Another "got made" thread

This is a discussion on Another "got made" thread within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I know some people like to read these stories, others think they are stupid, but here goes; Two weeks ago my daughter (26 years ...

Thread: Another "got made" thread

Another "got made" thread

Ok, I know some people like to read these stories, others think they are stupid, but here goes;

Two weeks ago my daughter (26 years old) asked me to go with her to her lawyer’s office. She has issues with her ex-boyfriend regarding child support and custody/parenting time of the son they have. She also has major health issues caused by a heart tumor that caused her to have a stroke last year. The lawyer she was going to see was helping her regarding her health and disability.
    I picked her up in my truck. I was wearing my IWB holster, tucked with my snub nose 38 special.
    We went to the lawyer’s office, dropped off the paper work she needed to. Then she told me that she wanted to stop at the Friend of the Courts offices to file papers requesting a hearing about the child support and visitation issues. This is where the problem started. The Friend of the Courts is in the same building as the district courts. No Carry Zone, with sheriff deputies and metal detectors at the door. They also do not allow cameras, cell phones, or PDA’s in the building.
    We park and I ask my daughter if she needs me to go in with her. I was hoping she would just let me stay in the truck and wait for her. She says I should go in, so I tell her I have to leave my gun in the truck. She doesn’t know how often I carry. She didn’t seem to be surprised. I get out un-holster and lock the gun in gun safe in truck. I left the IWB holster on, realizing that I would have to either wait to get home to re-holster, or loosen belt in the parking lot to get the gun back in.
    We get into the building, empty or pockets, and she goes through the metal detector, no problem. I probably went through faster than I should have, and the alarm goes off. The deputy asks if I have a belt on. I say “yes” and he says “It’s probably the buckle, take the belt off.” As I’m doing so I realize that I will also have to remove the holster, as it clips to the belt. It also has a steel clip on it.
    I say to him, “The clip on this might also be the problem” and hand him the holster.
    He say’s “Yeah that might do it.” He didn’t seem too surprised, I went through the metal detector again, no alarm this time.
    When we left he seemed to give me a very close once over/dirty look. I don’t know if I should have told him about the holster before I actually produced it, or if I was just imagining the “look”.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    He's probably just irked that it's not a "no holster zone" and missed out on making a bust!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Yah, I'd be shrugging that off without further thought.

Man, I am blessed to be surrounded by LEO's that support an armed citizenry. That would have likely sparked a holster 'show & tell' at our local courthouse.

Maybe he was giving you the dirty look because he thought you were carrying the empty holster to make a point.

Either way what he think doesn't matter. You did what you had to do.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

The only interaction I have had with LEO's concerning CPL's was the actual gun review board for the county which has a Sheriff Deputy and State Police representative on it, and the two State Police Officers that handled the quailify shooting for the CPL. All seemed very happy to be able to help citizens get their CPL's. I don't know why I got the look, and maybe I just miss read his body language. Like I said when I handed him the holster he didn't seem to have any further concerns so maybe it was just my imagination.
    I think this was the same deputy that made me return to my truck to lock up my pen knife and PDA the last time I had to go the FOTC offices. I have been carrying that pen knife on my key ring for over twenty years and don't give it a second thought unless I have to have my keys scanned at a security check point. I have even flown with it in my pocket pre 911.
    When I asked him if I needed to remove it last time I went through the scanning area he said yes, but was totally polite, and of course I had no problem complying with the request. That same time I also had to make a second trip to lock up my PDA because I didn't realize it wasn't allowed. It's not a cell phone, and it does not have phone capabilities, but again, I didn't argue, just went back and locked it up.
    I doubt he remembered me from that time, since it was about a year ago and I am sure he sees hundreds of faces in that time.

Perhaps you had a nicer holster than any in his collection

VIP Member
    Doesn't matter what he thinks or what kind of look he gives. Maybe he doesn't pay child support either...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

With the proliferation of hard to remove, modern IWB holsters, the officer must see that kind of thing relatively often. (I too only remove the gun, and not the complete IWB holster, but your post was a heads-up for me when passing through metal detectors, due to the metal clips of my snubby's IWB Kholster...).

-Bill

haha. thats one of the best 'i got made' threads i have seen in a while.
    i have often worn my holster @ work when i need to run in on the weekends for something quick. i always wonder what the discussion would be when someone notices
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

The deputy was probably thinking, "That guy looks familiar...where do I know him from?"

He "sees" 10,000 people a day. He most likely never looks at any of them.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Yeah, that's a pretty good "made" story. I'm sure it was quite an awkward feeling. You've got nothing to worry about though, AFAIK, it's not illegal to carry an empty holster anywhere :-)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

GM
    Nothing to worry about, you did not do anything illegal.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

"Quiet commentary" or not, you did nothing wrong.

Thanks for sharing!

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Links