Microstamping Ammunition

This is a discussion on Microstamping Ammunition within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Brownell's still sells files, sandpaper, and polishing stones right?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microstamping Ammunition

Brownell's still sells files, sandpaper, and polishing stones right?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    actually fire off some ammo that has steel primers. That "micro stamp" will get mashed into oblivion
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    BG picks up your brass at the range and tosses it on the ground at the crime scene.

Micro stamping would require registration

Micro stamping would increase cost
    I couldn't have said it better.
    Matthew <><
    Helotes, Texas

Beretta/Stoeger Cougar 8000f -blued, 9mm
    Kel-Tec PF9- 9mm, hard chrome
    Ruger LCP with CT

What good could come of this?

More gov't regs are the wrong direction.

less gov't not more.

Don't give the anti-gunners any hope of implementing this.

There is NO GOOD that can come from microstamping ammo...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I recall this serial-numbers-to-ammo campaign in the early 90s by a Jewish doctor that made it the purpose of his life. He created an excellent website (at that time is was something big) and provided all kinds of convincing data on it - the crack-war generated homicide crime would stop immediately.

We pro-gun guys at the CCN's gun board laughed hard at his asinine scientific conclusions.

I guess somebody is finally listening the nebbish?

There hasn't been a suggestion lacking intelligence enough the anti-gunners had not attempted to adopt.

Thank God I'm on this side of the debate. Then again, it would not hurt so much being stupid and all they tell me.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right. -- Cicero

I think it's harmless in the sense of altering your shooting, unfortunately it would likely be harmless to BGs, unless every piece of ammo in the country was stamped. Even then, stolen ammo would limit the effectiveness of a direct trail between round and actual shooter. Actual purchases of ammo by a BG would have some effect if that was all the ammo there was. But since it's not going to be done all over the country, we'll be left with law-abiding shooters paying more, some manufacturers refusing to send guns to those areas that have Micro-S - and crime will not be touched.

Too bad, abstractly it sounds good, but "The Street" is not abstract.

To the best of my knowledge, in NY State this is not the first time Micro-Stamping bill made partial headway in the State Legislature. But when it hits the other house, it never made it. Hopefully the same will be the case this time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I think it's harmless in the sense of altering your shooting,....
    Expand registration of some sort, to keep track of who is shooting what, is harmless?

The end of non-registered transfers (either of guns or of ammo depending on which approach is used) between individual private citizens, to keep track of who is shooting what, is harmless?

Whatever, restrictions and "oversight" such tracking would need put on reloading your own or of buying once used brass, in order to keep track of who is shooting what, is harmless?

Intrusion into and regulation of and inspection of all do-it-yourself repair of your own handguns (assuming the gun does the stamping) is harmless?

Criminal prosecution of honest citizens when the micro stamper wears off a handgun (assuming the gun does the stamping proposal is adopted) is harmless?

Increased cost to non-criminals shooters is harmless?

The dry up of all new guns in those few States, which adopt the law) when the gun industry decides that it is more cost effective to lose sales in those States than to convert their manufacturing possesses is harmless?

And if you have to move to one of those States not being able to bring your newer models with you is harmless?

See:

http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...ampingLaw.aspx

Guest view: Ballistic microstamping law as it relates to pistols huge waste of money - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch

Tracing device triggers backlash from gun industry - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee

Casing-code issues snag handgun law - SignOnSanDiego.com

Print Page - Gun Control Advocates Introduce 'Microstamping' Bill (for all USA)

California Microstamping Law Status — DOA for Now AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

More government intrusion into your home & private life is harmless?

No way!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Here is the co-sponsor for the NY microstamping bill. His name is Antoine Thompson and he's the sailor on the left.

WHA?!

Expand registration of some sort, to keep track of who is shooting what, is harmless?

Whatever, restrictions and "oversight" such tracking would need put on reloading your own or of buying once used brass, in order to keep track of who is shooting what, is harmless?

Intrusion into and regulation of and inspection of all do-it-yourself repair of your own handguns (assuming the gun does the stamping) is harmless?
    etc. etc. etc. etc. etc, etc and on and on.....

