Practice and Carry different calibers?

This is a discussion on Practice and Carry different calibers? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a P229/.40 or P239/.40...but also practice with a Beretta 92FS/9mm and MK9 (as my BUG).... no big deal to me......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice and Carry different calibers?

I carry a P229/.40 or P239/.40...but also practice with a Beretta 92FS/9mm and MK9 (as my BUG)....

no big deal to me...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

Your point of impact is going to be different. When you order replacement sights 9mm/.357 use one front sight (#8) and .40/.45 use a different one(#6).
    These are supposed to put you dead on with that round at ( I forget which) either 25 or 50 meters. I would not be surprised if they built the pistols shipped with both barrels with a #7 front sight as a compromise.

At "typical" combat ranges the difference should not be very much but it could a factor as range increases or if in a real nasty situation very precise shot placement is for some reason required.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Not a bad idea at all. It's not like your training with a 9mm on a high speed, rapid fire course, then you plan on carrying a .44 magnum revolver.

My grip is the same on all my autos. I carry a 1911, but there's nothing wrong with me training and carrying an M&P 9mm at times though as long as I'm proficient with both.

I had an HK in .40 that came with a .357 barrel. Both shot similar for me and the POA/POI were the same at 25 yards for me. Seeing as we're talking an inch or two difference at 100 yards, that wouldn't be much concern for me.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I ve been thing of getting a 40 because around here you cant find 380,45 acp or 9 mm. But theres all kinds of 40

Practice and Carry different calibers?

90% dry firing and practice drawing from the holster.

When it comes to practicing with bullets, I believe it is best to stay with the same caliber. Muscle memory is important.

I am happy with the 40 for cost, capacity, availability and effectiveness. I have a 45 but cost is higher, availability is sparse but effectiveness is very good. The 357 Magnum cost is moderate, capacity of gun is low (5 bullets) availability is decent and is very effective.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Personally, i prefer the .40 for every use imaginable, I cannot see myself carrying a 9mm, or a .380, the smallest i go is .38 At the range, .40 is forgiving to a certain point, although after shooting my target goal of 200 rounds a session, my wrists do have a little tinge of pain. Would I trust my life on the .40 round vs. a .357? Yes and i do everyday, I have also placed my trust in my .357 Security Six multiple times. would i use it for EDC, no, overpenetration is a major downside, as is the recoil and noise factor of a magnum round. You shoot a .357 in a building, you will feel it later. A .40, a little bit, but not as noticiable as .357. In my opinion they are both great, but a .40 is the best round for self defense IN MY PERSONAL opinion. At the end of the day, are you comfortable doing it that way, if you answer yes, go for it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by grapefish View Post
    Hello everyone... I have a question which may seem silly.

I have a Sig 229 and both the .40sw and .357sig barrels for it. I was considering practicing with the .40 ammo for lower cost, and carrying loaded with .357.

Does this sound like a bad idea?

I know several people who practice with range ammo and carry defensive loads (for obvious reasons) but the recoil difference between those isn't as significant as that between the 40/357.

What are your thoughts?
    It's not a bad idea, and I do it as well.

However, I would urge you to use some defensive ammo each practice session as well to keep familiarization with your carry round. Ten or fifteen rounds at 15 Yards or so should do the trick.

Biker

Practice is always good, especially with your ONE main gun; wise advice which I too have often ignored, of course.

Eventually, if you practice enough, it will require the use of .22s for some of it, unless you are independeently wealthy.

As BikerRn stated, finishing off with some work with carry caliber is good idea.

Thanks for all the responses.

I do cycle defensive ammo through the gun once a month or so, and I shoot a SW 22A quite a bit for much cheaper range time.

Most of my "free" time at home (watching TV etc.) is spent dry-firing with draw/present drills and mag changes, so that's where the bulk of my handling comes.

I appreciate all the advice!

EDIT: Several responses seem to refer to .357 Magnum; the caliber I switch to is .357 Sig in the same firearm. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    Last edited by grapefish; May 22nd, 2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added caliber clarification.

any chance of you starting to reload? then you could do both even cheaper? Otherwise i agree with the majority of people, trigger time is good time. dry fire is always good to do and is suggested by all the top shooters. good luck!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Why practice with .40 and carry .357? I am not a big fan of .40, but I rather carry it than a .357. Although it is true that any practice is good, I prefer to practice with the caliber and firearm that I carry.

My thoughts exactly.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

To paraphrase an ex-president, "it depends upon your definition of practice."

For my routine plinking and other such fun stuff, I shoot my .22s. To keep my hand in with my other handguns I shoot them all, no matter what cartridge they are chambered for.

My SD practice, however, is with my carry gun; it does little good to practice combat shooting and tactics with something else when I am carrying a .40S&W. Since the overwhelming majority of my centerfire rounds are my own hand loads, cost is not the issue it is with non-handloader. My hand loads do, however, match my carry ammo as far as bullet weight and velocity are concerned.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    To paraphrase an ex-president, "it depends upon your definition of practice."

For my routine plinking and other such fun stuff, I shoot my .22s. To keep my hand in with my other handguns I shoot them all, no matter what cartridge they are chambered for.

My SD practice, however, is with my carry gun; it does little good to practice combat shooting and tactics with something else when I am carrying a .40S&W. Since the overwhelming majority of my centerfire rounds are my own hand loads, cost is not the issue it is with non-handloader. My hand loads do, however, match my carry ammo as far as bullet weight and velocity are concerned.

+1 i agree
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Guilty, because it is more fun to shoot bigger heavier longer guns at longer ranges, the fun guns that you can or do rarely, if ever, carry concealed, especially when it is warm outside and there's no clothes to hide them with. I have to make myself shoot my Ruger LCP and SP-101 guns, with my Kel-Tec P-11 and Smith Model 60, guns that hurt my trigger finger and hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links