Have you ever had to use your weapon?

This is a discussion on Have you ever had to use your weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Weapon use. You know, there are other ways one can 'use' a weapon other than firing it, or even drawing it. I posted about this ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Have you ever had to use your weapon?

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Weapon use. You know, there are other ways one can 'use' a weapon other than firing it, or even drawing it.

I posted about this a couple of years ago.
    Some guy wanted to rob my dry cleaners one night. I had gone there to get a book from inside. I was unlocking it (about 10pm) when I noticed this car which was coming thru the lot suddenly stopped, right upon noticing I was unlocking the door. He did not park but stayed in the middle of the lot. I finished unlocking the door and turned around to face him. He had gotten out of his car and was looking at me. This went on for several seconds -- then he got back in his car and took off.

I think he 'made' me in a sense -- not that he could really see a gun, but the fact that I was facing him and not afraid, and the clothes I was wearing easily able to hide a gun made up his mind to leave.

While technically not a gun use, I think I could make the argument that it was a defensive gun use -- its possible existence made up the BG's mind to leave. It also gave me the confidence to face him down.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

2. Remove Ads

Once, on an isolated river bank while I was fishing, a couple of more than a little liquored up refugees from "Deliverance" showed up, made a few comments between themselves, and started approaching. I simply turned to where they could see the holstered revolver on my side. The fact that it was a Ruger Super Blackhawk didn't hurt. They left, I didn't have to say a word.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

You never know how or when your words can be misconstrued and/or used against you. I think many of the silent would consider this a "Just say No" or "Don't ask, Don't tell" type of topic.

Only one time.

I used to travel from South Texas to Austin a lot as I was going to school at the Univeristy of Texas at Austin. One day I decided to drive home to Brownsville late in the evening. It was a spare of the moment thing but I figure I can spend the weekend with my family. Well as i was driving home, I needed to go to the restroom bad. I stopped at the Public Rest Stop past the Sarita Check Point. As I drove up I did not see anyone or any cars. When I got off my car and started walking to the restroom, out of nowhere, about four guys appeared...two on my left, one behind me, and one directly in front of me. The guys looked kind of shady and appeared to be on foot. My heart immediately started racing but I kept my cool. I have to say that despite the guys not saying anything to me or not appearing to have a weapon on them, I felt threatened ...I mean, what are four guys doing at a rest stop hiding in the dark of night (1:00am). I acted as if nothing and walked towards the restroom. While I was walking I acted as if I was adjusting my shirt but my intention for this was so that the men could see I was CC ing. I walked into the restroom and did not even pee. I pulled out my gun and cocked it. I swear to you that for one moment I said to myself "Im a dead man". For one split second I felt that my life was going to end that night. After a while I just walked out of the restroom....to my relief nobody was around. I got in my car and bailed! Hell, I ended up peeing in my pants because i refused to stop for the remainder of my trip home.

This has been the only time I have ever drawn my gun....I hope it is the last and only time.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

Well told Joey. Thanks for sharing.

Only three times, once for a potentially dangerous dog, and twice cause of provocation. I don't tell people much cause of the stigmata of having a lethal weapon.

Yes, can't say anything in detail. Didn't have to draw but came very close.
    I had a funny false alarm many years ago (not in relation to above paragraph). You can do a search on this site if you want to read about it.

Yes with 20mm.

No with personal weapon.

A friend, a recent convert to CC, yes, but I won't tell his story.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Never

I live a quiet, boring life, and hope it never changes.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Have you ever had to use your weapon?
    Nope. After all, I'm just someone's kindly old grandfather who lives quietly. Probably don't even own a gun.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I use my gun to keep my pants up. It happens when you loose weight!

Oh! You mean in defense of my person. No. Thankfully life has been fairly boring. There was an incident where someone tried to kick my house door in at 1 am, but he didn't get through the oak!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Yes about a half dozen times. Home defense only, not shots fired...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links