Found Something Different About CCW...

This is a discussion on Found Something Different About CCW... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I was researching something for my son in Indiana who is seeking his CCW permit and his first weapon. I have always assumed that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found Something Different About CCW...

Found Something Different About CCW...

Today I was researching something for my son in Indiana who is seeking his CCW permit and his first weapon.

I have always assumed that one must follow the laws of the state when you're in that state...IN is an open carry state, but then I noted this on the USA Carry site Concealed Carry Info, Maps, Firearm Forums & Community for Permit Holders for IN...

3. When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says "concealed handgun permit," then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed.

I didn't know this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

That's wierd.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

If IN is an open carry state, can't "anyone" from any other state OC in IN?
    If so, then why couldn't anyone with an out of state permit, just OC and not even use said permit?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Today I was researching something for my son in Indiana who is seeking his CCW permit and his first weapon.

I have always assumed that one must follow the laws of the state when you're in that state...IN is an open carry state, but then I noted this on the USA Carry site Concealed Carry Info, Maps, Firearm Forums & Community for Permit Holders for IN...

3. When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says "concealed handgun permit," then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed.

I didn't know this.
    That was very weird ! That this implies that there are two different kinds of permits with different requirements? And what happens if for example you go to Indiana with your FL’s CCW; can you OC there? I am glad that you posted about this!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

IN Conceal or Open Carry

Indiana is not an unrestricted Open Carry state, the 'permit' is a "License To Carry Handgun", which for a resident is required for either concealed or open carry. Hence the issue with out of state licenses. You must have a license to carry from another state, and abide by the type of license it is, either a concealed carry (CCW or similar) or general license to carry (LTCH or similar).
    Last edited by starbasessd; May 20th, 2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: clarification of license types

Quote Originally Posted by starbasessd View Post
    Indiana is not an unrestricted Open Carry state, the 'permit' is a "License To Carry Handgun", which for a resident is required for either concealed or open carry. Hence the issue with out of state licenses. You must have a license to carry from another state, and abide by the type of license it is, either a concealed carry (CCW or similar) or general license to carry (LTCH or similar).
    That makes sense. Welcome to the forum from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    That makes sense. Welcome to the forum from Southwestern Virginia.
    In Indiana, 'them's fightin' words' We are in the State Of Confusion, here Thanks for the welcome, hope I can contribute as well as learn...

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbasessd View Post
    Do you mean that people from FL that have a concealed weapon permit (there is not OC in FL) are not allowed to OC in Indiana?

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Never heard of that....thanks for the info.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    yes, if your permit just says license to carry handgun, or similar, you may carry on it. if it says concealed carry permit, or license or basically if it has CONCEALED on it anywhere, it must REMAIN concealed, if not, open carry away
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

wow. Thats a new one on me. Thanks for the post retsupt
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

GM
    Excerpt from OpenCarry.org, OpenCarry.org - State Information For Indiana :“Indiana is not a traditional open carry state. However, with an Indiana permit, open carry is legal.” And USA carry, http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_conc...formation.html , says (at the bottom of the page) "3. When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says "concealed handgun permit," then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed.” That was very weird!

Thanks for the tip Ret that kinda makes a lil sense actually I still need to ponder it a bit more.

Wow never would've thought that. Good catch!

I discovered this via LegalHeat, the iPhone app.

Interesting language, hunh? I only go to IN about twice a year despite my close proximity to it. I CC while there, and with no issues...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links