Found Something Different About CCW... - Page 2

Found Something Different About CCW...

This is a discussion on Found Something Different About CCW... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Retarded....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Found Something Different About CCW...

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,271
    Retarded.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios


  2. #17
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

    3. When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says "concealed handgun permit," then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed.

    I didn't know this.
    That is interesting. I would also take that to mean that if a state issues a license or permit with restrictions such as handgun caliber, that would also be a requirement while carrying in IN.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That is interesting. I would also take that to mean that if a state issues a license or permit with restrictions such as handgun caliber, that would also be a requirement while carrying in IN.
    Or more specifically NV, where you can only carry what you qualified with - Make and caliber.

    Technically you are still abiding by the host state laws. They just opted to have that little caveat to make you feel more at home?
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  4. #19
    New Member Array starbasessd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That is interesting. I would also take that to mean that if a state issues a license or permit with restrictions such as handgun caliber, that would also be a requirement while carrying in IN.
    That would be correct.

  5. #20
    Lead Moderator
    Array rstickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Laurel, MD
    Posts
    21,961
    That's an interesting concept, and a good reminder to always know the law where you are going to carry!
    Rick

    EOD - Initial success or total failure

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array Gun Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Retarded.
    How is it "retarded"? You just have to abide by your permit/license, that's all! Most LEOs wouldn't know your states restrictions anyway.

    If I go to FL and carry on my IN license, would it make sense if I OCed? Why not? My license allows "me" to OC in my State!
    How about TX? Can I go into a bar? In Indiana I have no restrictions on carrying in a place that serves alcohol.
    Make sense?
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)


    "First Duty is To Remember"

  7. #22
    Senior Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kodak TN
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by starbasessd View Post
    Indiana is not an unrestricted Open Carry state, the 'permit' is a "License To Carry Handgun", which for a resident is required for either concealed or open carry. Hence the issue with out of state licenses. You must have a license to carry from another state, and abide by the type of license it is, either a concealed carry (CCW or similar) or general license to carry (LTCH or similar).
    Same with Tennessee. Ours is called a Handgun Carry Permit. Open or concealed is your choice but you gotta have a permit either way.

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    How is it "retarded"? You just have to abide by your permit/license, that's all! Most LEOs wouldn't know your states restrictions anyway.

    If I go to FL and carry on my IN license, would it make sense if I OCed? Why not? My license allows "me" to OC in my State!
    How about TX? Can I go into a bar? In Indiana I have no restrictions on carrying in a place that serves alcohol.
    Make sense?
    If I'm reading the OP correctly, Indiana says you have to comply with what's on your license to carry, not whatever your home state's law says about all carrying.

    My license says "concealed" on it and, if I'm reading correctly, Indiana interprets this as "must conceal." Washington does not issue any license for open carry which means I won't have one specifying this. Therefore, in Indiana, I must conceal even though, by default, I am "permitted" to open carry in WA.

    Retarded.

    And moot, considering the odds of my visiting Indiana are slim.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

  9. #24
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    How is it "retarded"? You just have to abide by your permit/license, that's all! Most LEOs wouldn't know your states restrictions anyway.

    If I go to FL and carry on my IN license, would it make sense if I OCed? Why not? My license allows "me" to OC in my State!
    How about TX? Can I go into a bar? In Indiana I have no restrictions on carrying in a place that serves alcohol.
    Make sense?
    Yes, what you say makes sense. What is different about the IN firearm code is that it grants reciprocity to all states (WI and IL excepted) while IN permits are not honored by several states.

    So, A person with a restricted Residential or Sportsman's permit has reciprocity in IN but in the case of a Residential permit can only carry in his abode? A person with a Sportsman's permit can only use it while hunting certain game?
    I think I would be inclined to speak with the IN State Police before visiting especially if I had a restricted permit from my home state.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,837
    I guess it educated me that in some states if OC is legal, it may still require a license.

  11. #26
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I guess it educated me that in some states if OC is legal, it may still require a license.
    We discussed that problem with some Web sites.

    It's one of those traveling gun-traps.

    OC means different things in different States.

