Marriott hoses NRA attendees...

This is a discussion on Marriott hoses NRA attendees... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few points of clarification: this was NOT an NRA event. it was an event held by Grassroots NC, a state gun rights organization along ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marriott hoses NRA attendees...

Marriott's response

A few points of clarification:

this was NOT an NRA event. it was an event held by Grassroots NC, a state gun rights organization along the lines of VCDL or GeorgiaCarry.org.

The signs were not posted on the room where the dinner was held, they were posted on the entrances to the hotel... after the dinner had begun and after hundreds of NRA attendees had already checked in.

Add the fact the the hotel was providing means for guest to "check" their firearms to attend the convention itself prior to the posting of signs simply doesn't jibe with a long-standing policy barring them from the hotel itself

And, as is obvious from the response included below, corporate did not bother to really look into the matter - because if it was long-standing hotel policy to ban firearms, why didn't the General Manager say so when challenged about the late Friday posting?

(As an aside, my wife and I have stayed in this hotel several times for other events in the past few years and have always carried - it has NEVER been posted
    The obviously form letter generated for complaints about this was:

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.
    We would like to thank Grass Roots North Carolina/Forum for Firearms Education for its business at the Charlotte Marriott City Center hotel. During the group's stay, there was some confusion regarding the hotel's position on the carrying of firearms by the public. It has been the hotel's long-standing policy to not allow firearms by the public on the premises. In accordance with applicable law, this policy is posted in several locations around the hotel. The permanent notice at the hotel's entrance had been removed during a recent renovation and was replaced with temporary signage. This temporary posting was removed for a brief period of time, which may have led to guest uncertainty. We sincerely regret and apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused.

Marriott’s policy is to comply with all applicable laws and ordinances. We are a hospitality company that provides public accommodations and space for events and functions. We do this without regard to the lawful purpose or views of any specific group or organization. As always, the safety and security of our guests and associates is a top priority.
    Regards,

Marriott Customer Care

This communication contains information from Marriott International, Inc. that may be confidential. Except for personal use by the intended recipient, or as expressly authorized by the sender, any person who receives this information is prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, and/or using it. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it and all copies, and promptly notify the sender. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law.

2. Remove Ads

Did Anybody staying there refuse to pay their bill because of this?

I just sent the following email to Kathleen Matthews EVP of Global Communications and Public Affairs at Marriott.

I am a Platinum Elite Lifetime member in the Marriott Rewards program. Which means I have been in the Marriotts Rewards program for over 12 years, over 1000 nights and earned over 3,000,000 Marriott Rewards Points (which are earned at 10 points per dollar spent at Marriott hotels).

Needless to say am one of Marriott's best customers, having paid to stay at Marriott branded properties for 1,207 nights, so far.

I contacting Hilton to have them status match my Marriott rewards level the Diamond level in the HiltonHonors program. Hilton will get all my hotel business until there is a satifactory resolution to this matter.

The reason Marriott has earned my business in the past was due to their "Starbucks like" policies towards firearms. I do not open carry but know of people in Pennsylvania who have open carried at Marriortt hotels in Eastern Pennsylvania without incident. There are gun show at Marriotts, just Google "Marriott" and "Gun Show". This seems to be a case were Jim Diehl, has gone rogue and made his own policies.

I am looking forward to Marriott's response to my email.

========================================

Kathleen,

I had stayed at that Marriott in Charlotte during the NRA Annual Meeting and I can legally carry a concealed weapon in North Carolina.

Thursday morning I called Chad Callaghan, Marriott's Corporate VP of Loss Prevention regarding Marriott’s firearms policy, to inquire if it had changed. He confirmed that their policy had not changed, and Marriott's policy was to follow the laws of the jurisdiction in which the hotel is located. It has always been my understanding that Marriott’s firearms policy was similar to Starbucks (Starbucks Newsroom: Starbucks Position on Open Carry Gun Laws).

I also spoke with Chad regarding the lack of safes in every guest room. I find interesting that a corporate owned and operated property, in the nation’s second largest banking center does not provide safes in every room.

I asked Chad for a copy of the firearms policy to give to the hotel’s general manager when I got there, since I was hearing conflicting information from the hotel’s staff when I called regarding the availability of in-room safes.

Chad told me he could not provide me the policy in writing but he would be calling the property to remind them of the policy.

Some of the hotel’s staff was well aware that I was going to have a firearm with me. I was upgraded to one of their 12 suites, when I had called to inquire about the availability of in-room safes, since only the suites have in-room safes at this property.

I checked in on Friday around noon, and there were no signs posted. When I returned from the NRA event at the Time Warner Cable Arena the signs were posted.

Here is my dilemma, there is now a sign stating no weapons, and my pistol is up in my room in the safe.

I went to the front desk and asked for the general manager, and was told he was gone for the weekend. I then asked for the manager on duty.

I spoke with Taylor, the manager on duty. I informed him that the posting of the sign is in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policy regarding firearms. I informed him that I had reconfirmed that policy with Chad Callaghan the previous day, before heading down to the NRA annual meeting.

The manager on duty told me he was going to call the general manager and corporate and look in to it.

The signs were still posted on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate firearms policy.

I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite with Marriott. The reason Marriott has earned almost all of my hotel business over the years is because of their firearms policy.

This hotel is a corporate owned; Host Marriott, corporate run, Marriott International location. What has happened is someone at this hotel, who is a corporate employee of Marriott, took it upon themselves to post signs in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policies.

Please help me understand how the general manager, of a corporate owned and operated Marriott is not familiar with corporate policies. Especially since Jim Diehl is also the regional executive that oversees the other Marriott properties in the Charlotte region.

I am requesting a personal written apology from Jim Diehl, for putting my clean criminal record at risk and jeopardizing my ability to legally carry a concealed weapon in 33 states. A clean criminal record is also required to maintain my government clearance which is required by my employer.

I am requesting that Marriott to place a full page ad in a nationwide publication with an apology regarding this matter. The same ad will include a public statement of Marriott’s policy regarding the lawful possession of firearms at their properties.

I am requesting the details of the disciplinary actions taken to assure that this issue does not happen again.

I am requesting the details of any new or modified employee training programs to assure that all staff at any Marriott business, corporate or franchised, is aware of the corporate polices related to the lawful possession of firearms at Marriott businesses.

Thanks you for taking the time respond to this email and ensuring the timely resolution of this matter.

Respectfully,

Ed

Liability, liability and liability with John Purty Boy Edwards looking and lurking out there somewhere.

i thought the NRA event was off limits because they charged admission??so the sign infact should have been posted to make sure no one got hooked carrying in an off limits location
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    i thought the NRA event was off limits because they charged admission??so the sign infact should have been posted to make sure no one got hooked carrying in an off limits location
    This was NOT the NRA event. The people were there (in Charlotte) for the NRA event. It was apparently a private event hosted by a local, Grass Roots type of club. The sign was posted in a hotel. On the main entrance door. It applied to everyone who entered the hotel, even those who had already, legally, placed weapons in their rooms. They now were technically in violation of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    This was NOT the NRA event. The people were there (in Charlotte) for the NRA event. It was apparently a private event hosted by a local, Grass Roots type of club. The sign was posted in a hotel. On the main entrance door. It applied to everyone who entered the hotel, even those who had already, legally, placed weapons in their rooms. They now were technically in violation of the law.
    Some of us were not at the Marriott for the GRNC event, we were just guests of the hotel when this happened.