What are you going on and on about - the whole post is a diatribe against what I wrote. DID YOU READ IT:

HERE IT IS: ("harmless in sense of altering your shooting" means to the physical act of shooting, thought that was clear.) If the rest doesn't express the other meaning of harm, one of us is hallucinating:

I think it's harmless in the sense of altering your shooting, unfortunately it would likely be harmless to BGs, unless every piece of ammo in the country was stamped. Even then, stolen ammo would limit the effectiveness of a direct trail between round and actual shooter. Actual purchases of ammo by a BG would have some effect if that was all the ammo there was. But since it's not going to be done all over the country, we'll be left with law-abiding shooters paying more, some manufacturers refusing to send guns to those areas that have Micro-S - and crime will not be touched.

Too bad, abstractly it sounds good, but "The Street" is not abstract.

To the best of my knowledge, in NY State this is not the first time Micro-Stamping bill made partial headway in the State Legislature. But when it hits the other house, it never made it. Hopefully the same will be the case this time.

VIP Member
    Hum??

Seems like a bit more content to post # 37 than I remembered when I replied in Post # 38.

But what the hey.

As long as we agree, now, that it would not be good for the honest shooter.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Any legislation this useless and expensive is always the product of corporate profit somewhere. The danger here is not the anti-gunners as much as a good Republican Corporate CEO standing to increase his "Golden Umbrella" with another process the corporation can use to raise the profit from legitimate consumers of guns and ammo.

The Democrats are backing anti-gunners for votes and the Republicans are backing the pro-gunners for votes and profit (Big Corporations keep the gears well oiled with "campaign funds" in both parties.)

If this process can make money, both parties will back it. Our emails just don't carry the same weight as bucks in the "war chest" and votes in the ballot box. Threaten to change your votes doesn't help because you just give it to the other bunch of idiots.

Pray that the "profit margin" just isn't worth the incorporation of the process. It is the only hope in this current political situation. If they can make a buck at it, it will happen.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    expand registration of some sort, to keep track of who is shooting what, is harmless?

The end of non-registered transfers (either of guns or of ammo depending on which approach is used) between individual private citizens, to keep track of who is shooting what, is harmless?

Criminal prosecution of honest citizens when the micro stamper wears off a handgun (assuming the gun does the stamping proposal is adopted) is harmless?

Increased cost to non-criminals shooters is harmless?

The dry up of all new guns in those few states, which adopt the law) when the gun industry decides that it is more cost effective to lose sales in those states than to convert their manufacturing possesses is harmless?

And if you have to move to one of those states not being able to bring your newer models with you is harmless?

See:

http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...ampinglaw.aspx

guest view: Ballistic microstamping law as it relates to pistols huge waste of money - utica, ny - the observer-dispatch

tracing device triggers backlash from gun industry - sacramento politics - california politics | sacramento bee

casing-code issues snag handgun law - signonsandiego.com

print page - gun control advocates introduce 'microstamping' bill (for all usa)

california microstamping law status doa for now accurateshooter.com bulletin

more government intrusion into your home & private life is harmless?

no way!
    well said, dave!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I was under the impression that when the gun was fired, the shell casing was imprinted with a code or serial number that indicated the owner of the gun or who it was registered to. Of course, the brain surgeons who came up with this idea are aware that between 2-3 hundred million guns are already in the hands of citizens and do not have the marking capability. But I forget, when they pass this law, the BG's will only use newer model firearms that will mark the casings. Doh! If the ammo is already stamped and registered to somebody, I can foresee jails full of innocent people arrested for crimes they didn't commit because the shell casings were traced to them. What a country!
    This is one version of microstamping the casing using a couple different technologies. I beleive after a few thousand rounds it is worn down to where it doesn't work. There is no requirement to fix it. This was the bill Arnold signed (some conservative) in CA last year, I'm not sure when it goes into effect. There is also no requirement to retro-fit the already exisiting ~70 million firearms. I'm not sure if revolvers have the same requirement.

The ammo micro stamping is on the butt of the bullet. It's a bar code like stamp.

Why don't we just require all manufactured firearms to have an RFID and all firearms in circulation to have n RFID includeing all LE. Then require all US citizens to have an RFID implanted and say the two have to match in a Central Archive database. Just make it real 1984. Just take it to the "Big Brother" extreme. I'm suprised the UN hasn't went this direction as crazy as they seem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links