Tired of hearing: “why do you have to carry that”

This is a discussion on Tired of hearing: “why do you have to carry that” within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I started carrying last month, only a few people that have been in my car have seen my weapon, I try to be as ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tired of hearing: “why do you have to carry that”

Since I started carrying last month, only a few people that have been in my car have seen my weapon, I try to be as discrete as possible, but at some point I have to remove my gun to enter certain places, I always get: “why do you have to carry that” they say that if somebody attacks/robs/car jacks them that they will just “give them what they want”
    I try to explain my best, about personal protection, a lot of people just don’t understand. Just wait till they have a knife to their throat, that happened to me a few years ago, I was in a dark parking lot in my truck, and this guy came out of nowhere and put a knife to my throat, demanded that I get out of the truck, I said take it easy, he stepped back so I could open the door and in half a second he was looking at hollow points down the barrel of my Ruger GP100 stainless 357. MAG, the guy was not disguised at all so I think he would have just killed me that night. Since that night I have carried as much as possible, I only had the gun in the truck because I had been out shooting in the desert that day. Sometimes it takes a good scare like that to convince people to carry, half of the people in my CCW class where there due to a recent attack or home invasion.

Assistant Administrator
    “give them what they want”
    This has to be one of the most over-used phrases by those who seem to ask the question ''why do you carry that (thing!)? They would (mostly) think differently if faced with lethal force. Add to that the lack of any guarantee whatsoever, that the perp' will not shoot/stab - or otherwise end your life.

Another popular one is given by some police chiefs - ''Don't take the law into your own hands'' - that's dumb when on consideration it can be realized that no response however fast - can arrive in time to prevent harm to self. By defending oneself it has nothing to do with taking the law into our own hands - it is an innate right and in and of itself legal when faced with a lethal threat.

Some folks tho will never get it. I answer usually something along the lines of - ''I take personal responsibility for the safety and protection of me and mine'' - and add usually the rider, that I hope to never use it in anger. I have mentioned before - but an old buddy from way back - insists that me carrying is -''only asking for trouble''.

Oh well - some get it - some most surely do not.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

IT surely is a responsibility factor.
    police, and i mean no disresoect to the field, can't be everywhere and are normally only seen at the "take the report" stage of events. sometimes it werks out that they are there at the exact moment to help you but more than likely not and will only take yer report, notify yer next of kin, and/or throw kitty litter down where required.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    All kinds of responses come to mind:

Because self defense is an innate right of every living being.

Because I can.

Because the cops won't be here in time and don't have any responsibility to stop crime.

Because you won't.

Because I have a wife and child that I will not leave to the gentle mercies of some lowlife scumbag.

Because it is my right as an American citizen.

Now if you are a smart-***** like me:

Because the voices tell me to.

As a member of the Church Of All Worlds, it is required by my religion.

I want to be prepared when the UN troops invade in Black Helicopters.

VIP Member
    Thankfully, I don't get that statement said to me since only my immediate family and fellow LEOs know that I carry a weapon; but I'm sure it gets old fast.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I don't get that much but it's really annoying when someone does ask (and I shouldn't let it annoy me). I always use AutoFan's comment "because I can" and then don't say anything else at all.
    What I probably should do is ask them why they don't, but then I'd probably have to listen to some tirade about the meek and sheep and then I'd just hear baaa, baaaa, baaaa.

You carry because you have every right to self defense... That is so very basic!

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

I rarely encounter it but when I do I answer with a question:
    "Don't YOU think YOUR life is worth defending?"
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Got this off another forum and thought it was good enough to save.

WHY I OWN GUNS

1 - "Go home and watch the 11pm news for a week and then we'll talk about why I own guns."

2 - "It is a proven fact that when disaster strikes, lawlessness inevitably follows. Look at what is happening in New Orleans right now - that's why I own guns."

3 - "Lawful gun owners in the U.S. use their guns over two million times each year to save themselves and others from robbery, rape, murder and maiming. I own guns because like them, I refuse to become a victim of violent crime."

4 - "Guns save lives, plain and simple. That's why I own them."

