Contemplating a NY move: information please

This is a discussion on Contemplating a NY move: information please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just got back from a trip to upstate New York to visit my wife's family. It has been a dream of hers since ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a NY move: information please

Well I just got back from a trip to upstate New York to visit my wife's family. It has been a dream of hers since we started dating to move to NYC and give her chances at Broadway a shot. Before we got engaged, I told her that we could live there for a year since she had a chance to go, and decided to stay here in Florida with me while I finished school. I'm now looking at Law Schools (I take my LSAT in December), and I know that NY has some GREAT schools.

While talking to some of her family members, and expressing my issues with firearms, wanting to conceal carry, and overall acceptance issues that I am worried about up there.....I was told that there is a county or city called Westchester (?) just north of NYC and they issue concealed weapons permits. We were also looking around Albany, Rochester and Syracuse, but she would like to be closer to the city.

Without doing a whole lot of research, I was wondering if you could chime in and tell me pro's and con's of trying to obtain a CWP in the state of NY. I don't know much about the area up there. I have a CWP here in the State of FL, but it is not accepted in NY. So please, what would it take to get one up there? What are the differences in carry laws between FL, and NY? Is it like Fl, can I just walk in to a gun shop and leave with a pistol bc I am licensed? What about fees? Is there anywhere else around the city of Manhattan where concealed carry is legal and would be a good place to live reasonably for a law student and his new bride?

Thank you so much.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Nope. If you are anywhere near the city its expensive. Westchester is the county, and is very expensive. There are some less expensive areas of Westchester Co., but trust me, you dont want to live there. I would look in Putnam or Dutchess Counties. (Putnam is above Westchester, and Dutchess is above Putnam). There are some decent places to live in Putnam and its not too far from the city. I dont know about CC laws though. I know you can carry, but I dont know the specifics. Good luck

Well, I know it is not necessarily what you're asking, but if you're going to NY you'd better not bring that RRA AR-15 you list in your signature, as it is banned there. You'll need to obtain a pistol permit to have the pistols at all, and when you fill it out it should have the option of CCW on it. The pro on this is that it should be a lifetime permit. The flip side is that, depending on what county you're in, it could take up to a year or longer to get the permit. Until then, those pistols of yours cannot be in your possession in that state. I don't know about the county you're talking about in particular though.

Westchester is a county. It is right north of the city and is a varied area. It is mainly suburban with some other stuff mixed in. on the very southern end it is very urban. As far as carry permits there I do not know much. But I do know that if you do get a permit there it is not valid in NYC. However the fees are a lot lower then in NYC. Permits do exist in NYC, never applied, donít own firearms anymore. As far as commuting into the city from Westchester it depends where you are. The metro north if you live by it makes commuting easy, tickets are cheaper if bought in bulk, look online at the website. Also on the southern end the subway and busses are a help. One issue in Westchester can be the price of homes, I am not in the market but Westchester is something like the 7th wealthiest county in the US. so a lot of property might be out of the price range you imagian. Good luck to you and to your bride break a leg.

I live in Florida and NY part of the year. The differences between states can be very different...but....it depends where in NY you choose to live. New York City is out as far as carry permits. They are almost impossible to get and all other permits issued in NY State are invalid in New York City. In other parts of the State the permits are issued county by county, with each having it's own set of rules. Westchester is one of the most restrictive. The application is long and it requires three or four notarized references. It takes months to get it submitted (by appointment only) and then it's 4-6 months to get a permit. When you do, it will be "Target Only" which means you are only allowed to carry to and from the range. Moving away from Westchester County, you enter Putnam County. Restricted for 1 year but you can petition for full carry after that. You may or may not get it. The best county to try is Dutchess County (Poughkeepsie area). They don't issue restricted permits, but may have minimum residency requirements before you can apply. You'd probably be better off in Connecticut, but the closer you are to NY the more $$$ it will be to live. I forgot to mention the addition of guns to the permit. The Westchester permit is the one I'm most familiar with. You must list all your guns by serial number on the permit. When you want a new gun, you buy and pay for it and the FFL dealer holds it for you. He issues you a purchase coupon and you take it to the County Clerks office. Then you wait 2-4 weeks for a judge to sign off on it. Then they mail you the revised permit (and purchase coupon) back and you take same back to the FFL dealer to pick up your new firearm. Sounds like fun ...huh? Welcome to the Peoples Republic of NY.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    The pro on this is that it should be a lifetime permit.
    Should and is are too, different things. Maybe in some counties up north that is true but not in any southern counties I know.

