Marriott hoses NRA attendees... - Page 3

Marriott hoses NRA attendees...

This is a discussion on Marriott hoses NRA attendees... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sigmanluke I think that's what he meant by this. Bad me. You are right! I better learn to read . I was ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    GM
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I think that's what he meant by this.
    Bad me. You are right! I better learn to read . I was so mad after reading the article; I cannot believe that someone should do something like that!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Before you get too riled at the NRA for choosing Charlotte, please remember that 1/3 of the NRA members live within 150 miles of Charlotte and the opening of the NASCAR Museum coincided with the event. The local press was pathetic in their uninformed coverage but did provide a few salient facts.

Kudos to Hyatt Gun Shop for Larry's brilliant marketing move of allowing free parking and free shuttle downtown to the convention. Many conventioneers enjoyed the service and bought weapons at the store as a result.

I raced across the expo floor in 3 1/2 hours, got a bagful of catalogs, and saw every booth there. I wish I'd had more time to actually stop at more of the booths than I was able.

The city was impressed with the conventioneers' attitude and grateful for the $20 million pumped into our depressed economy.

VIP Member
    It is a regional thing. I just spoke with the manager of Marriott's Willow Ridge Lodge in Branson, MO. He said, No there are no signs here. He also said there is NO hotel carry policy. He did say that while he often sees open carry on the main streets of Branson, they prefer that you keep your gun concealed while on the hotel grounds or check them at the front desk.

I chose Branson as an example because it is a resort town geared to family entertainment and convention business.

NRA could easily have chosen a gun friendly place like this for it's convention.

The Marriott manager in Branson at the end of my brief conversation said, we support carry here.

Resorts in Branson, MO: Resort in Branson, Missouri ? Branson Resort
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Bad me. You are right! I better learn to read . I was so mad after reading the article; I cannot believe that someone should do something like that!
    We are on the same page my friend. That manager doesn't need to have a job at a hotel if he's going to pull stunts like that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delford View Post
    Before you get too riled at the NRA for choosing Charlotte, please remember that 1/3 of the NRA members live within 150 miles of Charlotte

The city was impressed with the conventioneers' attitude and grateful for the $20 million pumped into our depressed economy.
    Bet I can fine a lot of cities who would impressed with a $20 million pumped into their depressed economy and within the same distance of 1/3 of the NRA members whose State laws are more pro-RKBA.

But more to the point of this thread, I wonder would anyone who had willing to go the Gun Ban Meeting would have any legal recourse for the breach of contract by the hotel or stress caused by the hotel, etc?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Before you get too riled at the NRA for choosing Charlotte, please remember that 1/3 of the NRA members live within 150 miles of Charlotte

Where did you find this information? Please check your facts before posting.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I was at the NRA convention. Apparently, NC state law has a spiel about NO CC at paid events within the state. So, this gig at the Marriot may have fallen under that umbrella. Can't exactly blame Marriot, if that is the case.

As for NRA selecting Charlotte as a venue, despite this rule, that is a whole different matter. I would suggest contacting the NRA.
    The no CC at paid events applies to a venue where a large gathering occurs and you pay to get into the venue. Like a concert, ball game, car show etc. The meeting in the hotel doesn't fall into this category. The manager referred to liquer laws that also did not apply. Clearly they don't know their own state's laws, but again the NRA picked a state with horse manure for brains.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    Remember, in NC, if alcoholo is being sold at the dinner for consumption, CCW is prohibited under current law. It's not Marriott, it is the state. Now that you've crucified Marriott, check with your legislators.
    Nobody mentioned consumption of alcohol at the dinner. The manager of the hotel brought it up because they have a restaurant that serves it.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Before you get too riled at the NRA for choosing Charlotte, please remember that 1/3 of the NRA members live within 150 miles of Charlotte and the opening of the NASCAR Museum coincided with the event. The local press was pathetic in their uninformed coverage but did provide a few salient facts.

Kudos to Hyatt Gun Shop for Larry's brilliant marketing move of allowing free parking and free shuttle downtown to the convention. Many conventioneers enjoyed the service and bought weapons at the store as a result.