    For example, in Virginia it means you do not need a permit to OC. If you (both resident and non-resident) can legally possess/own a firearm, you can OC it -- with some (too many, IMHO) situs restrictions.

    OTOH in our neighbor to the north, Maryland, it means IF you are rich enough and are connected enough to get one of their RARE permits to carry, at all, you may OC (unlike OC in Texas).

    Also in Maryland, with the exception of armored car drivers who posses valid permits from other States and who are On Duty, they don't recognize permits from other States.

    Whereas here visitors who can legally possess/own a firearm can OC it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  12. #27
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    How is it "retarded"? You just have to abide by your permit/license, that's all! Most LEOs wouldn't know your states restrictions anyway.

    If I go to FL and carry on my IN license, would it make sense if I OCed? Why not? My license allows "me" to OC in my State!
    How about TX? Can I go into a bar? In Indiana I have no restrictions on carrying in a place that serves alcohol.
    Make sense?
    It's retarded because some states ARE OC states which don't require a permit to own or possess a firearm.

    For instance, here in California we don't need no stinking license to own a firearm. If I go to Indiana, can I OC on that basis? No. In fact I can't even bring my firearm into the State because I don't have one of their precious LTCF.

    OTOH, I have a CCW from California. Under the terms of my CCW permit I can carry concealed. I also, under our State Constitution OC in certain situations. If I go to Indiana with my CCW I can only carry concealed even though my carry is not limited to CC because of my permit.

    So, it's retarded because it creates situations where the state doesn't recognize legal OC because the state doens't believe that carry of a firearm is a Right instead of a privilege which can be limited by the issuance of a permit.

  13. #28
    Senior Member Array Gun Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    759
    I see some people are upset because if their license or permit does state a mode of carry they have to abide by said license.

    That is fine, but at least you can carry here because we recognize "all" licenses or permits from all States and Countries, but I can not say the the same in your(s) States. CA only allows OC "only' if the handgun is empty! Talk about "retarded"! Such a great gun loving State! Glad you have such freedom!

    It's retarded because some states ARE OC states which don't require a permit to own or possess a firearm.
    Epic fail! We do not require nothing to "own or posses" a firearm!

    In fact I can't even bring my firearm into the State because I don't have one of their precious LTCF.
    Again, fail! You may travel through the State as long as your destination is within or you are passing through, just can not travel around the State! Can I bring my AKM or AR to your State and drive around? With 30rd mags? Loaded in the weapon? You can here! At least I will never have to renew "my precious LTCH"!
    Edit: You may carry with your CA CCW in Indiana all you want as long as you abide by your CCW.

    So, it's retarded because it creates situations where the state doesn't recognize legal OC because the state doens't believe that carry of a firearm is a Right instead of a privilege which can be limited by the issuance of a permit.
    And like I said, your State is soooo gun friendly. isn't it? Enjoy your freedom, I'd rather have my "retarded" State!!!
    Last edited by Gun Bunny; May 23rd, 2010 at 01:55 AM.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)


    "First Duty is To Remember"

  14. #29
    Member Array jackg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    97
    You don't need a CPL to OC.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

  15. #30
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,786
    In Indiana, we have whats called common sense. The weapons listed that you can carry in your state, do not mean you could not carry your brand new Glock that is not on your permit. Please do, and bring it to the range so we can all oooooooooooooo and ahhhhhhhhhh over it. We also have lifetime licenseing. Unlike other states which PERMIT you to carry. I am LICENSED to carry a firearm. That means that I can carry my weapon in any manner i see fit in my state. I could duct tape a holster to my forehead and walk around if i wanted too. If I went to your state, even though OC is allowed here, I could not OC in say, Texas. All that law means is that if your license says concealed, conceal, if not and it is a handgun license, by all means, duct tape your holster to your head if you want. But our law is not stupid, and it is far less restrictive than most other state laws.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I found it!!!
    By atctimmy in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
  2. Found it! Found my most Favoriiite hand gun.
    By imthduke in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: July 26th, 2007, 06:51 PM
  3. FOUND a gun
    By SixBravo in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM