Practice and Carry different calibers?

This is a discussion on Practice and Carry different calibers? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone... I have a question which may seem silly. I have a Sig 229 and both the .40sw and .357sig barrels for it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice and Carry different calibers?

Hello everyone... I have a question which may seem silly.

I have a Sig 229 and both the .40sw and .357sig barrels for it. I was considering practicing with the .40 ammo for lower cost, and carrying loaded with .357.

Does this sound like a bad idea?

I know several people who practice with range ammo and carry defensive loads (for obvious reasons) but the recoil difference between those isn't as significant as that between the 40/357.

What are your thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The most important thing is that you practice with the same style gun. Since you are using the same gun with different barrells, I don't see a problem.

Almost any practice is good practice.

Shooting .22s is cheap, but you'll gain the trigger time. You can practice with any type of gun, but use most of the time with your primary.

I seriously doubt that in a self-defense situation you'll notice any difference between the .40 and .357!

Do not forget that dry-firing is the most important method of practice.

When I was heavily involved in IPSC, 90% of my practice loads were light. A week or so before the match I only shot the match loads.

So, relax and enjoy your practice sessions. You'll be okay.

Stay safe.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Mic
    Why not just carry the .40 cal, it's a great SD round. I do like the .375 sig but finding ammo at a decent price is a challenge.

What round you practice with shouldn't make a difference as long as you do practice.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

This is why I chose to carry a 9mm. One round that is affordable to practice with, formidable for self-defense, and easily found. I have no interest in monkeying with changing barrels or conversion kits. Sure a .357 sig, .40 s&w, and .45 acp are better SD calibers (in some ways) but the 9mm is pretty damn good. I chose a great all around gun (GLOCK 19) for concealed carry, competition use, and range fun. The only difference I run into is the standard pressure FMJ range ammo and the +p SD ammo that I carry and it's not much difference.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

GM
    Why practice with .40 and carry .357? I am not a big fan of .40, but I rather carry it than a .357. Although it is true that any practice is good, I prefer to practice with the caliber and firearm that I carry.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Shoot with a shot timer and see if there's any real difference between your times shot-to-shot with the two. I doubt it will be much. For draw and fire drills there's no difference for the time to first shot since theres no recoil to consider.

What advantage do you expect to gain by using .357 sig over .40S&W?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Choice of round one shoots isn't always about the money. I enjoy shooting different calibers and shoot my 45 ACP as much as my .22 as much as my 9mm Mak. Practice is practice. I certainly don't suggest shooting only .22 for practice and then carry a cannon for SD without developing proficiency with it first.

.40 versus .357 SIG? A noticable difference probably, but not a significant one. I think you made a wise move to get the extra barrel and expand your shooting world beyond one caliber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    You could even go one step further and get a .22 conversion. The platform does not make the difference. As was stated trigger time is trigger time. The more you shoot the better you become IF you practice the right technique.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    This is why I chose to carry a 9mm. One round that is affordable to practice with, formidable for self-defense, and easily found.
    .40 cal is only .50 more a box than 9mm for target ammo around here. And there's plenty of supply. More than 9mm. At least here in Atlanta.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ... Practice is practice. I certainly don't suggest shooting only .22 for practice and then carry a cannon for SD without developing proficiency with it first. ...
    90+ % of my practice is dry-firing, so balancing the elements of SD is naturally critical.

I doubt anyone suggests shooting .22s to master anything between .22 to 500 S&W Magnum.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

VIP Member
    In my Sig 2340 357/40 and the .40sw and .357sig, the poi were different by quite a few moi. One of the reasons I got rid of it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I see no problem. In fact, from what I understand the .40 is kinder to the gun than the .357, so go for it!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    .40 cal is only .50 more a box than 9mm for target ammo around here. And there's plenty of supply. More than 9mm. At least here in Atlanta.
    For some reason the same happens in South FL; .40 range ammo is easier to find than 9mm. Today I went to WW to get some range ammo, and again they had a lot of .40 but not 9mm. However, the price here is almost $4 more per 50 rounds box Federal.
    Last edited by GM; May 21st, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links