Was this the first time NRA held a Convention

This is a discussion on Was this the first time NRA held a Convention within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious to those that were at the convention in Charlotte nc is this the typical way this venue is run. I actually worked the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just curious to those that were at the convention in Charlotte nc is this the typical way this venue is run. I actually worked the convention as a volunteer and was at the registration desk Friday morning. There was literally about 50 - 70 people doing registration at the two desks. Mean while there was two people working the will call for badges and event tickets. I can not count the number of times I was cursed out because of the lenght of the line at the will call desk. Really NRA you had no idea of the number of people showing up to pick stuff up and you only staff TWO people. If this is the way the organization runs I fully understand the gun laws in the state I live in N.C. Guess they figured they were ******* off life members and what were they going to do resign and lose that. For the 139 year of doing this it seemed more like year one. Just glad I have not made the life membership plunge until I saw this makes me really stop and think if that is best for my money!

If it weren't for the NRA, you would not have to worry about joining any gun organization. There would be none. No organization is perfect, so don't be too quick to critic

Cool

NRA is not an exclusive organization of the handgun owners nor exclusive for CCW. Out of the four or five publications they print, not one is for handguns. However, they do do alot of legislative and legal work protecting our 2A rights. We would be much worse off without them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If it weren't for the NRA, you would not have to worry about joining any gun organization. There would be none....
    As a life member, I have to say that that's a bit of a stretch.

The NRA has its place.

But they are not the only game in town and they have not been a major player/leader at the State & local level, where most of the progress has been made for a number of years.

As for carry, they have had to be dragged into the fray far too often.

IMHO, the NRA is a contributer to why so many politicians believing that 2A is about hunting, or thinking that pronouncements about supporting hunting will satisfy the Pro-RKBA voters.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I agree that the NRA is not the only game in town and does great work toward gun rights. The photo of the politician in his orange vest and toting a shotgun is about worn out. I do wish it would devote more of its efforts toward handguns and such. A handgun magazine would be nice.

As for selecting Charlotte as the site of the convention, I know the place well and the city, no doubt, promised the sun and moon to get it there. Someone, obviously, failed to provide the proper manning, and it may well have been an "event contractor" rather than the NRA itself.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Someone, obviously, failed to provide the proper manning, and it may well have been an "event contractor" rather than the NRA itself.
    I know that I and a number of others backed out of volunteering because of the "no carry" and told them so.

Maybe, it made a point.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    That could have been an effect. Just didn't have enough "volunteers."
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Back in 1971 when I joined and the NRA was sticking up for our rights, I don't remember any other organization do the same thing back then. If there was, who were they? It is the clout and power of the NRA that strikes fear in politicians, and the ability to lobby congress daily that makes a difference. The NRA has had grassroots organizations for years, they wrote the book on fighting for our rights through grassroots efforts and. On the national front. When gungrabbers suffer a defeat, or they want to point fingers, they never say RKBA, or anything else, it is the NRA that stands in their way. While there are others now involved in the fight, and I see that as a good thing, if the NRA were weak, we would all be in trouble, that's all I'm saying here.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    Out of the four or five publications they print, not one is for handguns.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I do wish it would devote more of its efforts toward handguns and such. A handgun magazine would be nice.
    In all fairness, it is the National Rifle Association.

I'm a member of the NRA, not a huge fan, but we're better off with them, than without them.

I'm a GOA member, but I think after I move in a couple weeks I'll join the NRA as well. They're far from perfect, but keeping their numbers up should still act as a deterrent for some of the gun-grabbing politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    In all fairness, it is the National Rifle Association.
    I was just about to say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    As for carry, they have had to be dragged into the fray far too often.
    I agree, the NRA's strategies are pragmatic rather than ideological, more often than not.

Initially, they wanted nothing to do with the Heller case, and waited to jump on the bandwagon until Heller's victory looked certain. Now, with the McDonald case, again they let Alan Gura et al do all the "heavy lifting", then weaseled their way into "supporting" McDonald by essentially stealing minutes out of McDonald/Gura's oral argument time.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    IMHO, the NRA is a contributer to why so many politicians believing that 2A is about hunting, or thinking that pronouncements about supporting hunting will satisfy the Pro-RKBA voters
    Again, I agree. NRA has only lately begun to stick up for non-hunting 2A issues... I think they finally realized that they better "get on board, or get left behind." It's kind of understandable, though. I'd wager that the majority of members care only about gun rights in the context of hunting. And any organization tends to focus their efforts based on feedback from members.

I think the NRA is a good, beneficial organization overall, but they do leave alot to be desired.

VIP Member
    While I don't think a name change is called for, clearly the purpose of the NRA has tranformed into something more than supporting rifle markmenship. Seeing as the shooting public is interested in more than just rifles, perhaps a broadened mission statement to include all firearms would be in order to demonstrate its support of all gun ownership.

Saying the National Rifle Association is only about rifles is like saying NASCAR is only about "stock cars." They haven't raced a stock car in years.

It's interesting that some percieve the NRA is only concerned with hunting arms. In all my years as a member, I have never felt this way. In all their publications I have read, it has always seemed clear to me they were for all arms . I remember after John Lennon was murdered, there was a push to expand on the Gun Contro Act of 1968 and ban all cheap small hanguns. For those of you who may remember, it was a jframe 38 spl that was used in this crime. The NRA immediatly began fighting this so called Saturdaynight special ban and won. They have been on the frontlines from the beginning. I just don't think many younger memberes here know all the history. In my last issue of American rifleman, they had articles and reviews on black rifles and defensive handguns. Why would we want to change a name as historical, powerful, and well known by all the gungrabbers. And after all, if we truly believe the 2nd amedment is about stopping tyrrany, then the rifle is of paramount importance. For those of you who don't remember, the late great Jeff Cooper said"the rifle is the queen of the battle".

While the NRA is certainly not perfect, it is the organization in the best position to help gun owners of all types. GOA is a great organization but it does not have the political clout of the NRA.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I would drop my NRA membership in a Tokyo second if there was a better outfit in town. I wish someone had the clout of the NRA and the focus of defensive carry.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links