Doctor carry...

This is a discussion on Doctor carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have worked in hospitals for over 30 years. Most do not allow concealed carry, but then again most do not check. I have tried ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor carry...

I have worked in hospitals for over 30 years. Most do not allow concealed carry, but then again most do not check. I have tried just about everything from one time or another. The most comfortable, all day carry is the Smart Carry with a Kahr PM9/Laserguard. It has enough so as not to be a mouse, and is flat enough to hide well under scrub pants. Tee Shirt holsters, shoulder holsters for under the shirt, belly bands, etc. are easily "made" from a friendly hug. The Smart Carry is usually "safe".
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Where do you guys work? I have never been in a hospital that allows you to carry a knife much less pack a pistol, and I've been working in hospitals for over 25 years.
    Not allowed to carry a knife? Must be a real bugger for the doctors to perform surgery without scalpels......

(Not busting your chops, just reacting to the stupidity of such a policy)
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Doctor carry...

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    I'm looking for those who have/do carry while wearing scrubs all day at their medical profession.

My Bro-in-law will soon receive a Sig P250 .45 sub compact for Fathers Day. He is a doctor, moving to Detroit mid-June. He wants to carry 24/7, and of course wears scrubs and a lab coat here and there.

The first thing that I thought of was the Smartcarry system, but what else is out there? What do you use, have you heard of others using who might be in the same boat?

Thanks,

Jason
    I presume that he is an ER doc since I cannot imagine an OB/GYN, surgeon, anesthesiologist, radiologist or critical care doctor being at risk of getting shot. Even if he were armed what does he expect to do? Kill a patient who he is trying to save because the person is drunk and belligerent? Does he expect the (name the game) posse to shoot everyone?

He is better off getting a lightweight bullet proof vest and getting a nonlethal weapon like Kimber's Pepper spray apparatus, a taser or stun gun. Better yet, he can arm himself with a syringe of succinylcholine (paralytic) and have fun putting a breathing tube down the idiot's airway. I have seen that done in some ERs of level 1 trauma centers. 2 expletives and you've bought yourself an intimate moment with a ventilator.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I presume that he is an ER doc since I cannot imagine an OB/GYN, surgeon, anesthesiologist, radiologist or critical care doctor being at risk of getting shot. Even if he were armed what does he expect to do? Kill a patient who he is trying to save because the person is drunk and belligerent? Does he expect the (name the game) posse to shoot everyone?

He is better off getting a lightweight bullet proof vest and getting a nonlethal weapon like Kimber's Pepper spray apparatus, a taser or stun gun. Better yet, he can arm himself with a syringe of succinylcholine (paralytic) and have fun putting a breathing tube down the idiot's airway. I have seen that done in some ERs of level 1 trauma centers. 2 expletives and you've bought yourself an intimate moment with a ventilator.
    Everybody is always at risk of getting shot.

Bullet "proof" isn't and can be vulnerable to knife attacks.

You don't want to be spraying OC all over an ER (or anywhere else in a hospital) where you're likely to contaminate everyone there and have patients who's breathing may already be compromised due to illness.

You don't want to use tasers and stun guns around oxygen.

And the only time anyone is going to use succs to "take down" a beligerent or combative person is on TV or in the movies.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I'm looking for those who have/do carry while wearing scrubs all day at their medical profession.

My Bro-in-law will soon receive a Sig P250 .45 sub compact for Fathers Day. He is a doctor, moving to Detroit mid-June. He wants to carry 24/7, and of course wears scrubs and a lab coat here and there.

The first thing that I thought of was the Smartcarry system, but what else is out there? What do you use, have you heard of others using who might be in the same boat?

Thanks,

Jason
    Is he going to work in a hospital in Detroit?

If so, he will NOT be ble to carry at all.

Hospitals are one of Michigan's Pistol Free Zones.

Is he moving to Detroit itself, or a suburb?

There are many beauyiful and very safe areas just outside of Detroit,
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetchuck View Post
    There are many...very safe areas just outside of Detroit,
    ...you're a funny guy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I'm a LEO and a respiratory therapist. When I work in the hospital I wear scrubs and I carry a j-frame in an ankle holster. Scrubs are too thin to hide anything else.

Also, a .45 Sig in a Smart Carry is going to make him mighty popular with the ladies cause you can't hide a .45 round in scrubs, let alone a gun!

Where do you buy your scrubs, Wal Mart?

I wear Dickies and clip on suspenders an I can get away W/ a CZ RAMI

Better yet, he can arm himself with a syringe of succinylcholine (paralytic) and have fun putting a breathing tube down the idiot's airway. I have seen that done in some ERs of level 1 trauma centers. 2 expletives and you've bought yourself an intimate moment with a ventilator.

Yeah cause that wouldn't get your license or your cert pulled or anything like that.

I hope you have good malpractice insurance

G17
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Where do you guys work? I have never been in a hospital that allows you to carry a knife much less pack a pistol, and I've been working in hospitals for over 25 years.
    X3!!!

Michigan Hospitals

Michigan hospitals are weapons free zones. It is against the law to conceal carry in one.

But, with a CPL, you can open carry. Not sure a Dr. would be able to do that though...

Thanks,

Jason
    I carry a glock 23 with a don hume IWB holster at 11 o'clock , never a problem conceal just fine

First of all, no disrespect intended, but your argument is what the anti's use. "The world is safe, no one needs a gun." While he may be safe while at work in the hospital, how about walking to his car early in the morning or late at night? Or when someone comes in to finish off their gunshot wound victim, as often happens in gang violence? Or when someone goes crazy on him because he had to tell them that their wife or kid just passed away?

Hey look scrub pants with pockets I wonder if I can fit my Walther PPS in there

Learn something new every day...there are multiple makers of scrubs, even though they all look the frickin' same...wow.

uncballzer congrats on graduation...I got 3 more years to go, if I survive the process and both USMLEs...

CDRGlock: Anesthesiologists have access to some pretty big-time drugs as far as I know - that's a huge target on their heads right there already...

Added: Crap, beaten to the punch, oh well...
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

I know a dr that got fired for carrying-in the office. He was an employee of a system-hospital/office.

Fanny Pack

I worked in a large trauma center for a number of years, and quite a few of my coworkers (both doctors and nurses) carried their trauma supplies in a fanny pack. I think you could successfully CC that way without raising suspicions. Besides, a scrub top almost completely covers a fanny pack.
    Glock 19 GNS
    CrossBreed SuperTuck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links