Took a long time but, My first LEO encounter. - Page 2

Took a long time but, My first LEO encounter.

This is a discussion on Took a long time but, My first LEO encounter. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tbrenke My drivers window was down, that may be the resion he went to the passenger side. yeah the do like the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Took a long time but, My first LEO encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    My drivers window was down, that may be the resion he went to the passenger side.
    yeah the do like the passenger side don't they!
    Matthew <><
    Helotes, Texas

Beretta/Stoeger Cougar 8000f -blued, 9mm
    Kel-Tec PF9- 9mm, hard chrome
    Ruger LCP with CT

As a one man unit, he's just looking for "an edge".

A great story with a happy ending!
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

What?!?

No strip search?

No "assume the position"?

No fondling of your guns?

No trip downtown?

Maybe he's an XD lover.

Glad it went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    ... Traffic stops are a legal means of initiating contacts. More contacts means more bad guys found. Depending on the number of calls received, eight or ten stops a shift was not uncommon.
    Keep on fishing, I do not mind much when they go like that.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Very Good.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Maybe he's an XD lover.
    Glad it went well.
    Actually he was probably a tolerant Glock lover.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To the OP...
    Sounds like a good stop to me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds to me you did most things wrong... everyone knows that you should start shouting a the PO "I've got a gun, I've got a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Only kidding, glad things went the way they did... must have been a seasoned officer. Bunker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I just love it when a plan comes together!
    ^^^^^I Pity The Fool!!!^^^^
    Ahem,,,Sorry, flashbacks of the A TEAM!!

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Very nice LEO! And you did everything right.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Exactly as it should be!

^^^^Amen Brother^^^^

We all can only hope for an interaction such as this, As long as WE do everything correct.

Our country was not founded on the absence of religion, but rather the freedom to choose religion, or not. It was founded to be free of dictated faith and allow free expression.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    good job on both sides of the story
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    My drivers window was down, that may be the resion he went to the passenger side.
    MANY officers around here go to the passenger side because it's safer for them - maybe from you, but definitely from passing cars.

There have been a couple of cases here in MN where state troopers were killed standing alongside a stopped vehicle, because another car hit them. (At least one was drunk, and went to prison for manslaughter).

Since then, I've always seen them approach the side of the car away from traffic. If the pull was to the left shoulder, that'll be the driver's side.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I have read a number of these threads and thought I would post a comment on them.

Police work is like fishing only you are trying to catch criminals. Other than those assigned to or specifically interested in traffic enforcement, minor traffic violations are a method of trolling. By and large they (cops) have no interest in harassing citizens, they are looking for bad guys. Traffic stops are a legal means of initiating contacts. More contacts means more bad guys found. Depending on the number of calls received, eight or ten stops a shift was not uncommon.

I consider the needless pretext stops to be harrassment in and of themselves.

I got pulled over tuesday by a CSP outside of Pueblo the stop went exactly (IMO) the way a traffic stop should go.

1. I knew I was going to get pulled over so I had my turn signal on before the cop ever lit me up.

2. I had my wallet in my hand and my DL/POI? and registration out when he approached the car.

3. Very first thing he said was "Good afternoon sir, I clocked you doing 68 in a 55 zone. That's 13 miles over the limit , you will be cited for your speed today."

4. He took my paperwork walked back to his car, wrote the ticket came back explained the payment options to me and said "Please Be careful puling back out into traffic sir. Have a nice day."

To which I replied "Drive safely Officer." And he looked at me like a I was nuts.

My gun never once jumped out on my holster. I never mentioned I was armed, He dealt strictly W/ the business at hand and I was on my way no fishing trips, no gotcha games.

Exactly the way it's supposed to be

Traffic violations are legitimate stops.
    What happens from there depends on circumstances.

jfl
    My wife was stopped a while ago on I-95 by FHP for the same reason.
    She gives DL, reg. ins. to the trooper; he says "You hace a CCW" she says "Yes".
    He says "Where is your gun?"
    She says "At home"
    He gets upset "You're just like my wife ! You go to the trouble of getting a CCW, here you are at night on the Interstate and your gun is at home !!! OK tell your husband to fix your light and keep your gun in the car if you don't want to carry it."

It was her first interaction with a LEO after she got her CCW and she just couldn't believe it
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I love feel good LEO stories.

I got a ticket once for no tag light (long before CC in Kansas). When I got to work I got out and they were working. I called the police and they came by a verified they worked and voided the ticket. I was pleased with the end result but a TICKET for a tag light!
    Over the years I was stopped twice in CT for having an expired registration sticker on my plate... talk about a trivial reason! This is the little postage-stamp-sized sticker that goes into one of the corners of the plate. Mind you, a simple registration check by the LEO will establish whether the registration is valid and up to date.

The first time, a Stratford cop followed me into the Lycoming parking lot and parked behind my car after I parked... he never lit up the lights, just rolled his window down and asked to see my license. I had no idea why I was stopped until he told me the current sticker was missing. He already knew my reg was OK and told me so.

The second time it was a very young CT State Trooper that pulled me over in Woodbury, and boy, this guy was one step short of mean and rude. Absolutely no errant driving on my part... guess it was just a slow day. He must have had binocs to see that little sticker from where he was parked. Turns out someone ripped off my sticker, but he read me the riot act first and threatened a ticket of over $100. After he called in my license and insurance stuff, he eventually came back and lectured me some more about the offense. He let me go, grudgingly... what a tool.

In both cases there was a handgun in the car, but there was absolutely no need to make that declaration in either case. The young trooper with the attitude problem probably would have called for a SWAT team for backup if I had.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links