Have you ever had to use your weapon?

This is a discussion on Have you ever had to use your weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GM Do you refer to LEOs that only do administrative jobs or to those that work on the streets every day? Should ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had to use your weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Do you refer to LEOs that only do administrative jobs or to those that work on the streets every day? Should a LEO that needs to draw his firearm be less professional for that?
    I think instead of professionalism it's more restraint. I'm pretty sure it's tough dealing with BGs, so not ever pulling a gun is impressive.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
    I speculate, for a regular civilian, the odds are going to be pretty miniscule, considering even some cops go through their careers without a single draw (which I find to be remarkable, and speaks highly to their professionalism).
    I think that would be virtually impossible or they worked Mayberry.

Looking back, I know I couldve handled my situation differently and am opening myself to criticism by sharing my story -making a long story short:

I was getting ready for work one morning. It was 5:30 in the AM. It was dark, and had turned out the front lights an hour ago. The neighbors dogs started going nuts, so I peak out the kitchen window to see two guys hanging out by the cars across the street. They then walk to the next house and hang by their cars.

Then they walk across the street to my house. Thinking theyre going for my pickup, I grab the phone, instead they go up my yard to my master bedroom (on the side of the house). I run to the bedroom grab the 870 (loaded/unchambered). Looking out the windows trying to find them, they walk right past the window and hang out just out of sight. I keep waiting, thinking theyre going to try and bust in a window- eventually they take the same path toward the front of the house, slowly and casually.

I open the front door, and throw open the storm door, they see me step onto the porch and they kept walking as If I werent there until I racked the slide chambering a shell already pointed in their direction. I had plenty of cover as part of the house sticks out as far as the porch, however as soon as they heard the pump both of them split down the street. One zig zagging. As they went I yelled at them with expletives to get off of my property, that next time I would open fire.

I know its not the ideal way of handling this situation, and will handle it differently next time. Just caught off guard and in the heat of the moment did what I thought was best at the time. I called the sheriff, and they searched the area. I mentioned I was going to call out that day in the event they decided to come back, but the officer explained that after what I did, he doubted they would come back anytime soon. Officer said they were probably casing the cars and using my home as a place to hide. To this day Im ever vigilant, always expecting them to come back. They were two young punks and I wanted to make a statement.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think that would be virtually impossible or they worked Mayberry.
    It happens. I have friends on Baltimore PD that have worked the street almost 15 years, never drawing once.

It's few and far between, but it happens.

No personal stories having to use my weapon and I hope that I never have one.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Millerb7 View Post
    While conceal carrying have you ever had to use your weapon to protect yourself or another's life?

Just drawing, or firing?

Curious how many have.
    neither me nor my husband has ever had to fire our guns in self defence and I hope we never have to.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It happens. I have friends on Baltimore PD that have worked the street almost 15 years, never drawing once.

It's few and far between, but it happens.

No personal stories having to use my weapon and I hope that I never have one.
    Could be, I'm not familiar with Baltimore. I spent most of my time in East LA, with a short stint in Watts in 65'. I never knew anyone who never drew their weapon on the job.

My answer is no, and if I ever do, I certainly won't be discussing the details on an Internet forum.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Despite viewing and listening to good training films, in small cities like Greenville, Ohio, you had to keep yourselves from becoming lax, lazy, sloppy and stupid; the same said for doctors and pilots and cab drivers and security guards and soldiers, etc., regardless of experience, time or seniority. I guess this applies to us CCW civilian gals and guys, too.

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    The search function is your friend. There are many threads on this topic.
    Yes but that wouldn't keep me busy at work. If you didn't want to contribute you didn't need to.

LEO's never having to draw on the job is amazing to me.

you might do a search, as there were several threads in the past on this.

Without wanting to be antagonistic, I have to wonder about the cops never having drawn their weapon. Does this mean that they have never made a felony stop? Or that they have and chose not to draw their weapon on it? Just curious.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Just once against a rabid dog a couple of years back. Unfortunately it ended in death. Not a pleasant thing but necessary to protect myself. The only thing I regretted was only firing 1 instead of 2 shots. Had I fired 2 or more shots of Federal Hydrashock (now switched to Remington Golden Saber), the dog would not have suffered for 14 sec. before it died. Lessons learned, I have experienced what they call "auditory exclusion", which means that the gunfire sounded like a firecracker. You hearing is reduced in an adrenalized state. And the event seemed like in slow motion. Other than that, nothing unusual and I didn't experience tunnel vision. You have to accept the fact that you might have to use it and take a life. If you can't, then you have no business with guns and you will hesitate in the moment of truth. My 2 cents here.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Without wanting to be antagonistic, I have to wonder about the cops never having drawn their weapon. Does this mean that they have never made a felony stop? Or that they have and chose not to draw their weapon on it? Just curious.
    Shoot-outs are much more common on TV than they are in real life.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

No, and I hope I never have to...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links