I was in town to attend the NRA Annual Meeting and as well as the Charlotte UltraSwim (Charlotte UltraSwim ? Home Page) since a family member was swimming at that event.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by blastissimo View Post
    Did Anybody staying there refuse to pay their bill because of this?
    That, my friend, would be a crime--thief of services. Not a good idea at all. If one accepts and uses the services, one owes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That, my friend, would be a crime--thief of services. Not a good idea at all. If one accepts and uses the services, one owes.
    ^^^ This ^^^

Refusal to pay would be counter productive.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    The Convention Center itself is "No Firearms" whether an event is free or has an admission charge. The place in question is a hotel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The Convention Center itself is "No Firearms" whether an event is free or has an admission charge. The place in question is a hotel.
    The Charlotte Convention Center and the Time Warner Cable Arena are both government owned facilites which automatically makes them under NC law places where you can not carry.

Quote Originally Posted by BullMoose View Post
    The Charlotte Convention Center and the Time Warner Cable Arena are both government owned facilites which automatically makes them under NC law places where you can not carry.
    im confused as to what the argument is here...
    we are not talking about the convention center or the cable arena in this thread.
    this is about the hotel, which is a legal place to carry, posting a 'no carry sign' while ppl were in there carrying.

on another note: im sure if someone had been convicted they would have won in court, since the sign wasnt up when they went in, but still. jerks.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

No way... From wikipedia

2000 U.S. population density within each county, in persons per sq. mile (lower 48 states only): Light to dark (yellow to blue): 1-4 (y), 5-9 (lt. green), 10-24 (teal), 25-49 (dk. teal), 50-99 (blue-green), 100-249 (blue), 250-66,995 (black).

The real answer to this is to complain to the NRA about the selection of NC as the site of the convention with its anti-gun laws. It never made sense to me to begin with. Many other states/cities would have been a more "friendly" choice. Maybe the next convention will go off better.

I grew up in Charlotte, and the city does have an ego that's out of control.

Disregarding other laws that may have applied, I doubt anyone at the dinner would have been prosecuted for having a firearm when the sigh was posted. They could have been asked (unlikely) to leave. It amounts to passing a law to making something illegal (smoking, for instance), then arrested someone who smoked in the past. What was done before it was a crime is not a crime.
    While I agree the attendeds "Should" not be prosecuted for carrying after the sign was posted, what would have happened if someone placed a phone call to the police. They show up and find 300 people in violation of the signs on the door. They do not know when the signs were posted. The Manager says "They have always been there." or "I don't know when they were put up. "
    ding ding, you lose, give up your right to carry and serve your jail time. Thank you for playing!

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good Job GRNC...

and everyone else involved.

But note the bottom paragraph and let folk know if you se gun-buster signs.

GRNC campaign leads Marriott to say signs will be removed

GRNC campaign leads Marriott to say signs will be removed

Marriott appears to comply with gun boycott. Stay tuned for further information.
    Grass Roots North Carolina began a “Don’t Buy” campaign against Marriott International after its Charlotte hotel took money from and then made inadvertent criminals of hundreds of gun owners by posting “no firearms” signs during the weekend of the NRA convention and GRNC’s “Gala for Gun Rights.” Marriott confessed to a prohibition on firearms in all of its properties, many of which were posted.

After GRNC began the effort and Gun Rights Examiners Paul Valone, Dave Workman and David Codrea and others ran it, the boycott immediately “went viral,” appearing on forums across the country and generating untold numbers of contacts to Marriott – many of which were from Marriott’s “Rewards” members who supported the boycott. On Sunday, the Marriott boycott made nationally-syndicated radio on Tom Gresham’s “Gun Talk.”

Today, upper level Marriott executive Keith Thomas told GRNC board member Bill Krupicka that signs from the Charlotte property had already been removed, and that signs across the country will be removed promptly, further giving his apologies for the corporation's actions.

Please bear in mind that this victory is conditional: Marriott has not yet confirmed its policy, and a public apology to the gun owners staying in and traversing the Marriott across the weekend of the NRA convention has not yet been issued. Accordingly, please do not relax pressure against Marriott International yet. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
    Last edited by DaveH; May 25th, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links