Microstamping Ammunition

This is a discussion on Microstamping Ammunition within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It would increase costs, have no effect on crime, be more likely to be used against law-abiding owners, and is just another scheme of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microstamping Ammunition

It would increase costs, have no effect on crime, be more likely to be used against law-abiding owners, and is just another scheme of the anti-gun losers. It would be terrible for us and is an idea that should be completely abandoned.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think it would be too expensive and would really drive up the price of ammo to where only the wealthy could afford it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Problem is it's impossible to comply with the proposed legislation that is presented over and over again. There is no way to match the bullet and casing inside a factory so they match, then account for each round in a box, each box in a case. It's simply impossible.

Like what if they are serialized, then onto assembly but during operation of the loading machine the brass is rejected. Does the matched bullet also have to be rejected or can its matched serial be assigned to another casing? This is real world event stuff that legislation won't and can't address, thus leaving it up to the government's enforcement arm to interpret. We are talking the same agency that declared all shoe strings to be "machine guns".
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Nothing on the ammo would change, the cartridge gets stamped with make/model/serial of the gun after it is fired... so gun costs would go up since every single breech and firing pin would have to be customized.

This is a big issue in NY right now as there is a bill on the table right now that would require manufacturers who wish to sell semi-autos in NY to implement this technology,
    Hmm... I've learned something here. A bill that I had read last year was talking about 'pre-stamping' each round so that they were registered to you when you bought them.

'Different variations on mind-numbing tactics.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Hmm... I've learned something here. A bill that I had read last year was talking about 'pre-stamping' each round so that they were registered to you when you bought them.

Yup, this round is different, at least here in NY which has already passed the assembly. :( We've emailed all our Senators to oppose the bill because it's stupid!

In NY our handguns are already registered to us, that that record keeping is done. But what we've proved in 10 years with the ballistics database is that the law abiding CCW holders aren't the ones committing crimes with guns. Criminals don't register their guns!!!

Instead of abolishing the ballistics database, they want to add long guns to it and add this microstamping crap. So instead of saving ~$4mil a year they'd rather tax the people of NY for buying soda to try and plug the state deficit.

Lots of proposals have been done. Some aimed at the ammo makers and some at the gun makers. Both are impossible. I can think of 1,000 better ways our legislature can improve the way of life for Americans. This crap sure isn't one of them.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

that is serializing ammo...the ammo manufacturers have done a good job of resisting the government on that front...ammo would carry a serial number and it would be recorded when you purchased it...

Well, this would finally put an end to those brass monkeys I keep having to run off at the range! Why didn't they think of this sooner?

(heavy sarcasm of course)
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

VIP Member
    Micro stamping is a joke. Look at the states that have it. There is not one case that I'm aware of that was solved due to micro stamping. As with all the other idea's the anti's come up with, it's just another feel good idea.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I was under the impression that when the gun was fired, the shell casing was imprinted with a code or serial number that indicated the owner of the gun or who it was registered to. Of course, the brain surgeons who came up with this idea are aware that between 2-3 hundred million guns are already in the hands of citizens and do not have the marking capability. But I forget, when they pass this law, the BG's will only use newer model firearms that will mark the casings. Doh! If the ammo is already stamped and registered to somebody, I can foresee jails full of innocent people arrested for crimes they didn't commit because the shell casings were traced to them. What a country!

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I was under the impression that when the gun was fired, the shell casing was imprinted with a code or serial number that indicated the owner of the gun or who it was registered to. Of course, the brain surgeons who came up with this idea are aware that between 2-3 hundred million guns are already in the hands of citizens and do not have the marking capability. But I forget, when they pass this law, the BG's will only use newer model firearms that will mark the casings.
    - If the gun simply marks the shell casing, they just have to use revolvers. Problem solved.

There is no relationship between microstamping and crime...

What a waste of money...but I wonder who's going to make a bundle on this process?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There is no relationship between microstamping and crime...

What a waste of money...but I wonder who's going to make a bundle on this process?
    Have to differ with ya, microstamping would be a crime against common sense and the constitution.

Why don't we just keep criminals in jail, and execute the murderers?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    What do you think about microstamping ammunition, would it good or bad for us?
    Criminals will just buy standard ammo that comes in over the border with the drugs. This only hurts joe follow the law. As usual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links