WARNING: Gun must be empty and chamber open (Gun Stores/Ranges)

This is a discussion on WARNING: Gun must be empty and chamber open (Gun Stores/Ranges) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In VA, the sign means nothing. You get caught, they ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave or return and get caught carrying ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WARNING: Gun must be empty and chamber open (Gun Stores/Ranges)

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    In VA, the sign means nothing. You get caught, they ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave or return and get caught carrying again, you can get charged with criminal tresspassing.

2. Remove Ads

This typcially refers to guns that are not holstered. Those carried by hand or in a case are the target audience.

Jason, I disagree. It is unlawful to carry a concealed weapon onto private property when prohibited by the owner. That will get your permit taken if you find the right combination of owner and police officer.

ETA:
    §18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.
    Or, for whatever reason, cited differently: O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.
    Last edited by titleist; May 23rd, 2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Edited to add statute

Store I go to has no problem with CCW - however, if you plan on showing them your gun for some reason, they'd much prefer you'd CC a different gun and bring the one you want them to look at unloaded. If you do give them a loaded gun, they will unload and check it. But I can tell they are not comfortable with being presented with a loaded gun. I don't blame them.

After they examine one you gave them loaded, they will ask you to reload it outside.

I avoid the whole thing by bringing any gun I want them to examine unloaded. I think it's being respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post

Jason, I disagree. It is unlawful to carry a concealed weapon onto private property when prohibited by the owner. That will get your permit taken if you find the right combination of owner and police officer.
    Depends on the state. Here in Minnesota the sign means just what Jason says: "You get caught, they ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave or return and get caught carrying again, you can get charged with criminal tresspassing."

I can walk past any private sign and only after they ask me to leave, I've to leave or I'm trespassing.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

in the places I go in CT, the sign does not apply if you are concealed carrying (and the signs even mention that)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I think insurance liability is the driving force behind these signs.
    In Ohio that is not the case. The blame would rest firmly on the CCW'ers shoulders.

The local range has a sign that asks guns to be in a case or in a holster. CCW is welcome and they do not say anything about unloading.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Gander Mountain

My Gander Mountain Store has a similar sign up about bringing guns in the store. It has at the bottom except CPL holders. The gun store owners I talked to said the sign don't apply to CPL holders but for guns brought in for trade or repair. If you need work on your carry gun unload it BEFORE you enter the store. I wish stores would have a sand bucket to safely clear your gun out side before you come it. We had such a bucket at my club range but was removed because the smokers used it as a ashtray even though it was marked not cigarette buts or spitting, I think smokers can't read from all the smoke clouds hanging around them. The Air Force had these buckets at the armory and other places were they needed them.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007BondJames View Post
    My Gander Mountain Store has a similar sign up about bringing guns in the store. It has at the bottom except CPL holders. The gun store owners I talked to said the sign don't apply to CPL holders but for guns brought in for trade or repair. If you need work on your carry gun unload it BEFORE you enter the store. I wish stores would have a sand bucket to safely clear your gun out side before you come it. We had such a bucket at my club range but was removed because the smokers used it as a ashtray even though it was marked not cigarette buts or spitting, I think smokers can't read from all the smoke clouds hanging around them. The Air Force had these buckets at the armory and other places were they needed them.
    so when someone came in covered in sand did you get a good laugh?

Bill: "hey Steve what happened?"
    Steve: "aw the darn thing just went off!"
    Bill: "it went off all by itself?"
    steve:
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    At gun shows it's a different category, but FL law says in section 790.06 under the heading Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License "any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;"

Now what does that mean? I'm no lawyer but it says to me that you can carry into the gun show legally but they can also ask you to leave the building they're using if they choose to.
    Gun shows are not a "professional athletic event" nor are they usually (if ever) held at a school or college, so I doubt this portion of the statute applies. I believe it would only apply if the "school, college, or professional athletic event," although unlikely these days, were having a shooting competition or something like that.

Yes, anyplace can ask you to leave if carrying, and you're obligated to do so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    If they truly mean what they say, what activities do they allow on the range?
    Our local INDOOR range is like that you cant take any loaded gun into the range..but thats because they have one of those lead free ranges that uses the(forgive spelling) frangible rounds and they want to be SURE your gun has no ammo in it that the backstop would not stop ebcause its literally right in the middle of a neighborhood with houses about 25 yards away on all sides...I think they did this ebcause someone ignored the sign brought in their gun had a mag in the chamber probably with some kind of full house P+ SD load and when the first round went off and almost punched a hole in the range wall..that was it..now they inspect everything that comes in..the sign says no loaded guns..but it means for the RANGE not just if your shopping.

I asked the gunsmith at Gander Mountain if he wanted me to bring my stopped-up/jammed-bullet handgun inside, and he told me to do so. Outside, at my car, I took out the loaded magazine and cleared and checked the chamber, reholstering it to bring it back inside the door, holding it and the holster up and pointing the muzzle into the air at the ceiling. Another Gander Mountain man took it from me at the door and carried it back to the gunsmith for me. Trigger fingers held pointed straight, laying upon the holster with retainer strap snapped, pointed toward the ceiling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links