5 - "Over 150 million disarmed citizens were killed by government bureaucrats during the 20th century; that's why I own guns."

6 - "Guns in the hands of lawful citizens prevent crime. The cities and states in America with the most repressive antigun laws also have the highest crime rates; that's why I own guns."

7 - "I own guns because when it comes right down to it, we are on our own as far as our personal safety is concerned."

8 - "I own guns because I have a moral obligation to protect my family."

9 - "I own guns because you never know when you will be picked as the target of a violent criminal. I intend to be ready to protect myself if today is the day."

10 - I own guns because when you call 911 for police help in an emergency, you get put on hold."

11 - "I own guns because the Supreme Court has ruled that we have no right to police protection - we are on our own. That's why I own guns.
    BamBam623 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN
    I always get: “why do you have to carry that” they say that if somebody attacks/robs/car jacks them that they will just “give them what they want”
    I try to explain my best, about personal protection, a lot of people just don’t understand. Just wait till they have a knife to their throat, ...
    (I'll be the turd in the punch bowel on this one.)

The reality of CCW is that statistically speaking, no one who avoids dark alleys at night in bad neighborhoods needs to CCW.

If you go to bed a 10PM, don't take shortcuts down bad alleys and live in a decent neighborhood, the chances are (I'm guessing) 1:1000 that you'll ever need a gun for self-defense in your lifetime. Thus, for those people, it is not a bad choice to go through their sheltered lives naked.

The more you tempt fate (and I get the feeling from some of you that that's just what you're doing--looking for an oportunity to defend yourself) the lower those odds go. Frequent bars off the docks, leave at 2AM, take shortcuts through bad alleys, etc., etc., and you'll eventually find what you're looking for--a confrontation with a BG with only a knife.

(PS. The answer to the "statistically speaking" proviso is NOT "But what if that 0.1% is YOU--that's 100% for you.)

One word....

ZOMBIES!

Or my all time favorite..Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tholzel
    The more you tempt fate (and I get the feeling from some of you that that's just what you're doing--looking for an oportunity to defend yourself) the lower those odds go. Frequent bars off the docks, leave at 2AM, take shortcuts through bad alleys, etc., etc., and you'll eventually find what you're looking for--a confrontation with a BG with only a knife.

Dang...I can only speak for myself, but when I have a gun, I am even more aware of my surroundings/environment, and more likely to avoid danger areas.

BamBam623 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

" If you go to bed a 10PM, don't take shortcuts down bad alleys and live in a decent neighborhood, the chances are (I'm guessing) 1:1000that you'll ever need a gun for self-defense in your lifetime. Thus, for those people, it is not a bad choice to go through their sheltered lives naked."

Probably true enough , unfortunately I have already used up
    my chances.

I've been threatened with knives and guns , and lost a loved one
    to violence.

Never Again.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member

Here is some of the reasons I've heard....

"Sh-h-h-h. Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits."

"My grandfather lived to be 103 years old."
    They'll most likely come back with, "oh and I suppose he carried a gun to."
    To which you reply, "No, he knew how to mind his own business."

"Because I have more of a chance of facing a criminal in my daily life then my home catching on fire and yet I carry fire insurance, have fire extinguishers, and bought a place that is close to a fire department."

"Why do you carry a jack/spare tire, flash light, jumper cables in your car/truck? Because you might need it?"

"Because my life is too valuable to me and my family to leave in the hands of an armed thug."

"Because I'd rather have a gun (or "defensive tool" if you think they're afraid of the "g" word) in my hand than a 911 operator on the phone."

"Why are you carrying a gun?" respond "Why aren't you? Don't you care about your family as much as I do?"

"If you don't believe in guns then I promise not to use mine to protect you or your family OK?"

"Why do you wear a seatbelt? Are you planning on getting in a wreck?"

"I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6."

"Because there are people out there that insist on making it necessary."

"In case I have to shoot someone."

"Because I'm too old and fat now to fight or run!"

"because criminals usually target people who don't!"

"In case I have to shoot someone."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Those that ask this question will probably never understand why, anyway.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links