded magazines, even thought the TSA language allows it.

    Southwest is one of the gun-friendliest air carriers in business.
    With United, depends on the counter agent. If they don't allow it and you have no spare ammo boxes, your ammo is not going with you. Not worth it IMO.Fly with ammo in factory boxes for a hassle free flight.

    Since you encounter the airline rep before you get to TSA, why even chance it?

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Good stuff to consider. I'm moving to MD in a couple weeks and transporting a revolver with me. Definitely going to pack some ammo in the suitcase with it.
    Move to VA if you can. MD is bad for gun owners. I've lived here all my life

    read MD statute 4-203 so you don't get in trouble

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Read what the TSA says about transporting firearms and ammo, and also what your particular carrier's rules are. If you're taking a wheelgun, my strong suggestion is to bring your ammo in a factory box.
    Oh definitely. My plan is to put the revolver in my Gunvault pistol safe, with the ammo in the factory boxes separate from the pistol box entirely. I've read up on the TSA rules, I'll print them out before I go to the airport too. Thanks for the heads-up!

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Move to VA if you can. MD is bad for gun owners. I've lived here all my life

    read MD statute 4-203 so you don't get in trouble
    Oh I would love to move to VA. Unfortunately, I have to go where the Air Force sends me, so MD it is. I contemplated living across the border, but the wife and kids would not appreciate a 1.5 to 2 hour commute (one way) every day, so no dice there. Thanks for the link to the statute, I really appreciate it. I've researched the laws there as best I can; my understanding is that if you don't want to carry a gun or stop at a Taco Bell on your way to or from the range or gunsmith, it isn't too bad. Basically the same as HI, where I am now. I really wish I could carry though, would be nice...

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,033
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Oh I would love to move to VA. Unfortunately, I have to go where the Air Force sends me, so MD it is. I contemplated living across the border, but the wife and kids would not appreciate a 1.5 to 2 hour commute (one way) every day, so no dice there. Thanks for the link to the statute, I really appreciate it. I've researched the laws there as best I can; my understanding is that if you don't want to carry a gun or stop at a Taco Bell on your way to or from the range or gunsmith, it isn't too bad. Basically the same as HI, where I am now. I really wish I could carry though, would be nice...
    I did the commute between Fredericksburg, VA and Ft Meade for 3 years...because I had the freedom to exercise my rights. PM if you like for details.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  12. #11
    Member Array 120mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    448
    Man, I miss the good old days.

    Stewardess: "Sir, may I check your gun for you up front?"

    Me: "Sure"

    Stewardess: "Thank you, sir; I'll get it back to you after we land"

    Or even better, when flying Lufthansa from Nuernberg to Munich:

    Me: "I'll be taking my pistol with me on this flight"

    Ticket agent: "May I see your paperwork?"

    Me: "Sure" [hands over gun license]

    Ticket agent: "Very good, your flight leaves at xxxx"

    Me: "Do I need to check my pistol?"

    Ticket agent: "No, just carry it on."

    Me: "Sweet."

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Man, I miss the good old days.

    Stewardess: "Sir, may I check your gun for you up front?"

    Me: "Sure"

    Stewardess: "Thank you, sir; I'll get it back to you after we land"

    Or even better, when flying Lufthansa from Nuernberg to Munich:

    Me: "I'll be taking my pistol with me on this flight"

    Ticket agent: "May I see your paperwork?"

    Me: "Sure" [hands over gun license]

    Ticket agent: "Very good, your flight leaves at xxxx"

    Me: "Do I need to check my pistol?"

    Ticket agent: "No, just carry it on."

    Me: "Sweet."
    Sounds like such a pipe-dream these days....

  14. #13
    Member Array 120mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Sounds like such a pipe-dream these days....
    I've had several people under the age of 30 call b.s. on that.

    It's hard to imagine there once was a day when you could do that.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. CHL Travel
    By rks2 in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
  2. Western States Travel
    By past60 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
  3. Guns in Parks: The Hoplophobes’ Travel Guide to the United States
    By Blackeagle in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: May 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
  4. NRA Travel
    By mrreynolds in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
  5. Florida Non Reciprocity States CCW travel
    By bear claw in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Search tags for this page

air travel concealed carry

,
air travel with a concealed carry permit
,
air travel with ccw
,

air travel with concealed carry

,
airtravel to wa without ccw
,
can you air travel with ccw permit
,
ccw permits and air travel
,
ccw traveling by air to virginia
,

concealed carry air travel

,
concealed carry airline travel
,
concealed carry travel between states flights
,
how to air travel with a concealed carry weapon
Click on a term to search for related topics.