Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911? - Page 3

Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911?

This is a discussion on Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by guardmt Thoughts now come down to what 1911 to get, I heard that so far i run a risk of getting a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Thoughts now come down to what 1911 to get, I heard that so far i run a risk of getting a bad gun from any company i buy but a higher risk from kimber, I was told taurus would be good since they are machine made. Here are my questions...
    First, in talking about 1911s, I think you might have some misperceptions that need addressed:

Quality M1911s should work from the maker. I have not seen many bad 1911s. But those I have seen that I would call "bad" have come from AMT, Para and Taurus. By "bad" I mean that they have flaws which are not fixable by minor gunsmithing/tweaking.

Now, let's go into your expectations: You can order a "good" M1911 that will not shoot out of the box from any maker. Personally, this wouldn't even cause me much concern, until I went through it and checked the extractor tightness, rotated new magazines, and tried three or four different kinds of ammo in it.

IF you get an M1911 that will not reliably function, you will have choices. 1. Do you use the warranty service? 2. Do you have it fixed by a qualified gunsmith on your own dime/learn to fix it yoursefl? 3. Give up on the gun and sell it.

Have a plan, if you really, really want to own an M1911. They are not a modern design, and require additional attention, compared to modern mass-produced pistols.

Double stack 1911s are pigs to hold, though the Nite Hawg doesn't seem too bad. I went with a single stack myself.

The problem with the Nite Hawg isn't so much the double stack grip as the short barrel. The .45acp is a low pressure round that needs a lot of barrel to get up to speed. I'm not a fan of 3" guns in .45acp. even when they are reliable, which is never a given in a 3" 1911.

My personal opinion is that guns that size do better in .40S&W or 9mm with heavy for the caliber loads (180, 147). They lose a lower percentage of their velocity, as a general rule, than their lighter weight brothers, thus they stay closer to their designed velocity for expansion.

Many will say that more velocity (lighter bullets) means more expansion. I respectfully disagree. That would only be true if you were shooting the same bullet design. Manufactures make different designs in the different weights to optimize expansion for the velocity window of that load.

I like my single stacks. I finally sold off my last Kimber, an SIS Pro, a month or two ago. I won't be buying anymore Kimbers. The reason I bought so many of them over the past few years was that the best 1911 my local shop stocks is Kimber, so when I'd stop in and see a new one they hadn't had in before, I'd end up taking it home. I carried a Brown Executive Carry for a bit, but don't care for bobtails, so I switched to carrying the Wilson CQB until my Nighthawk PDP Commander comes in.

Now, once my PDP comes in, I'll decide if I like the scalloped front strap or not. If so, I'll be ordering the 5" PDP right away. if not, I'll be ordering an Enforcer. Either way, I think I'll also order a Talon FLX, which is Nighthawk's double stack, just to see how I like it. i can't see carrying it or using it for anything other than a match or the range.

For carry, I trust my single stacks. I also like the M&P's, but I just prefer 1911's.

As for capacity, 14+1 is better than 8+1 and extra magazines will not replace that. But, the chances of needing more than 9 are slim in comparison for the average guy, on the average day walking down the average street, but there's always the chance that you'll be the guy that needs more, so there's A LOT to be gained by practicing PROPER reloads. Taking a class for the Magpul Dynamics will get you running reloads very quickly. It's a great skill to know, along with malfunction drills, etc., but in MOST cases, we'll only need a few of what's in our gun.

For me, the gun being drawn was enough one time and the other time it was their gun going off and the broken glass of the driver's window that their head went through that stopped the fight. So, in two encounters, it was only one round fired....and not from my gun....and no one was hit.

Here's some of the 1911's I've carried over the last 2 years. I've owned others, but these are carried - obviously not the Nighthawk, it's on it's way though.

Wilson CQB

Kimber SIS Pro

Ed Brown Executive Carry

Kimber CDP Pro

Nighthawk PDP Commander, the one on the top will be here in a month or so (image from Nighthawk website)

Again, I like high capacity guns and double stack 1911's are nice for the range or competition, but for me, I don't trust them ENOUGH yet to carry if I buy one. That would take some time and I don't see actually carrying it. Although the frame and grip are not that much wider, at least on the Nighthawks, the frontstrap and mainspring housing are much wider. Part of the reason I carry a 1911 is how well I run one and that's mostly due to it's grip. Change that and I'd rather carry an M&P.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Nighthawk FLX pics. Notice it's not much wider overall, the frame now meets the slide's width and the grips area width is similar to a single stack with standard grips, but the frontstrap and Mainspring Housing are pretty wide and that has an impact on my shooting, but I only have around 500 rounds through double stack 1911's, so maybe that would change if I committed myself to shooting one for a while.

From the Nighthawk Site

Last edited by jonconsiglio; May 24th, 2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have two 45 semis both single stack. Since most SD shootings are over after 1 to 3 shots, and it's highly unlikely I'll ever need the gun to begin with, and even more unlikely I will need more than 7 or 8 shots, I go for the comfort of a narrower stock.

Another thing to consider is shooting comfort, if shooting the gun in longer range sessions.

Consider that some of the lightweight, single-stack 1911's out there can be as light as 22oz or so. With a hot .45ACP in 180gr, 200gr or 230gr, the recoil lick can slap the hand hard with a light gun. The original government 1911 was with a 5" bbl and ~39oz weight, IIRC. That weight and length helps dramatically for controlling recoil, aiding in follow-on shot accuracy, making it more comfortable to shoot.

I've got one 1911, an STI Shadow. It's 23oz and fairly thin, so my hand hurts after 20-30rds of firing in a session. That light, it's made more to carry than to be a range monkey.

If looking for a carry 1911 for your first 1911 purchase, particularly if you're considering doing so sight-unseen, I would recommend: > 30oz, single-stack, a barrel at least 4" in length, a grip height sufficient for your whole hand to grab it comfortably, along with a very good belt and holster. Many people successfully conceal and carry these daily, all year long.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Double your pleasure, Double your fun
    Carry a double stack, you only need one.

Been carrying a Warthog for years. I carry about 95% of the time. I have had ONE stovepipe in all the uears I have been shooting it.

Check out the pager Pal holster.

It's very comfy and concealable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links