I raced across the expo floor in 3 1/2 hours, got a bagful of catalogs, and saw every booth there. I wish I'd had more time to actually stop at more of the booths than I was able.

You're not the only city that could use an economic boost. The NRA's generic response was "we try to move around year to year to give everyone the opportunity to attend" well NC isn't far from VA and VA would be a more gun friendly location. There was literally dozens of more gun friendly places to hold this event. All of which could use the tourism. The opening of the Nascar hall of fame sounds like it may be a possible excuse, nothing else could be used IMO. Poor choice of city and state when it comes to the rights of gun owners which they keep telling me they are fighting for. Better they send a letter to the city and state telling them why they aren't getting the $20 million. Honestly, the way the event was managed just sounds like a joke. Like it's only about the money and whether or not they get more ppl to pay their $25 a year and donate. The Lord knows I get enough junk mail from them asking for more and more money.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Response from Marriott

Here is the response I received from Marriott after posting a question on their website: [emphasis added]
    Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

We would like to thank Grass Roots North Carolina/Forum for Firearms Education for its business at the Charlotte Marriott City Center hotel. During the group's stay, there was some confusion regarding the hotel's position on the carrying of firearms by the public. It has been the hotel's long-standing policy to not allow firearms by the public on the premises. In accordance with applicable law, this policy is posted in several locations around the hotel. The permanent notice at the hotel's entrance had been removed during a recent renovation and was replaced with temporary signage. This temporary posting was removed for a brief period of time, which may have led to guest uncertainty. We sincerely regret and apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused.

Marriott’s policy is to comply with all applicable laws and ordinances. We are a hospitality company that provides public accommodations and space for events and functions. We do this without regard to the lawful purpose or views of any specific group or organization. As always, the safety and security of our guests and associates is a top priority.

Regards,

Marriott Customer Care
    It is not clear in this if it is Marriott's corporate position, or this is local hotel policy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice to see that they made use of that big parking lot in Westerly Hills. Been unused for far too long.

1/3? Maybe 1/3 of attendees. That would sound more reasonable.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    Here is the response I received from Marriott after posting a question on their website: [emphasis added]

It is not clear in this if it is Marriott's corporate position, or this is local hotel policy.
    I assume from your post you went to the local hotel Web site. If so, you might want to go to

https://www.marriott.com/suggest/suggest.mi

and ask.

BTW -- I would suggest a fire mission for everyone asking for the corporate policy -- not a referral to the individual hotel.
    Last edited by DaveH; May 19th, 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added btw
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This went to Marriott.com. I complained through a web page interface and provided a link to Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution which links to a web page provided in the OP. This responses was from GuestRelations@marriott.com

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I assume from your post you went to the local hotel Web site. If so, you might want to go to

https://www.marriott.com/suggest/suggest.mi

and ask.

BTW -- I would suggest a fire mission for everyone asking for the corporate policy -- not a referral to the individual hotel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    This went to Marriott.com. I complained through a web page interface and provided a link to Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution which links to a web page provided in the OP. This responses was from GuestRelations@marriott.com
    Wrong assumption on my part. Thanks for the info.

All the more reason we should flood them asking about "corporate policy" -- IMHO.

I'd also suggest followup inquires if the reply is non-responsive to the issue of "corporate policy" -- as I will, if their reply to me is non-responsive.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Where did you come up with that bogus "fact"?

The NRA has a total membership of approx 4 million. One-third of 4 million is 1.3 million.

The population of the United States is estimated at just over 309 million.

That calculates to approx 1 out of 77 the general population are NRA members.

At that rate, for 1/3 of NRA members to be within a given sample, you'd need a sample size of around 100 million people (1.3 mil x 77 = 100.1 mil).

The city of Charlotte has a population of only 687,456 (relatively small for a "big city"), and the entire Charlotte metropolitan area is only 1.7 million. I seriously doubt that the immediately-surrounding rural area outside the metropolitan area holds 90-something million people.

Even if people in that region are NRA members at a drastically disproportionate rate, it's still highly improbable that 1/3 of NRA members live within 150 miles of Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    1/3? Maybe 1/3 of attendees. That would sound more reasonable.
    That would make MUCH more sense.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links