Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911? - Page 2

Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911?

This is a discussion on Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very, very good advice from JD. I carry extra mags (and a "high" capacity pistol), but I don't consider them as an absolute part of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911?

VIP Member
    Very, very good advice from JD. I carry extra mags (and a "high" capacity pistol), but I don't consider them as an absolute part of my ammo. I plan on only having what's in the gun - if I am able to reload, that's a bonus.

I have big hands, and the double-stack .45s still seem pretty thick to me. I've held a few in other calibers that seemed a little thinner, but not all that much. If you can manipulate them well, carry the weight, conceal them appropriately, and they are RELIABLE, there's no reason not to have more ammo on board.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I carry a Springfield double stack 1911. She ain't the prettiest gal at the dance, but she does sing twice as long as the single stacks.

Seriously, if you can handle the grip girth and weight, the extra rounds are worth it. Just be advised that parts for double stacks, other than factory replacements, are nigh impossible to find. If you want a good, basic carry pistol, the double stacks are fine. If you like your Gucci gear, go with the slims.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Duty, Honor, Country.
    1LT Williams & SPC Hosford, 33rd IBCT ILARNG, SGT Chavers & SPC Johnson, 48th IBCT GAARNG
    KIA 06JUL09 FOB Kunduz, Afghanistan. RIP Warriors, you are not forgotten.

I have a double stack springer as well as a TRP. The thickness of the double stack actually fits my hand just fine but the weight is something to consider. With a semi it is also a good idea to carry an extra mag incase of malfunctions. With a double this is alot of extra weight.

Michael

Thanks for advice guys, but I'm still waiting on someone if they have any knowledge on how heavy the spring should be in the gun.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

JD
    Administrator
    You mean the recoil spring? If I recall, a standard recoil spring for a 5" 1911 in .45ACP should be 16lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You mean the recoil spring? If I recall, a standard recoil spring for a 5" 1911 in .45ACP should be 16lbs.
    Thanks JD
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Also Im going to go shoot my buddies Colt tomorrow, I heard the 230 grain are good for shooting, what do you guys think?

JD
    Administrator
    Most "target" ammunition you will find is of the 230gr FMJ variety and it's what I prefer to keep on hand for plinking and such. There are others of course, but 230 FMJ is probably the most common and is a good load.

Most "target" ammunition you will find is of the 230gr FMJ variety and it's what I prefer to keep on hand for plinking and such. There are others of course, but 230 FMJ is probably the most common and is a good load.
    thanks for the info JD

Figure I would bump this thread instead of a new one, So i got done shooting a 1911 yesterday for the first time and here are my thoughts.

The 1911 I was shooting was a 1980 Springfield made in IL.
    I shot 150 Blazer 230 grain hardball rounds.

Fairly accurate for my first time, Sights were combat sights and the recoil was just as much as my 40 firestar c.
    Thoughts now come down to what 1911 to get, I heard that so far i run a risk of getting a bad gun from any company i buy but a higher risk from kimber, I was told taurus would be good since they are machine made. Here are my questions...
    Should i stick with combat sights or night sights with adjustable rear sight?
    A 8 round single stack or 7 round single stack?
    What finish on the gun?
    What type of grips?
    And i want to keep it fairly under 1000$
    If your posting suggestions from your own 1911 please post pictures so i can have an idea, All suggestions are welcome

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Should i stick with combat sights or night sights with adjustable rear sight?
    Totally a matter of personal preference, don't forget you can also get non-adj night sights. I prefer fixed night sights.

A 8 round single stack or 7 round single stack?
    That's both a magazine issue, and a gun issue. Are you referring to a full frame vs a compact frame or just addressing the magazine capacity of a full frame. Pending on what magazines you use you can have 7 or 8 in a full frame or 6 or 7 in a compact.

What finish on the gun?
    If you plan on carrying the gun I would not go for blued, generally speaking I prefer stainless steel or one of the baked on or applied finishes such as ArmorTuff, ArmoryKote, Cerakote etc.
    What type of grips?
    This is a non issue, no matter what you buy you're probably going to find some after market grips that you like better.

And i want to keep it fairly under 1000$
    If your posting suggestions from your own 1911 please post pictures so i can have an idea, All suggestions are welcome
    Springfield, Dan Wesson, S&W are all good choices, with a higher price tag I would also add Colt, but $1000 doesn't buy you a whole lot from Colt unless you plan on having the gun worked on after the fact, not saying that Colt doesn't make a good gun, but the others are better equipped from the factory.

The above posted Springfield Loaded is a superb choice IMHO offering a well equipped 1911 at not too high a price point and retains value well.

Totally a matter of personal preference, don't forget you can also get non-adj night sights. I prefer fixed night sights.

That's both a magazine issue, and a gun issue. Are you referring to a full frame vs a compact frame or just addressing the magazine capacity of a full frame. Pending on what magazines you use you can have 7 or 8 in a full frame or 6 or 7 in a compact.

If you plan on carrying the gun I would not go for blued, generally speaking I prefer stainless steel or one of the baked on or applied finishes such as ArmorTuff, ArmoryKote, Cerakote etc.

This is a non issue, no matter what you buy you're probably going to find some after market grips that you like better.

Springfield, Dan Wesson, S&W are all good choices, with a higher price tag I would also add Colt, but $1000 doesn't buy you a whole lot from Colt unless you plan on having the gun worked on after the fact, not saying that Colt doesn't make a good gun, but the others are better equipped from the factory.

The above posted Springfield Loaded is a superb choice IMHO offering a well equipped 1911 at not too high a price point and retains value well.
    thanks JD always post helpful infor, and Im planning on a full size 1911

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    thanks JD always post helpful infor, and Im planning on a full size 1911
    You're welcome, if you want more info, check out my blog , there's a lengthy piece on 1911 features and manufactures, it's about time to update it again, but it was current as of 12-26-2009

OD*
    I would also add Colt, but $1000 doesn't buy you a whole lot from Colt unless you plan on having the gun worked on after the fact, not saying that Colt doesn't make a good gun, but the others are better equipped from the factory.
    That would depend on where you are buying, the Gold Cup Trophy in both blue and stainless are just under a $1000 shipped from Bud's (when they had them), all the XSEs are/were under $900, and the plain Governments (Series 80s) are/were under $800.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links