Leaving my carry in the Car during the work day - Page 2

Leaving my carry in the Car during the work day

This is a discussion on Leaving my carry in the Car during the work day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tokerblue It would be tragic if your gun was used in a crime. I would hate for a gun I own to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving my carry in the Car during the work day

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    It would be tragic if your gun was used in a crime.
    I would hate for a gun I own to be used in a crime. Especially by someone else.
    Knowing is half the battle.

How do those COM car safes compare to the new ones from GunVault?
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Just hide it an lock your car...You are not to blame
    I would consider that irresponsible.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    This safe bolted to the truck body cost about $40.00

Stack-On | Strong Box Personal Safes
    Great safe Thumper, thanks for sharing. However, I don't like the idea of it being exposed.

I'm one of lucky ones regarding 24/7 carry, because I work for myself.

I will not enter a place I'm not allowed to carry - ever, at least without alternative arrangements.

I avoid the feds like plaque. Here in MN the ban signs don't carry any weight, so as long as I'm off the school grounds and feds, I'm golden.

I feel truly sorry for all who have to risk their lives due to political correctness.

What is the crime rate of CCW holders compared to the general population and/or politicians in general?

If memory serves, Florida has revoked under 170 permits of the ~1.4 million carry permits issued - 0.01%. The reason for revocations were not clear, but hardly the majority were for murder, rape, assault, or billion dollar bribes - not to mention ruining the world's economy.

Hang in there, Lannie. Things will improve.

Stay safe.

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I would consider that irresponsible.
    Would you be irresponsible to have filled you car with gas before it was stolen?

Put the gun out of sight and lock your car.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Get a Center of Mass safe to put under your seat....get one larger than you think you'll need. I would not leave anything of value in a glove compartment.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Safe's a good idea. In my county in NY State, think there's a rule you can't leave your gun unattended, think if it was in a safe it would preclude any problems there as well as theft.

I got a simple lock box with a cable that fits under my seat. when I got to the parking area I roll back my seat open the box and slide my gun in. The cable is around my seat so they'd have to steal the seat too if they wanted it. but since its under the seat you can't even see it unless you are looking for it.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I wish I could at least have my firearm in the truck while I'm at work. As it is now, I can't even have a pocket knife. I work for a government contractor, no weapons allowed. Not even in the parking lot. It's a secure lot and we have random vehicle inspections. When not at work, I use an under seat safe to secure my gun in no carry zones. I get off work late at night and would really love to have a gun in the truck for the drive home.

Car safe

I have a similar safe to thumpers. Its a harbor freight with both keypad and over ride key.
    I think its on sale now for $20.
    I have an Expedition with a center console, and its inside the CC and thru bolted the metal floor of the vehicle.
    I, too, worked for a govt contractor, however, Florida law states you can have a gun in your vehicle on company property if the vehicle is locked.
    My vehicle and safe are locked. Since I have ham radio equipment installed, teh safe has a decal stating: "DANGER: OSHA law requires securing of equipment of 2150 volts. Do not open this container."
    Gets the point across.

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Drop it in one of these.

When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I work for an employer who does not allow weapons in their buildings. I can however leave it in my car on a daily basis, in an underground parking garage.

My question is, is the glovebox enough or should I be investing in an in car safe? Secondly, if the gun was stolen out of my locked car, am I liable for that?

I am fairly confident the answer to question #2 is no I am not liable. If I am I am not sure what I will do.
    I'm in the same boat with you. One of my vehicles has a locking glove box. Problem solved (for the most part)....I like it for that reason, but I'd rather drive my other vehicle..but at the cost of petrol and the difference in economics (4cyl vs. 8cyl and 4wd), my locking glove box is just dandy. Liability? You're pretty much liable for your weapon wherever it goes. Treat it like a credit card and report is stolen the first instant you realize it has been. On company property? Well, I'll tell you the way it is here where I am. My company policy pretty much says they can even search my vehicle if they have reasonable suspicion of something. Am I worried about that? No. They have no right since the parking lot is open to the public although on private property. I have a state permit, and drive 25 miles one way to work. My employer cannot deny me carrying to and from work...so what to do with it when I'm at work? I must leave it in my vehicle. My employer has video surveillance on the property. Does this protect me and my property or theirs while my property is on theirs? Companies protect their best interests above all else. End of story. I've thought about a vehicle safe before, but if someone is going to break in to your vehicle and get what they want, that's one thing...but if they are intent on stealing your vehicle, they have all the time in the world if they don't get caught in the act to disassemble everything on it or within it once they get it behind closed doors. Do what you will if not interfering with local, state, or federal laws. Securing your pistol is up to you, and how you want to do it, and your peace of mind, but you are ultimately responsible for it's whereabouts any time it's not within your grasp.

I might try and talk him into letting me have a safe in my office. Not sure how to gracefully approach that issue. I may also ask the local pd who i know if I can store it there during daylight hours. They have to have lockers.

Console safe makes safes to fit in your make and model of vehicle. I've not sprung for one yet, so I just take a regular gun cable lock and lock mine to the seat frame under the seat when I go into work. I have several vehicles, so I can easily move the cable lock to whichever one I'm driving.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

If you want a low price pistol safe, I bought one at Walmart for $24. ($40 elsewhere) Its heavy steel with a keyed lock, made for 2 handguns. I have one by my bed with a key on a cable behind my bed headpost. I've seen a lot of those "stack on" (etc) electronic boxes that have been returned because they stopped working. Also there is a video on Youtube of one of those safes with hand outline on top that failed and opened by hitting it. YouTube - UNSAFE GUN SAFE VAULT A key is reliable and will open the lock. Bolt it down or run a heavy cable around something solid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links