Do you have to Conceal at home? (FL)

This is a discussion on Do you have to Conceal at home? (FL) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in FL and my question is.... do I have to conceal when I'm wearing a gun at home? I assume if I'm out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to Conceal at home? (FL)

I live in FL and my question is.... do I have to conceal when I'm wearing a gun at home? I assume if I'm out mowing my lawn in view of my neighbors that I must conceal.... but what about inside my home? Do I have to conceal if I'm inside my home and wearing a gun in a holster on my body?

My windows are open so technically someone might see me carrying through a window..... or if a neighbor comes to my door and I open it they would see me carrying. I like to wear shorts and tank tops while at home (FL heat you know) so I'd rather not worry about having to cover up my firearm while inside my house if I don't have to.

I apologize if this is a stupid or repeated question... I'm new to concealed carry and forgot to ask this question in my class and couldn't find specific information on it on-line.

I'd say just use good judgment, just like you wouldn't stand buck naked in front of a window with the lights on...or would you?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I am no lawyer but it is my understanding that, at least in NC, one can open carry or carry concealed on their own property or in their own place of buisness. No permit needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I'd say just use good judgment, just like you wouldn't stand buck naked in front of a window with the lights on...or would you?

LOL... well no I wouldn't do that. However I work from home when I'm not traveling so my windows are open all day (I like natural sunlight). Obviously I don't want to announce that I'm carrying.... but I'm more interested in what my legal right is.

For example, if a neighbor came to my door and I have my gun in holster on and they comment "you can't carry openly you have to conceal". Am I within my legal right inside my home to openly carry on my body?

Nope, in FL you can open carry in your home and place of business.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Nope, in FL you can open carry in your home and place of business.

Good to know

Thank you

By the way Gulf Girl, welcome to concealed carry

It's your house....do what you want. Anyone who complains (by looking through your window) should be charged with being a Peeping Tom!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    By the way Gulf Girl, welcome to concealed carry
    Thank you! I'm currently breaking in a few different holsters for my carry guns. It's a lot less painful than breaking in a new pair of shoes

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    It's your house....do what you want. Anyone who complains (by looking through your window) should be charged with being a Peeping Tom!

LOL.... well my bigger concern was the neighbors. Most of my neighbors are "mind your own business" kinda folks.... but we've got ONE busy body (doesn't every neighborhood) who calls the sheriff at the drop of a hat.... so I just wanted to be sure I'm not breaking any rules if I carry openly inside my home.

Welcome gulfgirl and I'll second what other here said and that is you can open carry in your home or place of business in FL.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf Girl View Post
    LOL.... well my bigger concern was the neighbors. Most of my neighbors are "mind your own business" kinda folks.... but we've got ONE busy body (doesn't every neighborhood) who calls the sheriff at the drop of a hat.... so I just wanted to be sure I'm not breaking any rules if I carry openly inside my home.
    IF the sheriff or a deputy comes by then you might become friends. It is not bad to know the local LEO.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Welcome. Should be legal, but it's up to you if you want your neighbors to know.

Gulf Girl,
    Welcome aboard from another Floridian.

I suggest you go out and buy this book. It covers Florida gun laws and gun use including the exact question you asked. It's also written in plain English instead of legaleze, so it's an easy read.

Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

When my brother took his CC class the very first thing the instructor said was to go buy this book.
    "Bolt actions speak louder than words."

I don't know in terms of reading any law about it here (NY State) but concealing is when you're in public I would assume, in any state. Maybe check for your peace of mind with your Permit Dept. but I can't believe it's not legal.

You still should watch it though about being observed. Especially by the neighbor who noses about and calls the cops. I was always told to be quiet about owning guns since they are a favored reason for BGs breaking in and stealing them from your home.. Make sure you've got a secure safe that can't be moved if you feel people may know you have guns. (Reminds me I have to bolt mine down. It's 100 lbs but two guys could carry it out easy.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links