Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911?

This is a discussion on Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm settled on buying a 1911 after this summer but, with what capacity? I really like Kimber's single stacked and Para Ordance Hawg but, in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911?

Single Stacked or Double Stacked 1911?

I'm settled on buying a 1911 after this summer but, with what capacity?
    I really like Kimber's single stacked and Para Ordance Hawg but, in the end will the extra rounds in the magazine matter when you make up for it with spare magazines?
    All advice appreciated.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Single stack or double stack depends more on your hand size. For me I need a single stack since the girth of a double stack feels more like having a fence post for a grip and my accuracy suffers. Best bet is to try both and see which one feels better in the hand. As far as round capacity it can be made up for by carrying extra mags.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Have you handled them side by side? I found there was night and day difference in quality of fit and finish. The Para just seemed rough. Also the springs to compensate for the light little slide on the Hawg are significant. I thought it was jammed the first time that I attempted to push the slide back - nope, it's just that stiff.

IMHO, if you really want a reliable double-stack, get a Glock. I trust my life to a G30.

If choosing between the two you mentioned, I'd go with a Kimber without further consideration. BTW, I plan on picking up a 'loaded' Springfield Armory 1911 today.

I used to carry a Para LDA14-45 and also had a P10 (pre-Hawg), decent guns but very thick and very heavy when loaded, particularly the full-size - a steel 15rd 1911 weighs a ton.

I have 4 1911's now and they are all single stack. Capacity is not an issue for me.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the double-stack fits your hand, go with it. If not, single-stack. Not worth having a few extra rounds in the mag if you can't get your hands around it. But the extra ammo will be heavy (heavier). Keep that in mind.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Great advice already given. I would follow it. Myself I have a.45 Kimber w/single stack. It's slim, trim and very reliable. Spare mags. as well. My double-stacks are in 9mm and .40 s&w and they are working fine. Just got to find out what works for you. Good luck..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I'd go single stack in a 1911.

Seriously would choose anything Springfield Armory makes over Kimber. If given an Para for free, I would sell it and use the money for something else.

If you get a good Kimber, you get a great gun. If you get a bad one, you may be chasing fixes for a while.

JD
    Administrator
    I've HAD three Para double stacks, I now have five single stack 1911s.

A couple of things pointed out are definitely true, the guns are heavy, you will NEED a good belt and holster to carry the weight but as the OP is talking about a night stand/car gun it may be a moot point.

The mags are expensive, around $50.00 for a Para mag and the STI/SVI mags are even more pricey if I'm not mistaken.

The double stacks from Para do feel completely different in the hand, the poly framed models by STI, SVI, etc. may feel more like a 1911 should, I don't think I've ever gotten to handle one.

As stated if you go Para make sure you go stainless, the Parakote finish on both my my Parakoted guns was crap.

Now regarding the magazine capacity. Spare mags on the person does not equal the same ability as having more rounds in the gun. If you are comfortable with 8 or 8+1 etc. that's fine, I am too, but don't for a minute think that just because you have a spare mag that "every thing will be ok" what you have in the gun is what you have in the gun and IF you have to reload you're in deep trouble.

What if you fumble the mag change?

"Making up" for lesser capacity by having a spare mag is not going to help you as much as not having to reload in the first place. Especially in the car gun role where you may have one hand on the wheel and may not be able to reload as easily in a moving vehicle etc.

I agree with 120mm on the Kimbers, I've had four of them and two needed major work, the third just needed a new thumb safety and the fourth was "ok"

Currently I only have one Kimber and no Paras at this time with no real desire to own another from either maker at this time, well I take it back, I wouldn't mind owning a couple of the Kimber models, but every time I think about buying one I remember the head aches from 3 out of 4 and put them back in the case.

Personally, for a car gun with higher capacity in .45, I'd probably go with a polymer model, most likely a G21, XD45, or S&W M&P.

A "proper" 1911 shouldn't be left in the car, and a good double stack 1911 is going to cost you some bucks.

cmb
    I prefer Single stack because of the grip, they fit me perfect, that may differ for you, I would definitely feel them out literally, may want to wait and look at the XDM... Chip McCormick also makes a 10 round single stack mag, should add between 1 & 2" to the guns height, it may depend on how you carry and whatcover garment, but it adds 2 rounds for about $30 bucks...

for a car gun which remains in there day and night I'd go glock/xd for a gun you bring in daily maybe then 1911... I second JD... oh and I prefer Springfield's!

The operator seems nice... I'm prob buying from buds, you guys know anything cheaper then buds?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    The operator seems nice... I'm prob buying from buds, you guys know anything cheaper then buds?
    Try CDNN, you have to call them but I've found them to have some of the lowest prices around.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Try CDNN, you have to call them but I've found them to have some of the lowest prices around.
    I only see gun add ons and stuff, there a seperate link?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    I only see gun add ons and stuff, there a seperate link?

For Firearm Related Questions Please Call 800-588-9500.

This Website Is For Firearm Accessory Sales Only!

Sorry, since your prior military i think you know what i mean when i say im a 11b and very good at it xD

also how heavy should my spring be?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links