NC law interpretation

This is a discussion on NC law interpretation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just want a second opinion to make sure I understand. Can minors (under 18) shoot a handgun at the range if supervised by parent/gaurdian? ...

Thread: NC law interpretation

NC law interpretation

I just want a second opinion to make sure I understand.

Can minors (under 18) shoot a handgun at the range if supervised by parent/gaurdian?

My feelings are YES. Sifting through the NC general statutes and such, it seems they can, as long as they are supervised and don't commit any of the hand-gun no-nos like brandishing, crime, etc...

2. Remove Ads

I would say yes, if the range permits it. I do not recall any laws about such. Children under 18 can hunt ( I know that is usually with a long gun). I am in a very rural area and my range is a favorite spot in a field, so take it for what it is worth. I will be interested in what others more knowledgeable than i have to say about it.

Rules from my range:

Persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, who
    must remain with the under age member at all times while in the firing area.

So its either legal or my range is breaking the law ;)

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Here ya go.............

NC Firearms Law
    ------------------------------------------------------
    VI. AGE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PURCHASE AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS............

"North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any person

under the age of 18 to possess or carry a handgun. A handgun is defined as a firearm that has a short

stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which

such a firearm can be assembled. This prohibition does not apply to the following:

A. officers and enlisted personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States when in

discharge of their official duties, or acting under orders requiring them to carry

handguns;

B. a minor who possesses a handgun for educational or recreational purposes while the

minor is supervised by an adult who is present;

C. an emancipated minor who possesses such a handgun inside his or her residence; and

D. a minor who possesses a handgun while hunting or trapping outside the limits of an

incorporated municipality if he/she has on his or her person, written permission from

a parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis."

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

When I lived in Raleigh I used to go to the range at Personal Defense south of downtown. On the weekends it was normal to see parents with kids shooting small caliber firearms.

I am pretty sure that it is at the discretion of the range to allow children to shoot firearms, as well as dictate the caliber that they are allowed to shoot.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supryze View Post
    I just want a second opinion to make sure I understand.

Can minors (under 18) shoot a handgun at the range if supervised by parent/gaurdian?

My feelings are YES. Sifting through the NC general statutes and such, it seems they can, as long as they are supervised and don't commit any of the hand-gun no-nos like brandishing, crime, etc...
    Yes, See N. C. General Statutes: Article 39 14-315 (1)(2) & 14-316 (a)(b).
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks for the responses, and its good to see it in writing.

I would think it would be pretty silly if a range did not allow properly supervised minors to shoot. I know if I went to the range with my kids and they told me my kids could not shoot I would leave while telling them to count the money they are losing on my way out. Me, the wife, 2 kids- 4x$10 (range fees, usually waved for the kids at my local range)=$40+ (2x$20(Kids .22 ammo) + 4x$30(9mil for wife and I))= $200x 12(once a month the whole family goes shooting) = $2400 (wow never looked at it like that 0.o) then add in that I will not stop by to shoot during the week thats another $50 a week and that I will tell my buddies...... That all adds up. Our kids are the future if they are responsible and the adult is responsible then they should be encouraged to shoot.

Links