I just moved from northern Westchester county and would definitely look into putnam or rockland instead (strictly from a cc standpoint). Although technically it is possible to get a ccp in Westchester, It is next to impossible to get a unresticted permit and the laws are getting even tighter. Very few cc permits are issued in Westchester and you have to have a pretty darn good reason to have a ccp as well (self defense is apparently not a good enough reason...). In any case, good luck and let me know if you have any additional questions (I just went through the process a year ago...)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Should and is are too, different things. Maybe in some counties up north that is true but not in any southern counties I know.
    Yeah unfortunately I suspected that might be the case, which is why I caveated it. I do hope NY turns around, I grew up in Rochester and I would love to move back someday to be near the rest of the family, but I just can't stand the way that state is run. Real shame, it is beautiful there and I like the people where I'm from. Oh well...

Look into Fairfield or even Litchfield Counties in CT. At least you can still get a CCW in CT without the judge-shopping and county-by-county patchwork of NY state. Metro North is the popular commuter path to NYC.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If you can deal with the commute, Move to PA and commute the hour and a half - 2 hours into manhatten. NYC is a NO CARRY OF ANY KIND zone and the county by county thing for NYS is a pain and a half. Just my 2 cents. PA isnt the BEST place in the world, but its better than NY or NJ as far as carry goes. Plus we are shall issue and open carry and have reciprocal agreements with many states.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

As has been said, Counties administrate the application process. The State Permit is almost always Carry. A county can put their own restrictions on the permits, as County Ordinances, not State Gun Law. If you break them you might lose your permit but would not be guilty of a felony.

What counties use restrictions and how strict they are is what you need to find out - as you are. Some counties have no restrictions, or some will remove them after a year with no problems on your record - (like my Western New York county, Erie).

So, keep collecting info. It' time-consuming and a long wait, but definitely possible to get unrestricted NY State permit (except NYC, which has few people carrying and their own Pistol Permits)

Cool

If it's any consolation, NYC is not in the top 50 Most Dangerous Cities of the US.

If it's any consolation, NYC is not in the top 50 Most Dangerous Cities of the US.
    At least as of a year or two ago, NYC was also the safest of the 10 major cities in US.

I'm in Monroe county (Rochester, NY). Monroe county almost always issues unrestricted CCW permits. It can take 6-8 months to get though. So, start the process as soon as you can. It's fairly simple, the delay is on their end.

I recommend this thread on ar15.com about permits by county.

NY Pistol Permit information by County - AR15.COM

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKnick View Post
    I just moved from northern Westchester county and would definitely look into putnam or rockland instead (strictly from a cc standpoint). Although technically it is possible to get a ccp in Westchester, It is next to impossible to get a unresticted permit and the laws are getting even tighter. Very few cc permits are issued in Westchester and you have to have a pretty darn good reason to have a ccp as well (self defense is apparently not a good enough reason...). In any case, good luck and let me know if you have any additional questions (I just went through the process a year ago...)
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Look into Fairfield or even Litchfield Counties in CT. At least you can still get a CCW in CT without the judge-shopping and county-by-county patchwork of NY state. Metro North is the popular commuter path to NYC.
    What these two fellas said. I live in Westchester and you need a damn good reason (or know somebody) to get an unrestricted permit.

If you want to stay in NY and close to the city Dutchess would probably be your best bet and easiest at getting an unrestricted permit. I'll have to double check Putnam's requirements.

Fairfield county in CT borders Westchester on the south and east sides and their permit process is a whole lot easier.

I work in Westchester and live on the border of Westchester and Fairfield so I know the area fairly well if you have any questions. I'm also in the middle of getting my NYS permit so I could answer any questions there as well.

edit: Oh the worst part about NY is that you can't own a handgun w/o a permit, so you'd need to establish residence first and then proceed with your permit process which will take anywhere typically 6-9 months. Technically it shouldn't take more than 6 months from the date your turn in your paperwork, but in counties like Westchester you need to make an appt for that and sometimes that's 2-3 months out, if not more. Also in Westchester (not sure about other counties) you need to provide references that have known you for a while that live in county, so unless you know people already here you might not be able to possess any handguns for a while. You'll also need to take a basic safety course for Westchester.

CT resident is an easier process. You do it through the town and they will issue you a permit (I believe temp) within 60 days and then you take that to the State Police barracks and they will give you your permanent permit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links